Thai Airways Business Class TG955 OSL – BKK

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

RoadKing
    Participant

Airport

As most of us, we started our journey checking in at the airport. Me being a long time traveler with *A, used to SAS being the handling agent for the various airlines in this group, went to the check-in counter for SAS. Only to learn that Thai Airways do in fact have their own service at OSL.

The check-in was in good mood, and I managed to pick up a few stories from the clerk. Among others I was told we were lucky, because our flight TG955 that day was indeed with the new 777-300 that used to traffic BKK LHR, but already the next day it would be the old 200. The reason for this, was because they were doing upgrades on the 300’s for the same issue as for the 787 engines, that they could not operate in certain clouds.

I was a bit surprised about this, considering that the 777’s been in traffic for a while and that I had not heard talk of it elsewhere. Oh well.
    While Thai do have their own check-in counter, they do not operate their own lounge, which makes sense. So we went to the SAS lounge which have been upgraded last year, a much needed face lift. Have to say though, they have kept the furniture, and that does have its wear and tear by now, should be replaced. The SAS lounge in OSL is a bit under dimensioned, and this was very clear today with the issues on the east coast of US. NY flights were delayed several hours, which means there were people from both the United and the SAS flights to NY in the lounge. In short, yes it was busy, but we managed to get seated.

Food & Drinks in the SAS business lounge is basic. To get a selection you have to be in the Scandinavian lounge which SAS restrain to gold members of Eurobonus or passengers continuing onwards in First with partner airlines.

We left for emigration approx. 45 minutes prior to departure. It is a 10 minutes walk from the lounge to the non Schengen area. At the check point there were long lines for passport control as the NY flights had finally started action and a couple of other Asian flights had been assigned gates as well.

Arriving at the gate, boarding had just started, but there were no sign showing where to go for Business class check in. So, we just had to excuse our way through the crowd up to the counter, where I asked the clerk whether there was a business boarding. Upon which he confirmed that I was spot on. I commented that there should have been a sign and a separate line, to which he agreed and rolled his eyes hinting at that it was beyond his control and higher up folks did not do their job.

After check-in we ended in a line on the bridge for around 15 minutes. Which I found odd. The TG954 which arrive from BKK is on the ground 6 in the morning and return as TG955 13:30. Hence, in my opinion, there should have been plenty of time to ready boarding. We were now just 15 minutes shy of scheduled departure and economy had not even started boarding yet. It was pretty clear we would not depart on time.

Welcome on board

Upon boarding the plane we were directed to our seats, staff came around and helped with clothes and luggage. We were served champers, orange juice and water. As for the type of champagne, I did not check, nor have I bothered to do this for wine or food. I am not so much into those details, but appreciate it being tasty. The champagne was cool and nice to drink.

Seat

As you may know, this 777-300 is what used to be on the LHR route, with a modern business class seating in the pattern of 1 2 1. This aircraft were assigned to this route in October, we had been seated together on the original equipment, which now were void. Which meant we had not gotten seats together. The seat layout is such that every second row have center seats as couple’s seat and not. Hence, when the route is in fact more of a leisure route than a business route, there will be a shortage of pair’s seats.

Still we had got seats 19A, D. Which were next to each other across the walk path.

The seat space itself is a winner. Not only does it offer a big screen, 14” or 15”. What it shows there is in fact also native, it is no scale up as we see it in for BA new 1st. The resolution and quality of the movies are absolutely great.

There are USB ports and there are power sockets for regular power plugs. Next to your shoulder is a wide shelf where you are free to put drinks, magazines and what not. Also a small open tray in which you can store small items like a usb key etc.

There is a large serving table which is on the wall of the chair ahead, to be unlocked and slided in over your lap when needed. While it provided plenty of space, I have to say I did not feel okay with it, not being able to pin exactly what it was that was wrong though.

This seat, is the first I have seen in the air that have a 3 point safety belt, like those you find in cars. When I fly, I usually strap on the safety belt when I sit down in the seat, and it remains on until we’ve landed. Why? No because I am worried or something, but as long as it does not bug me, I might as well keep it on. This however, was not the case with this 3 point belt. First and foremost, it was not as easy to use as the regular type. Second, it turned out to be very inconvenient with the cross over from my right shoulder to my left hip for issues like head phone cable, moving in the chair, bending over. Finally, the buckle at my hip was annoying, it bothered me all the way.

I see that a 3 point belt provide more safety than a regular 2 point, but this was causing me so much annoyance that I for the first time in years, most of the trip did not wear the belt. Hence, ultimately representing less safety. I hope this will not become a standard.

While the entertainment system was excellent, it did, for some reason not display ETA. This you could find in the top display on the phone embedded in the seat wall. While I thought the latter to be a great feature, I did miss it from the flight map which I like to have showing while not watching movies.

Entertainment system was on all time, also during take off and landing. Which I like. Movie selection was large. Both films and tv.
    Pillow, blanket and amenity kit were provided. All regular stuff. As far as we were concerned, cabin temperature was fine throughout the flight.

Food

Cabin staff came around and took our orders for dinner and the second serving (breakfast for landing in BKK). We were then offered a selection of drinks and snack from a trolley. Not a very wide range, but it had a selection of beers and the most common spirits. As for wines, it was limited to 2 whites and 2 reds.

For starter we got prawns and salad. For which I noticed the bottle with salad oil/vinegar was frozen. Gave it 5 mins and it could be poured. The butter of course were the same way, which applied to all servings.

From a selection of 4 different main courses I picked Pork, rice and vegetables.

There was a serving of cheese, for which we did not get any crackers.
    Finally we got a chocolate cake for dessert.

Food was great and I enjoyed every bit of it. If anything negative, it would have to be the lack of biscuits for the cheese.

One thing came upon me during the first serving. I had flashbacks to my first trip in business back in in the 1990’s. A sensation of exclusivity, and I thought to myself, why? I reckon there were a couple of reasons:
    1. The use of a real serving trolley with linen, not the kind that is stuffed into a cabinet.
    2. Cake was cut and placed on a plate in front of you.
    3. Despite the business section on the plane is large, it did not feel busy at all.
    4. Food were plentiful. Really! Over the last years I have often not really been full after dinner, but this one I was.
    5. Staff very attentive and service minded.

Breakfast serving started just short of 2 hours before arrival BKK, egg omelette that did taste good. Bacon, albeit not much. Sausages and rolls. Optionally you could get a continental breakfast or a plate with cheese and salami.

Breakfast came with a selection of rolls. I picked a regular roll and croissant. The latter must have been brought along from Bangkok as it was very dry.

Arrival

We landed ahead of time, and as we arrived almost at night, of course there were no lines. Transfer to our onward flight to Auckland was smooth.

Royal Silk has a number of lounges here, we tried the lounge on both C and D concourse. The latter was a bit busy (close to the main entrance and possibly a natural stop for those just checking in). We stayed for the most in the loung on the western side of concourse C to have the benefit of the slumbering chambers as we had 12 hrs stop over here. Lounge is starting to look at bit worn, but it is clean, have a nice selection of food and drinks.

Conclusion

Thai Business with the new 777 300’s is indeed bang for the buck. I’d say Royal Silk on these new machines (well, relatively new anyway) with the service level Thai is known for, compete very well with first class of BA and Lufthansa as I know them. Which,I’d say is flattering for Thai and embarrassing for the other, when you consider the huge price difference.

While the seat on these machines may be experienced a bit confined, I’d say it suits me very well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls