Three Emirates Skywards Questions

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

• ghostwrita
    Participant

I get acknowledged pretty much every time I fly, and nowadays I flow economy about half the time. I also always get the fast track card and I’m generally allowed small allowances such as keeping my headphones after they’re collected and some drinks from Business class when in economy.

But yes, I think this is more down to luck than design. I know EK had become very patchy. If Qatar become more consistent schedule-wise I’ll definitely switch.

ghostwrita
    Participant

Ermm….no. There is a higher tier. IO. Google it, there’s a picture of the member’s card, and the black Range Rovers with the IO on teh side are for their use. My CEO is on it, but he’s very smug about it all and won’t say what the criteria is .

CharlieThomas22
    Participant

There are three Skywards tiers; Blue, Silver and Gold. IO is clearly no secret being plastered over Google, but is certainly not a Skywards tier, it’s an exclusive Invitation Only concept.

Flickersboy
    Participant

I have been an Emirates Gold card holder for many years now, and feel that it is no longer exclusive, with the benefits getting fewer and fewer as each year passes. I have got my next Gold card covered by March/April in the last few years but get ZERO benefits for showing loyalty in the 5 or 6 months between then and my renewal month – any points earned in this time are deemed useless as my tally returns to nought on commencement of the next year; even if 50% of the surplus miles were rolled over it would be something, but to wipe them all out is an absolute disgrace!

There is an obvious need for a platinum level yet this continues to be ignored by Emirates whose response is to cheat FF’s out of miles by twisting the allocation with Saver and Flex rates.

In-flight service has been patchy for some time, and whilst I don’t expect a red carpet reception, as a Gold card holder I am often ignored on flights (as others have said in this chain) and have on some occasions missed out on meals as my preferred choice has been given out before I have been reached.

The business lounge in Dubai is often packed out, pc’s in their computer room are old and incredibly slow (although wifi is fine), and food offered is average at best.

Whilst Emirates seem to have staff that can speak every language you can think of, unfortunately many of their current staff have poor English skills (the global business language) and this too makes service slower than in previous years.

Now a resident in KSA, having lived in the Gulf for over 20 years with much of that time in the Emirates, I regularly opt to first travel to Dubai (rather than taking a direct flight from carriers in KSA or Bahrain) before travelling on to Europe or the Far East, but if Qatar Airways, Etihad, KLM, Lufthansa, BA, or Virgin, decided to accept Skywards miles as an incentive to switch over to their loyalty plan then I think I would not take too long before deciding to move.

Flickersboy
    Participant

Further to my last post I have since discovered that there is actually a ‘Platinum’ level mentioned on the Emirates booking terminals, listed between Gold and IO.

I have personally seen it on an Emirates booking screen in the airport so this is not a rumour!

I then approached Skywards about this in the Dubai business lounge and whilst this my request for information on Platinum status was initially met with blank stares, I eventually got ‘it is not ready for roll out so we cannot comment’ from a Skywards staff member.

It is about time that Emirates pulled their finger out on this as they have many disgruntled frequent flyers – they have also launched an extra miles program for those who get Gold early, but this is just paying lip service in my opinion, and has no real value.

PaulMain
    Participant

You thought Ryan Air was bad try this!

I attempted via the internet to buy two economy tickets and then use my skyward miles to upgrade to business. (Emirates web site requires you to buy the tickets first and then upgrade). As the tickets were for 6 months in advance I assumed upgrades would be available. I bought the tickets and then attempted to upgrade them only to find there was no availability. I then phoned Emirates who agree to change the flight by a day or so and all was OK except that they insisted on charging me £300 because I had changed the date of my flight. No amount of discussion or subsequent letters has changed their position even though they have admitted that you have to buy the tickets before you can apply for the upgrade. I have had no resolution despite months of trying so now I have issued Court proceedings. Instead of accepting that Silver Club members for 4 years have a real value to Emirates they today dropped an 8 page legal defence in my post box so it looks like I will have my day in court. I will keep you posted

CharlieThomas22
    Participant

A department releases the seats at different points depending on how each individual flight is looking. Obviously, as with my company you want to sell tickets before giving them away, but understand how this is frustrating, indeed. Always best to check UG availability before making any booking as there’ll always be something in smallprint.

SimonS1
    Participant

It will be interesting to see what the outcome of the court proceedings is. Gut instinct is that you will come unstuck with the booking conditions (was there ever any evidence that an upgrade was available for the dates booked?) however if you are lucky then it will set an interesting precedent.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls