The 00s decade – not all bad?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Greetings fellow forum readers. Given how much of our travelling experience is pretty depressing these days (a trend fully reflected in the posts to the various BT forums, most of which catalogue things that have gone wrong) I would like to start a new thread on what went right in the last 10 years.

I flew some 2 million km on scheduled airlines in the 00s, and the general flying experience at the end of it – while far from perfect – was in many ways much better than flying in 1999. So let us briefly forget broken seats and obnoxious fellow passengers (which incidentally were always with us and always will be), and remember, in no particular order:

online check-in

flat beds in business class

video-on-demand

airline alliances and smoother connections

vastly better airports in much of Central and Eastern Europe

better flight information

hugely improved airline lounges

I invite others to add their own favourite innovations!

RoadKing
    Participant

Mobile phone check in

Finger print id

Subtitled movies (English subtitles on English language movies!)

E tickets

Pre travelling registration of forms on the internet

PaulJennings
    Participant

Ryanair.

Seriously.

I avoid travelling with them but I probably travel more cheaply because of them. If it wasn’t for O’Leary and his mates then fares on BA, LH and so on would probably be higher than they are.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Great idea Cedric!

*New Aircraft – Airbus & Boeing a-like for quieter, smoother due to improved technology on board flights.

*Premium Economy – now pushing forwards as a major focus of many Airlines. Some exciting efforts been, & are being made for P E!

*Fare levels – span the globe in all classes that were £ for £, much less attainable Eg -During these last 10 years.(Y returns UK to OZ were £1,200 in 1992, now they run from £500!
    Means the globe is more reachable for more people, Air travel for everyone, with one model or another.

* Such n explosion of variations in cabin design, seat design, rather than the 90’s 2/3 seater big chairs! The Staggered seats in various forms, enabling greater privacy, space, quiet. A real breakthrough time of ideas.

*FF programs, so expanded- not just for Flights, cars & hotels. A broader way of attaining loyalty through a wider span of services, but miles earning, for a travel treat!

* The Low Cost Airlines have enabled travel for the average person, in some significant continents. EG India, Asia, Australia, & course throughout the EU.
    STN is a blaze of very happy people nurturing their long distance relationships, & friendships spanning across Europe these days. These are made possible by low cost models bringing them together at a reasonable cost.
    Take a look at the inter-European partners arriving at STN at weekends, & many friends being brought together, that would not have been before. It has made us truly cross cultural people.

*Short breaks to Europe are now possible as a regular financially viable travel for many. A short break to Europe is an expectation every few months for many…

Iris technology for quicker border control entry/exit- Schipol’s Privium being best.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls