The most expensive item in Heathrow’s duty-free

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• DannyBoy
    Participant

An interesting story popped up on my phone’s story feed this evening which I thought of a share with you all.

In short, it is a bottle of Bowmore scotch whisky. Part of the 50-Year-Old Vaults Series is one of the world’s rarest whiskies and is priced at a whopping £36,350.

The journalist quite rightly points out “who is making an impulse buy of this proportion? Perhaps someone who is very tired from traveling, who has a long layover, who isn’t thinking straight and reads the label as £36.

Or perhaps someone who really likes whisky. So much so they’re willing to spend more on a bottle than it costs for a whole holiday (or ten).”

Now I know LHR is classed as a very poor airport but when reviewing some of the stores you would think are walking through Harrods, Knightsbridge.

Bottega Veneta
    Burberry
    Bulgari
    Chanel
    Louis Vutton
    Prada
    Rolex

I remember Jeremy Clarkson going through Standsted a few years ago and filming a rant about everything wrong with airports and this article has just highlighted it.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/i-looked-most-expensive-item-24503130

1 user thanked author for this post.

AdamMarley
    Participant

Well that’s the first I’ve heard about Heathrow being a poor airport. Most opinions I’ve heard on the topic are about Heathrow being a shopping centre with a runway attached

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[quote quote=1228063]Heathrow being a shopping centre with a runway attached[/quote]

I think that’s exactly why it’s poor. Way too many ‘pointless’ shops which have minimal footfall. The airport would be half the size (and the gates and lounges would be considerably nearer) if you could get rid of 75% oft the shops and 50% of the food outlets…..I wish!

All that 95% of travellers want are a Duty Free, WHSmiths, a Boots, a pub, a coffee shop and a couple of restaurants.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1228067]

Sadly, the business model of LHR (and most large airports around the world) relies heavily on the rental income generated by their concessions programmes. Get rid of the shops and restaurants, and that money will have to be found somewhere else, be it car parking, passenger “levies” etc.

The Rolex shop in T4 was once cited as the second busiest Rolex store in the UK based on the number of pieces sold.

Wildrover
    Participant

The days of Heathrow being a shopping centre attached to a runway are limited. There is no longer any tax free shopping at Heathrow, with Johnson’s Govt, post BREXIT, eliminating tax free sales. the Rolex staff have said their business has dried up to absolutely zero, even if they could get stock, nobody is buying it!!

cwoodward
    Participant

I am reading from reliable sources that the Spanish owners are looking to off-load the airport asap. Several interested parties.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1228575]

Think they own 25%.

Opportunity for Qatar to increase its stake perhaps?

FormerBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1228421]

The same for Watches of Switzerland who if you show the least interest will start at around 8% discount of the ticket price.

I have mixed feelings about this.

In many ways I have always felt that duty free sales were mad. Those spending £20k on a watch or £5k on bag can well afford the VAT. The EU should have dealt with this years ago.

On the other hand, I am in the market for a retirement timepiece and the EU are now offering us Brits tax free shopping. Its the only Brexit benefit I know of personally, and I give it up in a heart beat for a return to freedom of movement>

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls