The future of Qantas

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 202 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

canucklad – 17/04/2014 08:43 GMT : I don’t fly to NY on business but if I did QF’s 380 service would surely trump anything that’s out there at the moment. So my Thursday poser…. Would anyone choose a QF 380 to NY rather than your current preferred choice?

Maybe once to try out the A380, but the new AA J TATL experience is excellent so I think I would probably stick with that. My review, in case you missed it: http://seatplans.businesstraveller.com/airlines/American-Airlines/user-reviews#comment_id_8552

JohnHarper
    Participant

I don’t travel much across the north Atlantic but if QF were operating the A380 to New York from London I might be tempted by F. The best C product is undoubtedly the AA 773 and of course AA would win on frequency too.

OT but Mrs JH and I are looking at a RTW trip at the moment going east. We are happy with the routing all the way to Vancouver and are then wondering about the best way back to LHR. We are tempted to continue with CX to JFK after our stay in YVR and then on to LHR with AA. We will be travelling in F and are open to other suggestions though the direct routing from YVR is not something we would consider.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning John, take it you’re sticking to OW carriers ?

JohnHarper
    Participant

canucklad – 18/04/2014 10:40 GMT

At the moment it’s nearly all OW carriers, CX are the dominant one with QF second and a couple of sectors on MH. We have also a couple of sectors on SQ.

We had thought of continuing on OW but are open to other suggestions about how to get home from YVR.

canucklad
    Participant

Personally I like your CX onto NY option, but then I’ve not been to the big apple for ages.

ALTERNATIVELY
    Drive down to Seattle and fly back from SeaTac , apparently Delta a starting a new service to LHR.
    Even better, drive over the Rockies to Calgary and fly home from there, just mind the bears on the way.

If you’re really just wanting to get home I can highly recommend AC’s Exec class over BA’s Club.

I suppose it all depends on what you’ve already seen and done in North America., and what you want to still see and do in N.A..

CXDiamond
    Participant

John, if you want to stick to OW then CX to JFK and AA to LHR is by far the best option. Otherwise as canucklad says AC business class is generally very good and better than any direct alternative.

Are you travelling across Canada at all? If so, I can recommend the train.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Qantas shrinks further with the downgrading of capacity on the BRI-SIN route. The 747′ fleet will be retired very soon, and many 767’s. Their international network shrinks more each month, very sad, but to the obvious gain of Emirates, and Etihad.

I note the A380’s of SQ are also being removed from Sydney and Melbourne, another reflection perhaps of how The Far East has lost Europe to Australasia travellers!

TominScotland
    Participant

Not quite, MarcusUK – SQ is retaining one A380 per day on the Sydney route

Singapore – Sydney eff 30MAY14 A380 operation reduced from 2 to 1 daily
    SQ231 SIN0045 – 1025SYD 77W D
    SQ241 SIN0705 – 1645SYD 772 D
    SQ211 SIN0925 – 1905SYD 773 D
    SQ221 SIN2015 – 0555+1SYD 388 D

SQ212 SYD0640 – 1300SIN 773 D
    SQ232 SYD1115 – 1740SIN 388 D
    SQ222 SYD1515 – 2140SIN 77W D
    SQ242 SYD1800 – 0020+1SIN 772 D

It is also possible that these changes (and those to MEL) are seasonal rather than permanent – see http://airlineroute.net/2014/04/21/sq-sydmel-s14/

TominScotland
    Participant

While AC might be an excellent option (I have not flown them for many years), be warned that a recent survey puts their flight attendants as the second rudest in North America…… http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1571603-ac-2-rudest-fas-north-america.html

Make of that what you will!!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

JH, why are you mixing OW and non-OW? Wouldn’t it be more cost-effective to use a OW RTW ticket?

I have used these many times and they really can represent excellent value, and an opportunity to add some more side-trips at minimal expense – the ticket can accommodate up to 16 flight segments in total, with up to four segments within each continent (six in North America), and with two stopovers within your continent of origin

http://www.oneworld.com/flights/round-the-world-fares

http://www.oneworld.com/flights/round-the-world-fares/oneworld-explorer/

MarcusUK
    Participant

Hi Tom.
    I said they are being removed, knowing but that one would remain on the SYD route, and even bearing in mind the seasonal traffic it is not a good move.
    I also note, that the old style 772 with the Raffles seats is still around! The 773 only operates a Regional seat, with angled business seats also.
    I have flow both on this route and they are older and not pleasant aircraft or cabins, and poor value for money.

These mixed fleet standards are very annoying, with the variable seating. i would prefer to book an Airline with consistent seating.
    We all know Thai do this all the time, and changing planes and seat standards around.

But again, this shows an impact on Qantas, and now also the Far East carriers. The Gulf carriers are making no such adjustments, in fact Etihad is adding flights to its schedules into Australia, and they all carry very high load factors with Business always full, First half full, and Economy also 90% full. I have seen this with recent flights on this route with my own travels to Australia.

Qantas only seems to be shrinking, with no cash injections imminent, and in debt, and running at a loss.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Thanks Ian, Mrs JH had spotted the OW RTW fare which is probably what we will book but we want to do a couple of sectors in Asia which exceed the limits imposed by the structure of it which is where SIA come in. Ironically we certainly don’t want six sectors in North America but we would like more than four in Asia. It’s a pity the fare rules do not allow more flexibility.

We used the *A fare about four years ago and travelled a lot through the south Pacific with it without any limitations about areas though there was a cap on the total number of sectors.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Sounds like quite a trip, JH! I hope you will have time to do a couple of trip reports (hint, hint!)

JohnHarper
    Participant

Well if you are patient there might be some trip reports but this is planned for mid-January to mid-March 2015 so don’t hold your breath!

CXDiamond
    Participant

John, what did you decide about your trans-Atlantic sector?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 202 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls