Three 2016 events

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

If you were to summarise 2016 in three events, what would they be (in no particular order)?

Swissdiver
    Participant

– Brexit
    – The end of Aleppo fights
    – BA turning its European economy product into a LCC one

Andrew66
    Participant

1. Brexit , no one thought it would happen .
    2. Trump , no one thought it would happen .
    3 . Leicester , no one thought it would happen .

4 . BA drifting towards LCC , everyone knew it would happen !

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

1) Brexi**it(*)
    2) The Donald
    3) Putin as “Man of the Year” (sic)

After what has happened in 2016, almost anything around airlines comes into the “also ran” category.

(*) I must be one of the few who realised that it could and would happen and I placed the biggest bet of my life on other people’s stupidity. So far I have gained over 18% on my punt and with others pricing Sterling at $1.10 by end 2017, there is plenty further to go.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

1. Article 50
    2. David Bowie & Prince passing
    3. Referendums and elections

However, in reality, it does not do 2016 justice to try and summarise the year in only 3 events.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

1. The continuing disasters in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon and elsewhere, with flagrant breaches of international humanitarian law
    2. Brexit, and irremediable disaster
    3. Trump, a disaster that may be remedied in four years’ time

MrMichael
    Participant

1. Brexit
    2. Trump
    3. Getting a £74 refund from Avis when I thought the T&C’s had me stuffed!

If I could have a fourth one………The fact the markets and Anthony Dunn consider Brexit to be more damaging to the UK economy than Trump being elected is to the US economy.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

1. Brexit
    2. Trump
    3. Uncontrolled immigration into the EU and the long lines of people from Syria and all points East, West and South coming up through the Balkans.

Like Anthony I shorted sterling but at 1.49 on the night of the referendum and closed out at 1.36 in the morning. I also thing we’ll go back to 1.10 but this will be beneficial for Britain’s exports and encourage Brits to buy – and hence produce – more at home. Article 50, bring it on!

pheighdough
    Participant

The birth of my son
    Brexit
    Trump

Bath_VIP
    Participant

1. Brexit
    2. Leicester City/Chicago Cubs/Ireland beating All Blacks, etc
    3. New Horizons (finally something travel related!)

Cloud-9
    Participant

My parents’ funerals in February and March

Brexit

Trump

JohnHarper
    Participant

Brexshit – A big mistake and I’m glad I don’t live in the UK any longer but I still doubt it will actually happen.

Trump – another big mistake which is happening and ought to be enough to stop sensible people continuing with Brexshit – but then again Mrs May lacks sense and has demonstrated that on many occasions in the past. Twelve months ago who would have thought she was a suitable candidate for Prime Minister. Still, everything will be alright as Grammar Schools will solve all other ills.

Syria, Iraq, Turkey, Nice and now Berlin. We know this won’t end any time soon and I admire the courage of people in the face of it. We went to Breitscheidplatz last night to light a candle and the atmosphere was amazing.

stevescoots
    Participant

Brexit: for the opportunities to come
    Trump: yet another reason to poke fun at my US friends
    currency movement, Sterling and the Yuan, paid for a few Xmas’s 🙂

TominScotland
    Participant

JohnHarper, 100% agree with you – you express my sentiments far better than I could have done!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls