The great British Airways

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

VIP1815
    Participant

I fly every month between Paris, France, my country of residence, and Hong Kong for business purpose.

I am BA Gold Executive member, Air France Platinum and Thai Airways Gold member. It just means that I travel a lot.

Except few real first class deals you can catch from Thai Airways, there is a deep difference between direct flight provided by Air France and Cathay Pacific, and British Airways, via LHR T5, regarding business class fares.

By the way, in my opinion, a BA business class seat remains more comfortable than Air France’s one [lie flat]. With Thai, I can hardly compare as I never travel in Business class.

This is mainly the reasons why, since more than 3 years, I fly more exclusively with BA.

And I need to underline the high quality of service I was offered on 2 R/T BA flights in February and March 2011, so much that I was happily surprised.

On February 4th, flight BA025 LHR/HKG, departing at 6.40pm, the service on business class [top of the 747-400] was great. Crew welcomed passengers warmly. Dinner service was at the level of what business class passengers must have. Crew was smiling; paying attention to details you always need but never have on time or simply never have at all.

On February 16th, flight BA026 HKG/LHR, departing at 11.25pm I was upgraded from business to First class. It was the old First class seats. But never mind! The 3 ladies managing first class passengers were absolutely at a high level of service, providing smile, great availability… I really felt gold executive member with a true recognition.

Was it enough? Fortunately for me, it wasn’t. On March 4th, flight BA025 LHR/HKG, I was upgraded once again! Still from business to First class, but the newest one! Some beautiful full flat bed [seats],ensuring a comfortable sleep. That’s what happened to me. AndoOf course, I felt really happy… Much happy and proud to fly British Airways when, once again, I was handled by 3 crew members [yes, 3 ladies again], providing accurate first class service!.

On March 14th, flight BA026 HKG/LHR, no upgrade on first class, but still great business class crew members [a steward and an hostess] , on top of the 747-400.

Thank you to British Airways. In only 2 long haul flights, I have seen what this airline can provide through its team, both in Business and First class. Nothing was «too much». It was just some very professional members of team. Just people who boarded flight full of smile and that were ready to pay attention to passengers during more than 12 hours of flight.

I don’t know if services are equal on all BA flights, but I hope this airline will run this quality of service on a long term policy bases. In any case, BA proved that it can deliver it.

Thierry EDWIGES
    Paris

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

Indeed you are very lucky. After more than 40 sectors in 3 years this has never happened to me. Not that I mind, I use miles for the F experience and agree it is great. Though in my view CX or JAL are far better in seat/bed, crew and service food and wines.
    At least Oeworld is together in product offerings. Sky Team should have a look at the wide variety of product offering. If you take a KLM flight it is misserable if you compare to AF.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Having flown two round trip BA First to the US in 2 months, I can say that the staff have been friendly & competent, food service of a perceived higher quality than previous flights & the new seat is certainly an improvement.

However on flights to Asia, Cathay Pacific First Class is a league above BA. More comfortable seat, vastly better food service and staff a notch or two above BA.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Never had a bad flight in Club World.

All airlines deliver variable service to some degree and my experience has been from competent to very good.

That works for me.

goalie11
    Participant

Hi

I agree with some of the comments that standards vary greatly, even within airlines that are given accolades for service etc. However, I don’t agree that BA offers a quality product in business class compared to others at the’ higher end’ of the market.

I’ve just taken 3 BA Club World journeys – Abu Dhabi to London, Calgary to London and yesterday London back to Abu Dhabi.

The product on the Calgary trip was on an ageing 767 with the fanned seperator between the seats. hand baggage space was limited and food awful.

On the LHR-AUH sector yesterday the flight left LHR at 09.30 and by 10.10 I was being asked if I would like to place my order for lunch, I asked when it was being served and was told in 20 minutes. Not fancying lunch soon soon after breakfast I asked if it could be served later, just like real customer service airlines like Etihad who do eat at your leisure, but was firmly told that it wasn’t possible. I passed. I also passed later when the ridiculously poor sandwich selection, wrapped in cellophane, was offered. I’m surprised the crew don’t cringe when they put this down to you.

And finally, BA must have one of the worst IFEs in the air today. They are falling so far behind competitors they will have to invest quickly because I for one will avoid them like the plague. No VOD in this day and age – miss the start of a film and you have to wait a couple of hours for it to replay.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls