The beginning of the end for inflight duty free sales?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• Henryp1
    Participant

I quite like browsing the magazine and often pick something for an unexpected gift or for myself. Whilst the choices may not be enormous, it is easier than browsing around the airport shops which are often crowded. If wishing to purchase a specific item, it’s generally possible to view the items on line before travel and pre order.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

The juxtaposition of the concepts of ‘shopping area’ and ‘enjoy’ does not compute for me. Even more so now that, in most situations, you are obliged to walk through the shopping area before you can get to the departure area.

The only money I ever spend at the airport are my copy of the latest Private Eye, any requests from Mrs S for Boots stuff and chocs for the office, if I have not been able to grab them somewhere cheaper.

MarkivJ
    Participant

I don’t do inflight duty free shopping, but airport duty free is cheaper than High street or online for some brands and regions.

For instance, France produced perfumes are a STEAL at CDG compared to a Black Friday Amazon.com sale (same product). Same goes with a few UK labels (the Ted Baker in T5 has a good choice at good prices). Jo malone London 100ml is £72 at LHR compared to £90 High Street and $140 at most USA shops.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=922982]I don’t do inflight duty free shopping, but airport duty free is cheaper than High street or online for some brands and regions.

For instance, France produced perfumes are a STEAL at CDG compared to a Black Friday Amazon.com sale (same product). Same goes with a few UK labels (the Ted Baker in T5 has a good choice at good prices). Jo malone London 100ml is £72 at LHR compared to £90 High Street and $140 at most USA shops.[/quote]

Against all odds, Cuban cigars at CDG2 are the cheapest I found in Europe so far…

MarcusGB
    Participant

I must admit, going through Schiphol several times a month as my main Airline is KLM, I always buy Genever (Jenever)!
    It is Unique to Holland, and everyone (from the UK to Australia) who has tasted it as a result of my supplies, loves it.
    From Euros 11+ a litre bottle at Schiphol, it is very inexpensive and a large alcohol content 30% +.
    Though told i would not be able to take it with me, i last year bought a bottle to take through to Sydney LHR-AMS (Genever bought then)-KUL-CGK-SYD. KLM and Garuda mix.
    Quite an achievement, sealed and labelled and i asked for this clearly, though told it would be taken from me, at no stage was it. It was treated as bought in flight, and clearly sealed and labelled.
    Though i think there does exist a 24hr max time to reach your final destination…?

I have not seen it sold on KLM in flight sales, which would i thought been popular, especially in their Ceramic or decorates bottles, which are beautiful in design.
    However, their Flying Dutchman cocktail made from similar and with berry sweet juice, is VERY popular as their signature cocktail Drink. This can be pre-ordered on board,but it is already mixed, so does not last very long. Certainly popular as their drink for Pre-Meal services, and they often run out, or have none left for the return trips!
    Two glasses will enable sleep very easily as it is quite potent for a long haul overnight flight!

No one knows what it is similar too, it is not Gin, strength of a Vodka, yet some flavour of a Pernod, but the Juniper mix sits well, and warms well in the Winter.
    I think KLM should give everyone a teaspooon before they have to take the bus and board in the Winter ice or rain at Schiphol!
    Their flight reviews would soar!

2 users thanked author for this post.

MarkivJ
    Participant

I should try this Genever!!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls