The Schengen effect on business lounges

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

Schengen had an effect on the European airports’ structure, splitting most of them (well those in the eponymous area) into two zones. While the largest airports had often before distinct continental and an intercontinental terminals, not all. And not the smaller airports. So Schengen split the airports and created a sort of segmentation among the travellers.

So airlines had a chance to reduce to the minimum the level of services and maximised the occupancy rate of those lounges located in the Schengen zone on the ground these are dedicated to short haul travellers. Do you agree with this statements?

Senator
    Participant

The one airport I noticed this was MUC. It took Lufthansa quite some time to get the necessary space for SEN and Star Gold in the Schengen level. For a while, I would even go through passport control (if transit was longer) and enjoy the tranquillity of the none-Schengen lounge.

Today, the problem has been solved but it took at least 3 years.

ScottWilson
    Participant

I’ve found the opposite effect at some airports. At BRU, the Schengen area has half decent lounges for SN and SK (for Star Golds), but the non-Schengen has a rather sad SN lounge. At MXP, the lounges are rather tatty in the non-Schengen compared to the Schengen areas.

Airports with limited long haul traffic end up seeing the non-Schengen lounges as the poor relation, or just the lounges to serve UK flights. If BA hasn’t bothered to put in a lounge, then it can be rather dire.

Travellator
    Participant

Was in the Sala Lounge used by BA in BCN last week – it is a no return once through immigration – not sure if that is schengen or not – outstandingly comortable lounge with loads of space, good views, snacks and free wi fi !

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Unless there are 2 lounges of this name, it is in the Schengen zone and agreethat it is an outstanding lounge, wiht great facilities.

lloydah
    Participant

Not sure how it compares as I don’t use a wide variety of destinations but the non Schengen lounge I’ve used in Nice T2 was pretty poor – last time I used it with BA. T1 is better, newer and more space.

RichHI1
    Participant

Tangential but I am confused. When you leave UK or US there are normally no passport checks and domestic and international flihgts depart from same terminals.

The Schengen Area place great store on checking people out. But thwne I have flown out of Schengen countries or used the Eurostar, they do not enter this information so they cannot keep records. Why do they not do the same as many western countries and just have one area. When you arrive if you come from Schengen you arrive as domestic but for departures no difference. Passports are always checked by the airline before allowing you to fly so they are not liable for fines. Just don”t understand it.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Rich

If you arrive/depart from Schengen/Schengen, you are on a domestic flight, so no passport checks in or out by the authorities.

If you arrive/depart Non-Schengen/Schengen, then your passport is checked per Schengen procedures.

This was precisely the way the UK worked, before the government dropped the passport checks on exiting.

RichHI1
    Participant

I know that DoS my question is if it is not recorded what is the benfit of checking on the way out? If every time you came in or out it was logged on a computer then one could argue it helps know if everyone was leaving when they should. But it is not logged so what function does it perform? The airlines already have to do it, so why not just get the airlines to send the data to the government computers? They do this on arrival already.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Rather like in the US I guess, where the airlines check your passport on leaving.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Scott: I guess for smaller airports, it means a split of their resources since they have to run two lounges. And logically they prioritise the mostly used ones.

That said, I find MXP lounges very bad; all of them…

RichHI1
    Participant

LP I find the airlines check your passport whenever you fly international. They do this because the UK, the US or other nations fine them if they fly in a passenger who is not allowed to enter the country (and they have to fly them back free). It also acts as a security precaution to establish who you are.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Rich

I don’t know what the benefit of checking outbound is.

Surmising, it is probably just another barrier in the way of illegals or criminals, but your guess is as good as mine.

RichHI1
    Participant

DoS agreed, mind you only the EU could be interested in stopping illegal immigrants from leaving the country under their own steam. Guess I am just not eu material. I just do not get it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls