Thai Airways puts in the effort….

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

After my recent posts about Thai tantrums, I am pleased to report on my return flight BKK – LHR on January 27th. My dear Brian in LA (the only non-Thai office working it seems) processed my upgrade with very little effort. I checked in with plenty of time 3 hours partly by mistake but anyway. I went to the main check-in to find business (Royal First and Silk check-in section being closed) I was directed straight away to the other side of this check-in where I found little stools and a dedicated Business check-in area. I waited only 5 minutes before taking my seat my case was loaded for me on the belt and I check in with ease, being offered a much better seat in the forward cabin. I passed easily through passport and security and not having had much luck with Thai’s lounges in the past went to the Miracle for my first stop. Very nice lounge wine, sparkling even, food offerings, etc. Walking through the airport was like a building site, cracked tiles on the floors most shops closed, King Power Boarded up area’s, I thought I was in the third world. No branded cigarettes for sale only Chinese! (not for me I add). I then had more time to kill so headed for the main Thai Lounge (Not sure if this used to be Royal First?) a vast lounge a fully stocked/manned bar, acres of seating space, in lots of different areas, good hot and cold food selection too. So nice to see the Swiss First Class passengers being collected for their cart to the plane!

I went to the gate and boarding had just started business through one bridge. Nice welcome, my jacket was taken and a nice comment on my tie (I am the one you see in airports in a tie). The flight was maybe only half full in all classes. Welcome water and soft drink offered. It seemed the business cabin was going to be run by two senior members of crew, I was asked about meals, without any menus this seemed to get a little complicated as sadly lack of English was a big problem. I went for the steak and we left breakfast as to obscure to make a choice then. Taxi and takeoff went very smoothly at this time of night 00.20 am. I was then asked what drink I would like from the bar and it was delivered to my seat, I took the champagne, Piper and was also given some almonds (not seen on outbound). I was then informed by the purser that my choice of beef was not available, I questioned this as I was 17a and the place was half full. I then had to have chicken curry not ideal at this time of night. The meal arrived very quickly, not off a trolley, sadly still covered in plastic and foil! I had a nice white wine, the starter was something fishy on noodles, not nice and the curry was ok, cheese bland, baby bell? I don’t remember there being the lovely pudding this time but maybe I gave up. I asked for a port with my baby bell, although they bought me a glass of water instead, then a tiny glass, lots of back and forth, they had no idea of what port was I think.

The Purser did bring me a serving of nuts before lights out saying sorry for the meal, etc. I then had a good 7 hours sleep wearing my headphones helped. When I woke a steward asked me what I would like. I said orange juice. Oh could I have a vodka in that, he said yes of course Sir (they had said the same as outward no alcohol except with meals) I even got a top up. The film choice is really so out of date so ended up with a Bond to fill the time to breakfast. We revistied what was on offer and now there seemed to be scrabled eggs and sausages, which I tucked into, I also got another crostaint sadly cold, and a glass of champagne or two. I know that the flight was not full as on my outward trip but the whole crew were so kind, helpful, where possible. As we approached LHR both male and female Pursers came to each one of us to thank us for choosing Thia, I was touched. I was dreading this flight home but the whole team made it a pleasure.

I know I paid over the odds for this due to changes in Covid but I was pleased to have such a good flight in return. I so look forward to First Class returning with menus in all classes and the whole operation including the new terminal at BKK coming into operation. Thailand has suffered so hard in the last two year and it deserves to get back on it feet with our help.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@norbert2008

did you take a PCR test prior to leaving BKK?

In December I did, but cant understand why there was a need, unless it is a requirement to be tested to go through the empty airport. At the time, all that was needed to enter the UK was a day 2 PCR test and the locator form. It appeared to be an automatic request at check in for a PCR test and I wasn’t going to be given a boarding card unless I showed the test result.

norbert2008
    Participant

Well, Martyn. No, but I had to book and pay for a home PCR test and a UK Border locator from a UK company, Thai Airways wanted to see the form but in the UK walked through auto passports! The home test QR code would not work! And no reply from the company when I emailed them! I landed on 27th Jan at 06.30 am.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls