The stink of duty-free shops in airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

DavidGordon10
    Participant

To me, the stench of perfume in duty-free shops is a problem: not only an aesthetic one, but a medical problem, because it can give me an attack of asthma.

Therefore, I think all airports should provide a clear route from security to gate (or lounge) that avoids the smell.

I am tempted to write this today because my old escape route from the DF shop in T3 at LHR, through the disabled waiting area, has been closed off, so I have had to endure the smell – and, as I sit here wheezing, a wise employee of an airline (I won’t say which) has said – don’t bother complaining to the airport, they won’t take any notice.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Related to this issue is that the forced meandering through the duty free shop is extremely confusing for someone who is registered blind. One day, I will walk into a whole shelf of perfume and send it flying. The bill for that goes to the airport for not providing a clearly accessible route to departures.

theworldtraveller
    Participant

Uk duty free is not duty free anymore anyway – 3% is the apple product discount in T5 and cigarettes are about £35-£40 / 200, when the Middle East charge around £10 …

There are a few good shops (sunglasses hut is one) but cigs and booze and not worth buying in British airports anymore, especially at Heathrow

canucklad
    Participant

Agreed Bath_VIP

The Retailasaur has ruined EDI !!!

What was a pleasantly bright and airy open spaced terminal, with lots of natural light, with big windows over looking the airfield is now a hellish experience of Toblerone infested displays!

I haven’t understood why the management at EDI have employed some local youth’s to hang about. Just to complete the shopping at my local mall feeling.

David
    Slightly tongue in cheek, but next time you go through T3, and you’re forced to traipse through the aromatic chamber of horrors, pull out a small gas mask.
    You might just get your point across.

cityprofessional
    Participant

I have some sympathy for duty free. Every time an airport terminal is reconfigured to force people through duty free, sales go up by c.50%. The added profits then get recycled into the airport’s coffers, which in turn mean that they don’t have to raise their passenger service charge by as much as they would have without duty free

Personally, I can’t stand duty free either, but I am just focused and dart as quickly as possible through it (stopping at skincare for a squirt of the most expensive moisturiser I can find)

There are also some airports/terminals where you can avoid it (e.g. the fast track lane at Gatwick North takes you straight to the premium lounges)

Re: registered blind. Surely the airport and/or airline should provide a guide to take you through the terminal?
    Re: asthmatic. Definitely no stigma in bringing a disposable facemask – many Japanese and Chinese travellers travel with them (and use them openly) anyway – ever since SARS

Bath_VIP
    Participant

City,

In general airlines & airports are very good at offering guides but I very rarely accept the offer as I don’t want to be dependent on someone else. I’d much rather make my own way.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I rather like the pleasant waft of perfume, and it’s nice to browse through the various wares on offer.

Certainly not a hardship!

SimonS1
    Participant

cityprofessional – 04/02/2014 13:42 GMT
    I have some sympathy for duty free. Every time an airport terminal is reconfigured to force people through duty free, sales go up by c.50%. The added profits then get recycled into the airport’s coffers, which in turn mean that they don’t have to raise their passenger service charge by as much as they would have without duty free

LHR duty free sales must be pretty poor then as charges there have tripled in the last 10 years, and they still wanted further increases of RPI + 6% before the regulator stepped in.

Maybe I’m cynical but I suspect the charging policy is to charge as much as they can get away with, and nothing to do with duty free.

Papillion53
    Participant

SM – I do too, as I’m usually trying out something new! And then get on the flight smelling like, well I don’t know, but maybe I’m one of the “stinky offenders” then!

But what I hate is the awful loud music whenever they are “promoting” a new perfume. Last time it was the Estée Lauder new one “Muse” which I kinda like for a day wear, SM, saving the more sensuous ones for, well later in the day 😉 :-)). They had an enormous screen with some video playing and the loudest blaring music – it was impossible to hear anyone say anything and I felt so sorry for the ladies at the nearest till. They must have gone home with their heads just dirling!

But I do agree, some women and men, just don’t know when too much is waaaay too much and yes it can give you a stinker of a headache. It’s just as bad as walking through smoke!

A wee dab is all you need – less is definitely more!

SergeantMajor – 04/02/2014 15:27 GMT

I rather like the pleasant waft of perfume, and it’s nice to browse through the various wares on offer.

Do you like to dress in ladies clothing, as well, my son?

Papillion53
    Participant

I had rather a different take on his “browsing through the wares on offer” …. LOL! 😉

canucklad
    Participant

Similar to cityprofessional I used to nip into the aftershave section on a Friday night after I deplaned in Edinburgh !
    A bit of advice and a splash of expensive aftershave later and it was off to collect my luggage.
    The folks in my local are convinced my bathroom cabinet resembles a perfumery outlet!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Papillion – ah yes, I love the delicacy of just the right amount of perfume on a woman, but that does not stop me hating the pong of the duty free emporium.

When I detect the right amount of perfume on the right woman I get out of breath for reasons other than asthma…

openfly
    Participant

Avoid Malaga…every passenger is now channelled through the duty free outlet. It’s amazing how many stands get knocked over by passenger hand-baggage….including mine!!! Oops.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls