The ‘new’ Flybe

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

I am not sure whether or not the ‘new’ Flybe can find a niche for itself.

I wonder what you, the readers, might be thinking ?

Flybe returns with Birmingham airport as new headquarters

TominScotland
    Participant

I guess the question is whether UK demand can sustain 3 regional carriers in Loganair, Eastern and Flybe as well as regional domestic and European routes offered by Easyjet and Ryanair?

4 users thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Judging by comments on another forum, Leeds/Bradford users desperate for flights to LHR, so an opportunity for Flybe Mk2. Also connections to places such as La Rochelle, Nantes.

From its new HQ, may be more difficult to re-establish on domestic routes given success of Loganair, EasyJet and Emerald (next year?). Hamburg, Hannover and Stuttgart come to mind from old network, but Milan may be a step too far for the Dash8. A220 in the future perhaps?

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed. LHR wasn’t mentioned by the new Flybe. In fact no routes were mentioned.

But I would have thought it would reinstate those domestic feeder routes from LHR which the previous Flybe operated.

I mean are many foreign carriers (plus Virgin Atlantic of course) who would rather not have to rely on BA for their connecting domestic passengers.

One downside is the use of Dash-8s at a time when travellers prefer jets.

I mean when Flybe operated its Dash-8s from Aberdeen to LHR the scheduled flight time was two hours.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Seem to keeping cards very close to chest!

Yes, there are so many airlines that could now form worthwhile partnerships with them if confident enough. You’re right about props, but a recent announcement by Embraer is challenging that perception, although they acknowledge the dislike amongst passengers and airport.

As you’re probably aware, the scheduled flight duration contains a “contingency” which allows for many factors that could push the flight time to the maximum quoted.

Will be interesting to see if their bad reputation for technical problems, cancelled flights, etc has been forgiven/forgotten when they open for bookings.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1118122]Will be interesting to see if their bad reputation for technical problems, cancelled flights, etc has been forgiven/forgotten when they open for bookings.[/quote]

Yes good point Poshgirl58.

I didn’t intend to be too negative towards the Dash-8. After all it’s one of the better prop aircraft.

When I used to see them in the London suburbs lining up for LHR approach they looked ridiculous compared to other carriers with B777s, B787s, A380s etc.

Handling those tiny aircraft must have been a challenge for LHR’s ATC as they needed to slot them in between larger aircraft so as to mitigate wake turbulence.

I believe at the time the Dash-8 was the smallest aircraft using LHR.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Alex,

As you know, FlyBe bought out BA Connect and therefore took over all of BA’s former routes at BHX (and, if memory serves, one or two that were operated by Duo after it went bust). This maintained a good route network, which still has many gaps, despite some routes being taken over by Loganair etc.

I agree with other posters that it will be entering a market that is already “busy” – however, I hope it succeeds as we need the route development at BHX.

Safe and healthy travels.

Simon

3 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1118117]One downside is the use of Dash-8s at a time when travellers prefer jets.[/quote]

I actually preferred the “cosier” feel of FlyBe’s Dash 8 service to BA’s larger sanitized rushed service on the LHR- EDI route.
    Plus you had the novelty of being in a prop at Heathrow !!

3 users thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

[quote quote=1118206]I didn’t intend to be too negative towards the Dash-8. After all it’s one of the better prop aircraft.[/quote]

Each to their own Alex! Not a fan or been on one, so perhaps I’m being unfair. Just doesn’t have the smooth lines of ATR but perhaps I’m being girly!

Canucklad, your description of “cosier” was same as used by a former colleague (6ft4, 16 stone) who found legroom fine but seats a bit narrow. He did BHX-DUS on one.

On the subject of props at LHR, in the early days of his flying career, a friend used to operate live organ flights mostly on Cessnas. He’s described the welcome at LHR as “red-carpet, nothing too much trouble”. Going back over 25 years, so probably wouldn’t get the same welcome now. Hospitals getting their own helipads and the advent of motorcycle couriers probably overtook the need for small props using LHR.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Perhaps I was being too harsh on the Dash-8, canucklad.

After seeing the heavy traffic lining up for LHR there would be silence (to avoid wake turbulence) and then this tiny aircraft would appear … to me it looked like something from a comic.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Bergerac would be an ideal route, which Flybe operated year round from Southampton. In season, Flybe also flew to Bergerac from Exeter, BHX, Glasgow, Manchester and EDI.

FlyNScare (FR) operate to Bergerac year round from STN, serving the still popular Dordogne where many Brits have second homes. BA operated the route in summer from LCY pre covid.

transtraxman
    Participant

[postquote quote=1118124]

Fitting in small propeller aircraft among the big jets on approach to an airport is a headache. The wake of the big jets can throw them around the sky like kites. It makes for greater spaces between the aircraft thus reducing landing capacity of the airport. With capacity restraints the small props are the first to lose out. Thus the smaller airports and their passengers lose out. That means the so called national hub is not so national.
    All this makes for an extremely strong argument in favour of a third runway at Heathrow, as well as others, such as safety for all passengers.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

I have read a lot about the unsuitability of Heathrow for props and I would have to agree. Longer approach spacing of aircraft reduces the airports efficiency. I would prefer if smaller prop airlines focus on London City to generate their London traffic and let Heathrow manage the need to get our ‘Global Britain’ message out into new emerging business centers around the world. After all do we really need more flights to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen from Heathrow?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

If my memory serves me correctly, didn’t Flybe Mk1 flirt with the idea of using Northolt for LHR feeder flights?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed. In 2015 Flybe proposed use of RAF Northolt. Sunday Times reported Flybe would operate twice daily flights to five cities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls