Thomson B787 flies with one engine

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thomson has had its fare share of B787 Dreamliner issues but this one, which took place on August 4, is probably the most serious one to date.

It was a charter flight from the Dominican Republic to Manchester with 288 passengers on board.

While crossing the Atlantic, the flight crew had to shut down one engine owing to low oil pressure.

It meant the B787 had to fly for 90 mins on one engine. It was diverted to the Azores where it landed safely.

Yes I know that B787s, like all twin-engined aircraft, are designed to operate with one engine out of service.

But nevertheless I am sure that some passengers would find the experience distressing, especially as they would be flying over water.

There’s a report on AV Herald.

avherald.com/h?article=47862e6f&opt=1

Slightly distressing I agree. However, the 787 is approved for ETOPS 330. Therefore it was WAY within its limits. Having met Thomson crews I am sure they handled it expertly and soothed the nerves of any distressed passengers.

The bigger issue here is the Dreamliner as a whole. I was meant to get the BA Dreamliner from EWR last night. However, it went tech resulting in taking an ailing, but immaculately kept 777-200 back to LHR. I found that experience especially irritating as I had paid to change my flight in order to travel on the 787. The design fault was that the galley is above the avionics bay, as a result all the spills seep through and cause problems… The 787 has to head o Seattle for repairs. I would have liked BA to have informed us earlier, however, the brunt of the blame has to rest with Boeing for making a colossal myriad of issues for themselves and people travelling on their 787.

MrMichael
    Participant

I just don’t fancy getting on a 787 just yet. I accept it was within etops etc, but it still would worry the heck out of me. I still recall things like the BM keg worth incident where they shut the wrong engine down, another incident was the plane (also diverted to Azores) that ran out of gas half way across the Atlantic and had to glide to the island.

Wasn’t it Virgin that a few years ago used as it’s slogan four engines were safer than 2…..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello MrMichael

Virgin’s slogan was “four engines for long-haul” or words to that effect.

Yes I remember the A330 which glided into the Azores. It was a Canadian charter airline Air Transat and both of its two engines failed.

Amazingly the A330 actually glided above the Atlantic for quite a feew miles before making a rough but safe landing in the Azores.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/10/world/jet-pilot-who-saved-304-finds-heroism-tainted.html

nibbler
    Participant

The wiki page on the 4 engines 4 long haul rounds that out nicely. A bit of FUD from our friends at virgin …

“”4 engines 4 long haul” : At a time when competitors were switching to ETOPS twin engine airliners, Virgin’s fleet of A340s and B747s was all 4-engined, hinting at greater safety on long routes. Hastily removed when orders for A330s and B787s were announced.”

SimonS1
    Participant

The Transat flight glided 65 miles on empty. Amazing when you think of it.

Wasn’t Branson’s ‘4 engines 4 long hau’l doing the rounds at the same time as his flights powered by chip fat, starting grids etc?

JordanD
    Participant

Considering IFSDs are a semi-regular incident, not sure why this is getting more coverage, Alex. I know you like to inform us of anything Dreamliner tech, but beyond it being just another IFSD, why the extra reporting on it?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello JordanD

I felt this was newsworthy because a) isn’t it the first time that a B787 has suffered over water engine failure whilst on a transatlantic mission? and b) because this incident did not receive much coverage, if any, in the general media as it is too preoccupied with other stories right now.

http://avherald.com/h?article=47862e6f

MrMichael
    Participant

According to a pax in the Daily Mail, the aircraft “plummeted at 500ft a minute”. What a load of tosh, I am not even sure one would even notice descending gently at 500ft a minute.

KarlMarx
    Participant

I like the headline much more than ‘Thomson 787 doesn’t fly with one engine.’ 😉

canucklad
    Participant

Agreed KM…
    Who would want to read the “Real Life Times” article that would have headlined with…..

“ Dreamliner carries out routine precautionary landing after technical issue”

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times, you’ve gotta love the way our press exaggerates everything.

Most famous non powered aircraft must be the “ Gimli Glider”

JordanD
    Participant

Alex, I’d suggest (as others have alluded to), that maybe something appearing in the Daily Mail isn’t the best for an august publication as yourselves! Happy Friday …!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls