The Truth About BA – Can BA be trusted under WW?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 252 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Off to Sweet Tomatoe, down town Disney, followed by Menchies on Sandlake. Nothing to do with Willy (or even Willie) or BA, but the food taste good and I trust them both!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Ahem…………..yes!

Bruce98
    Participant

++So this is the tactic for Vintage Krug and his sidekick Martyn Sinclair. Take any thread they disagree with, post multiple puerile responses to reasonable comments and then demand that the thread is deleted as it attracts unpleasantness – despite Vintage Krug initiating and being the main culprit causing the unpleasantness.++

+1

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve no particular like or dislike for BA. I fly them maybe twice a year and have never had a bad experience. Perhaps if I lived in the UK I’d use them more often but that is not the case.

In common with many airlines, the share price is well down, the only exception to this seems to be Easyjet, but then they are a LCC with no frills and I believe are non-unionised. Is this where the BA detractors would like to see BA going, or is it just the unions who seem hell bent on destroying any successful UK company pleading it’s in their members interest when it’s usually in their own interest to try and achieve their aim of bringing companies down while enjoying fat salaries and perks themselves.

As to WW, I have met him on two occasions, and at one we were at the same table for lunch. He comes over as a very capable and intelligent person and has the sort of clout necessary to turn BA and IB round, even though I think the latter will be a battle.

However, if all you detractors are so against him and the way BA is run, then I suggest a few things for you to consider:

Do not fly BA – there’s plenty of competition out there
    Do not work for BA if you can’t stand the company. No one is forcing you to work for them
    Don’t be a shareholder – buy shares in Easyjet or perhaps Ryanair instead. They’ll probably be a better investment for you
    Or, buy shares, and put your views forward to the major shareholders and at the AGM. If you have enough support you can then demand a change of CEO and perhaps put yourself forward to run the airline!

Bruce98
    Participant

++…not a bad rap sheet for just 30-40 posts, some of which have had to be deleted since Saviour joining just four weeks ago, allegedly as a completely new poster to BT.++

Okay, since you question whether I am a new poster, why do you object to people asking who you are?

I seem to remember that your offensive ageist posts were deleted and it was these that I responded to, so no reason for mine to stay.

Let’s just face it, you like to dish it out, but not to take it back.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@Savior_Monk, I had replied to the previous comments I believe that were on another thread where VK indeed made a comment about the age of cabin crew on another carrier, to which you responded. VK then went into a ‘tizzy’ complaining that you attack him, and asking BT to delete the posts, which surprisingly BT did. I guess VK not only holds a vested interest in BA but in BT as well. What I had said, but was likewise deleted amongst all the other posts that day, was that while I dont always agree with VK, I do enjoy reading his posts (for the most part) and he does have an ‘uncanny’ insider track to all things BA which at times is very helpful. I likewise said for VK to complain about attacks when he often does likewise, or at a minimum comes off extremely high and mighty to the point of being pompous that basically, the old adage applies to him, ‘those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.’ So yes, as you say, VK loves to dish it out, but does not enjoy taking it. As for Mr. Sinclair, His posts I always feel are fair, unbiased, and never insulting, so I would not call him VK’s sidekick, maybe a supporter, but by no means his side-kick.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

LuganoPirate,

I have also met Walsh when he spoke at a university alumni meeting. Focused, pugnacious, egotistical with a penchant for advocating the stick over the carrot is how he came across, playing to his “A reasonable man gets nowhere in negotiations” quote. Appearing void of charismatic, influential, motivational skills/characteristics he didn’t take kindly to being challenged which is unusal for an apparently intellegent person. More lecturing than engaging.

Even though the more brash CEOs are more well known, it is the more influential, team orientated, even humble CEOs that are able to elicit the best, lasting performance from their team and company and ultimately shareholders.

If Walsh was CEO of an organisation which wasn’t so people centric, say a computer manufacturer or utility company then maybe his manner could cut it. However he is unable to inspire people, loyalty, trust or belief which will be critical to future performance of the company.

What has Walsh done to inspire his troops? Powerful nuggets of wisdom? Motivating quotes? Maybe he should at least apply some from Jack Welch….

“The world will belong to passionate, driven leaders – people who not only have enormous amounts of energy but who can energize those whom they lead.”

“Giving people self-confidence is by far the most important thing that I can do. Because then they will act.”

“If change is happening on the outside faster than on the inside the end is in sight.”

or even

“My main job was developing talent. I was a gardener providing water and other nourishment to our top 750 people. Of course, I had to pull out some weeds, too.”

In transformational ability terms, Walsh is the antithesis of David Maxwell whilst in strategic nous/leadership Walsh shares nothing in common with Bill Allen (ex Boeing)

Edited to add –
    And please LuganoPirate, become open minded to the fact that there are many many Walsh detractors, like myself, who have no connections whatsoever with any Union… and also vote Tory (or UKIP)

Bruce98
    Participant

Dutch Yankee

I have no ax to grind with Mr Sinclair. I notice that I cut and pasted a sentence that scoped him in, as I try to quote sentences in full.

However, I agree with your view.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Savior_Monk – if you really would like to know anything about me, please email me and I will galdly send you what ever you want to know. My email address is martynsinclair @ hotmail . com

I feel confident it will not change your life, but feel free to let your mind wonder.

On any forum where where people have been posting for some years, there are bound to be “cyberspace relationships/connections”.

This is a business travel forum, not a match making service (although, I have to admit, I have met several really nice people through BT Forum).

I hope this thread is removed on Monday.

PS – Sweet Tomatoes and Menchies were fabulous last night.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Mr. Sinclair – why don’t you and your compadre Vintage Krug just desist from opening this thread? Many times you have advocated similar. There would not be a problem with it if you both stayed away.

Bruce98
    Participant

++Savior_Monk – if you really would like to know anything about me, please email me and I will galdly send you what ever you want to know. My email address is martynsinclair @ hotmail . com++

Mr Sinclair, thanks for the offer, but I really do not wish to know anything about you, your posts are interesting and I thank you for those.

HonestCrew
    Participant

I quite enjoy this thread reappearing now and again. Not out of seeing Walsh bashed but rather to see people’s arguments for and against his business style.

When it was first announced WW would be BA’s new CEO I thought “great.” This company needs a no nonsense, headstrong leader. Someone we can all follow and move BA forward.

The airline industry revolves around people. Respect your people and they will ensure the company grows by giving the best to it’s customers.

Restructure a company, but do it in such a way that your employees still feel valued and part of future plan. Here Walsh lost the respect of a huge number of BA’s employees. I have learned not to think he has a thing just against cabin crew, he is hugely unpopular throughout many departments of hard working folk.

People do harp on about unions causing problems. Remember that the attitude of a union is only brought about by the actions of the company whose employees it represents. Even over the last two weeks BA have broken it’s agreements with it’s crew. I won’t go into details as this is not the place, but it is so sad to see the positive steps forward blown away so shamefully.

Some say “if you don’t like it, get another job!”

I say “no!” I worked hard to get into BA, I love my job and I refuse to let one man and his team force me out of the job I love by devaluing me.

He will not be around forever and BA will head in a bright new direction after him.

There is a big concern amongst employees across the company right now that IAG is on the brink of becoming a ‘house of cards’ and that the slightest change in fortunes of the airline industry could bring the whole thing crashing down.

Naturally we are worried for the future.

Any comments for or against the house of cards concern would be greatly appreciated.
    Would you be concerned if you worked for BA?

…oh, and sorry for adding another “The Truth About BA – Can BA be trusted under WW?” to your Inbox.

Cheers.

*Edited to say I have started a new thread as I believe it may receive more attention. Please add your thoughts*

BAorBUST01
    Participant

I for one would not be SAD to see the stuck up over pompous legacy crew on the dole queue…and of course willie too. as a brit who lives in Spain it would be sad for the spanish economy and Iberia, who have been icreasingly better during my last trips….as for BA every trip I have with them is horrendous, other than my mixed fleet mad lhr in J where the crew were great fun to be around, BA could really learn a lot from other airlines with crew who are able to Smile!! it must be have been easy in the 50’s and 60’s to get a job with BA if you were a surly stuck up middle class brit, shame theyre all now working at BA in 2012!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Respect is a two way street.

For too long, BA’s cabin crew genuinely believed they ran the airline.

Their Union leaders (a different kettle of fish to most of the legacy cabin crew) exhibited contempt for passengers (viz. refusal to enact disruption agreements which allow passengers to get home, and avoid stranding).

That now moribund Union had total contempt for BA’s Management (viz. the appalling personal victimatisation and downright lies perpetuated on this board and others against BA’s management and WW in particular).

The only way to address this was with a robust, and clear, challenge.

That face off has now happened, courageously led by Willie Walsh who had the guts to stand firm against the cowards and bullies who run BASSA.

Now, no one is any doubt that BA is run solely by its own management.

That is good for shareholders, passengers and – ultimately – for all BA’s workforce.

PS HonestCrew “its” is the possessive, not it’s which means “it is” – people make judgements on your professionalism based on how you write, and while everyone makes errors from time to time, this is one that’s easy to get right. If you have a sloppy outlook when writing on this board, it could suggest a sloppy outlook to other things, which I’m sure isn’t the case. Maintaining standards is especially important when not on top form.

As an aside, when hiring people, I reject all CVs with any spelling errors straightaway.

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

Pedantry is rarely constructive (as indicated above and elsewhere), BUT, respect is at the kernel of this issue (which I believe is the capability of BA to provide the international flagship airline service which the UK needs) … but others will differ, inevitably and that is their right.

RESPECT is a vector, it is subjective and personal. MUTUAL RESPECT is a ‘2-way street’. Like buiness confidence, like ‘reputation’ respect is earned, and is much harder to earn once lost than to build or maintain.

What this traveller observes (with TK boarding card to hand, when BMid should have been his quality-driven selection), is that the convenience and reliability of the service offered are being eroded.

By whom … someone please explain.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 252 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls