Thai Airways expansion ahead ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Today’s Flightglobal.com reports that Thai Airways has arranged a deal with Boeing to buy 45 medium- and long-haul aircraft.

These are expected to comprise B787s and, according to Reuters who broke the news earlier this month, as many more could join the fleet in future.

Flightglobal.com (some readers may encounter a paywall) reports that the deal will be announced at the Singapore Airshow which runs from February 20.

This first batch of aircraft will be delivered between 2027 and 2033.

What does it mean for the passenger ?

I would hope that these new aircraft will enable Thai to expand and serve some secondary destinations.

For example, it’s long been speculated that Thai would launch a Manchester service but so far nothing happened.

Why Manchester ?

Because Thailand and SE Asia are popular destinations for Mancunians and travellers based in the North of England. I mean just look at how the Gulfies currently capitalise on this market.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/thai-airways-to-order-at-least-45-boeing-jets/156918.article?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=Sendible&utm_campaign=RSS

reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/thai-airways-orders-45-boeing-787s-plus-options-sources-2024-02-08/#:~:text=Feb%208%20(Reuters)%20-%20Thai,travel%20demand%2C%20industry%20sources%20said.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

I certainly agree that if competitively priced a direct Manchester/Thailand flight would be an obvious attraction for us northernersand I imagine easy to fill. I have to say that there are an awful lot of Thai Airways planes parked up at Suvarnabhumi Airport which is a shame as they could be earning revenue.

Rather disappointingly Thai has reintegrated Thai Smile and one of its first actions has been to cancel the Bangkok Narathiwat flight because of shortage of equipment which is a great shame as now I will be forced to fly on Air Asia or take the train

sparkyflier
    Participant

I think all those TG aircraft around the BKK apron are in bad condition – no idea how they will get rid of these and think they are not air worthy any more.

Re the order – seems a huge one. Personally I wished they went for more A350 and A330neo. But I can see then starting Manchester to BKK and Phuket and also flights from LGW along with the many Asian airlines that now have regular slots there. BA may not have the staff/aircraft/gumption/ambition etc but suspect TG could make it work.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed. Thai Airways has a history of operating numerous aircraft types … some of which were more logical than others.

Yes this order is huge … possibly as many as 80 aircraft according to Reuters.

As I noted above details will be announced at the Singapore Airshow next week.

Mancunians will be hoping Thai finally does launch its Bangkok route. It’s been talked about for many years already !

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

In recent years (ie last 20) Thai Airways hasn’t had the best reputation when it comes to ordering aircraft. This does seem like quite a big order.

I wonder if they looked at the A321XLR at all.

cwoodward
    Participant

The airline is still in chapter eleven, It fleet s no old. They still have young aircraft parked.
    The is no major announcement of any major expansion. They have seldom if ever been well run

Why did they order the aircraft ?
    My conclusion is that it must have been a desperation deal by Boeing – too good to refuse.

justloveflying
    Participant

Thai Airways UK Manager, in 2020, told me an interesting story of how TG Management had been to visit MAN’s new T2 pier in September 2019.

A three times weekly MANBKK was planned for May 2020 but it was all hush hush.

Then along came Madame Corona (not the 90s Eurodance Queen ) and well..bye bye MAN-BKK on a 787 or A350 !

Virgin,Aer Lingus and TUI have been very lazy to fly this lucrative route. Even jet2 with their poorly used A330s could operate a few times a week.

Manchester appeared as a proposed destination for Thai as per SeanM1997

anna.aero no longer exists but flyertalk did feature the MANBKK route before

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1969507-manchester-route-possibility-2.html

cwoodward
    Participant

Thanks for that interesting information.

However Thai still have 2 X A350s parked plus 2 more arriving
    Plus 3 X 777s and one 787 still long term parked

Total 8 aircraft youngish or new aircraft with 6 of them already parked as presumably not needed

Possibly enough for most of the above suggested routes.

Why the huge 787 order from a cash strapped historically poorly run airline ? Will they ever take them ?

Perhaps I am missing something but it seems most odd to me

6 users thanked author for this post.

DerekVH
    Participant

“Virgin,Aer Lingus and TUI have been very lazy to fly this lucrative route”.

BA should be added to this list!

I have been to BKK several times over the past couple of months and it so depressing to see all of the parked up aircraft including their A380’s and 747’s, the latter appear as if they are now being stripped for parts.

Because the new Satellite terminal is now operational, the A380’s have been moved again and all sitting in a single row gathering dust.

2 users thanked author for this post.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

I would never myself chose to fly on TUI to Bangkok thank you

I agree with DerekVH it is depressing to see these wonderful aircraft parked up and rotting and although the 747s may be near the end of their useful life the A380s should have had plenty of time left.

2 users thanked author for this post.

justloveflying
    Participant

I mention TUI as they do or have done Manchester-Phuket flights.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Manchester, as its management never fail to tell us, has a wide catchment area.

It starts in the West Midlands and extends to Scotland. The airport is linked bu direct rail services and, yes, I realise that TPE has its issues but today’s Railgazette.com “confirms plans [by TransPennineExpress] to ‘build back’ its timetable.”

So there is a large market for services out of Manchester to SE Asia and beyond otherwise the Gulfies and the likes of Cathay Pacific and SIA would not be there.

I am not aware of Emirates expansion plans at Manchester but it manages to fill x3 daily A380s.

Let’s hope Thai sees some sense !

MarkivJ
    Participant

“Virgin,Aer Lingus and TUI have been very lazy to fly this lucrative route.” – I am not sure how a primarily leisure destination can be a lucrative route for any airline.

Back to the main subject – the only way TG can be a success if they become a successful hub&spoke airline and complement their Star Alliance counterpart SQ, and perhaps point to point to a few destinations where they can attract a premium crowd willing to pay premium prices for a resort destination.

Honestly, the Bangkok airport (Phuket too) is so full of MEB3 rotations offering lucrative prices across all classes to European pax that Thai is already facing an uphill battle.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

Markiv you would be surprised at the loadings on flights to Bangkok in business class from European destinations or connecting through the middle east. These days many in the premium cabin are leisure travelers like myself who can afford to travel in more comfort

MarkivJ
    Participant

Alistair: I didn’t doubt that there would be premium traffic to Thailand.

What I meant to say/ask was: a Wall St exec who has to fly fly LHR-JFK is probably ok to pay a bit or a lot more for a non stop if it means convenience and time save.

With leisure routes, if the MEB3 was offering me a j class ticket for a lot lesser than a nonstop VS or BA, I may go with the MEB3 1 stop hop instead. And I know they’re constantly wooing the EU/UK pax wirh amazing deals to holiday destinations all the time. In all classes.

I’m sure every route has those willing to fly non stop for the convenience benefits, but I’d assume the %age of that demographic would be a lot lesser for leisure routes as opposed to a London/EU – Singapore, New York, etc.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls