The “new” BA Club service….ridiculous!

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Sitting in my Club seat at LHR waiting to depart, the CSM comes on the PA and “instructs” all Club passengers to fill out their breakfast order form before we depart and hand it to the crew! We hadn’t even pushed back. Why? I may not want breakfast in 12 hours time, I may not be alive in 12 hours time, why do I have to tell whether I want tea or coffee in 12 hours time, on a piece of paper? Obviously the job-experience kid has been at it again! Oh BA….stop and think.

As we taxied out, I had my menu on the top of my side-wall locker on the 74 upper deck…a horrendous crime of course. Told abruptly of my error. But what they fail to notice was that an emergency exit seat is occupied by an elderly disabled person. It’s called priorities Mr Cruz!

DavidArnold
    Participant

I have flown the New Club World service 12 or so times in the last 4 months and have never had an issue filling out the form nor had rude staff so you may have been a tad unlucky on that flight. However a lot of airlines flown recently that include breakfast form fill out also necessitates a quick hand back as the flights normally depart late and most passengers appreciate the time to relax and sleep.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=888025]Sitting in my Club seat at LHR waiting to depart, the CSM comes on the PA and “instructs” all Club passengers to fill out their breakfast order form before we depart and hand it to the crew! We hadn’t even pushed back. Why? I may not want breakfast in 12 hours time, I may not be alive in 12 hours time, why do I have to tell whether I want tea or coffee in 12 hours time, on a piece of paper? Obviously the job-experience kid has been at it again! Oh BA….stop and think.

As we taxied out, I had my menu on the top of my side-wall locker on the 74 upper deck…a horrendous crime of course. Told abruptly of my error. But what they fail to notice was that an emergency exit seat is occupied by an elderly disabled person. It’s called priorities Mr Cruz![/quote]

Hi Openfly….this is a system many airlines use. Qantas for example will give you a breakfast card to fill out at the beginning of the PER-LHR non-stop flight for seventeen hours time!

The PA is scripted and goes something along the lines that it is a sleeper service, would be appreciated if you can fill out the breakfast order card, there is a pen in the washbag, please return completed card to crew before take off or leave in an area visible to the crew to collect.

It is a bit of a marmite situation. Most like the idea, some detest it. From my experience it works REALLY well on the short east coast – LHR overnight flights. Most of these are sub six hours and the idea is to keep the lights off from take off through to the ’40 minute to landing’ call serving those that want breakfast an hour and fifteen minutes before landing with the lights still dimmed. Those that want to sleep appreciate not being disturbed by the lights switched on etc. On the longer flights there has been more debate as to whether the system works but on the whole most passengers have viewed it positively.

If you don’t fill out the card, don’t know whether you want breakfast or change your mind it is no big deal. If you don’t fill it out and then are awake before landing and want something press your call bell.

6 users thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

Thanks rferguson for the explanation. It just seems so unnecessary and a waste of time. It’s also a waste of my time when I order my main course in advance….and the crew don’t know about the order!!

FrDougal
    Participant

I think it’s great. Benefits me. Only “ridiculous” in your mind I’m afraid!

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

I like when the crew come around and take orders before we even push back/taxi. It only not shows them being pro-active, but it’s one less thing on my mind. Plus, I like knowing I can secure the meal I really want.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Talking about pre push back, wish the CSD would make his/her introductory welcome announcement before take off (time of course permitting)… always fall asleep then GOOD AFTERNOON LADIES AND GENTLEMAN… as soon as wheels are up.

I think so much more could be done on the ground to make the flight more peaceful.

In fact why not do all the food ordering on line before we get to the airport… 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls