The latest Egyptair Airbus A320 disaster?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• openfly
    Participant

It is several months since this aircraft crashed into the Med off Greece. The Cockpit Voice Recorder and the Flight Recorder were both located and retrieved many weeks ago.
    It is strange that the initial findings have not been published, other than there was a fire in the area of the side wall beside the F/Os seat.
    With such silence abounding, are we to suspect that the findings could be catastrophic for Airbus, or that Egyptair will be embarrassed? Maybe it is both.
    I do hope that we are not witnessing the early stages of a cover-up.
    Maybe the UK CAA could shed some light on what happened.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Given that this was a flight from CDG-CAI does the CAA have any remit?

openfly
    Participant

JohnHarper…as there are so many Airbus aircraft of this type on the UK register, I am sure that the CAA must be involved. At least, I hope so!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I too was wondering about this in light of yesterdays anniversary and watching the film United 93 on SKY.
    I believe Rolls Royce and GE both supply engines to them so I can see a reason for both CAA and FAA involvement.
    I’d like to think they’ll be completely open about what happened but I do have a niggling doubt in the back of my mind?

canucklad
    Participant

The BEA don’t have a great track record with being fully transparent, especially when Airbus/ATR aircraft are involved.
    As for the Egyptian authorities , remembering Egyptair flight 990 should create a level of mistrust

I know the 2 incidents aren’t comparable but isn’t it interesting that the Dubai authorities have already released a comprehensive interinm report on the EK crash !’

openfly
    Participant

I have asked my MP to start delving around. We have the headquarters of the UK CAA in our constituency, so maybe he has contacts to find out what is going on.
    The other angle maybe to contact BALPA and check whether they are keeping an eye on the situation. I will phone them this morning.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

“Flight MS804 was bound from Paris’s Charles de Gaulle airport to Cairo, but plunged into the sea between Crete and the northern coast of Egypt after disappearing from radars on May 19, 2016.”

ALERT Leaked French report says the crash of EgyptAir #MS804 was likely caused by the cigarette of a smoking pilot

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hindsight and previous posts are always wonderful – written in 2014 after my one and only set of flights on Eqyptair…

“Egypt Air is another airline where a tobacco smell has come from the direction of the flight deck…”

2 Dec 2014
    at 14:28

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I am not at all surprised as it has been reported in industry forums for some time that some of their pilots are not properly qualified and often forged log books.

Of course as is well documented have many pilots operating for airlines based in India and Pakistan have routinely and for years used forged documents.
    It seems that India has taken steps to clean this up in the past couple of years with many pilots being dismissed but certainly there are pilots particularly in North Africa and the Sub Continent still operating with forged qualification documents.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls