Terminal changes?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

• Anonymous

transtraxman
    Participant

I have found this note on “Air Transport World” today.This refers to Iberia changing back to T3 at LHR.

http://atwonline.com/news/other-headlines/

Is this true? I cannot see any mention on Iberia´s or BA´s websites, nor any change in the information provided up until the end of the year.

Moreover, does anyone have any information about BMI´s terminal destination and any terminal compensating moves by other airlines? e.g. SAS to T1 while BMI to T3?

excessbaggage
    Participant

Seems pretty unlikely – they only moved to T5 in March didn’t they? Probably just a typo.

travelworld
    Participant

It’s only the Madrid IB flights which operate from T5. I think it’s unlikely they’d move back. Since SAS are moving to the new T1/2 in two years’ time I doubt they (or anyone else) would move to T1 now only to move again to the new terminal shortly afterwards. But that’s uninformed speculation on my part..

LeTigre
    Participant

I agree that a move to T3 is very unlikely.

http://www.ifw-net.com/freightpubs/ifw/index/eu-green-light-for-iag-takeover-of-bmi/20017950029.htm

Especially considering this part:

“Meanwhile, IAG Cargo today announced that its Ascentis and Premia facilities at Heathrow will now handle all Iberia Cargo’s shipments in and out of the UK. In addition, all Iberia aircraft departing Heathrow will now fly from Terminal 5.

As a result of this move, all cargo and mail for Iberia flights can now be collected and delivered at the IAG Cargo premises, providing customers with a single drop-off and pick-up point for both airlines.”

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

IAG wish to make Iberia more of a low cost airline in EU as seen with Iberia Express, It does not make sense for Iberia to be in T5 a lot of BA flights where moved to T3. Or what have been over looked at BA gains BMI slots and routes they wish to have the money routes of BMI in T5 and then put the leisure in to T1 or T3.

Feeder routes from BA where moved from T5 to T3 like Budapest, Vienna and Lisbon. I known for Traveling to Budapest 2 times a week that most of the plane is made up of Travelers that LHR is not there final destination most of the time flying on to US and Asia.

When I was a in my Teens my Farther lived in Madrid flying there every other weekend to seem Him, we never go on Iberia keeping away from it like a bad egg or dogs poo on the ground.

I do not get the way of thinking that Iberia Madrid feeds BA London network more than BA own flights. Iberia flights being in T5 makes BA flights in T3 look like 2nd Class compared to.

A sticking point with most BA and one world pax and crew is LHR East not being given to BA and one world due to the amount of slots they have does not make sense, or the option of having LHR East (North) while T3 is rebuilt with stacking like T5.

One of the probs of not all BA flights being in T5 is due to the take over of BAA plc due to cost cuts at T5 reducing the sizes the stands and foot prints, this can be most seen with lack of T5D, you might say what about the fuel station that is ment to be move by 214 due to planing laws, but de BAA have got around this, not so seen would be the tunnels that the BA stalf like to call the there little trains, of BAA not carrying on 2 tunnels beoned for planed T5D then on to T3.

Looks like welcomed news for Gatwick “British Airways launched 7X-weekly London Gatwick-Algiers 737 service, moving the route from London Heathrow” Gatwick is good airport much better than LHR T3.

IAG Cargo having one Ascentis and Premia facilities at Heathrow does make sense and Iberia does not have to fly from T5 for this to happen can fly from T3, or T1.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I’m not sure all this talk of BA moving to LHR East is going anywhere.

In the development of LHR East, it was developed for *A carriers and they have been key to the specification of what is in there. Part of the rationale behind them moving in there was BA’s exclusive use of T5 and the fact that BA had major use of T1 & T4 which were both superior to T2 & T3 which is where *A were in the main with the exception of BD.

That BA now have a slightly bigger operation is not sufficient reason for a redraw of the plans and I very much doubt that *A would be willing for things to be changed. It’s not as simple as BAA allocating space or it being given to BA because they want it. There are other parties involved too.

There is plenty of capacity in T5 to absorb BD services from a headcount point of view and nothing to stop BA using buses when they need to, let’s face it they use enough already.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

“There is plenty of capacity in T5 to absorb BD services from a headcount point of view and nothing to stop BA using buses when they need to, let’s face it they use enough already.” There is no room at T5 LPP that the point!

T5 and the satellite where build far smaller than they should have been and T5 C and B where built at a cost that they will need replaceing in the next 10 years, but will look crap in 5 years, if you ever been in T5C it like being in a cheap low cost airport, I am just worried when the A380’s that BA gets them it be like a cattle farm in there.

LPP as BA is the biggest client of BAA at LHR with the most PAX they need space, it stupied not for them to get more space. *A did have BMI part of it until IAG take over so sure BA would want to keep that space at the LHR East (South), you are forgetting that this is ment to be bigger than T5 way bigger! So if BMI was the 2nd in slots after BA would make sense that they have a lot of room at LHR East (South) planed for them. So does not seem silly that you could put rest of One world in LHR East (North).
    T3 could be knocked down and rebuilt.

What people are forgetting is that BMI has planned space at LHR East (South) and and LHR East (North and South is on the site of two old not stacked Terminals.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

The point remains that as far as current agreements go, East belongs to *A, not BA and whatever about sense, I can’t see them rolling over and giving in having had the worst of all deals for years from LHR.

That BA accepted sub-standard 5B and 5C is only their own fault. Should others now be moved in there? I think not.

The reality is that LHR is not fit for purpose so instead of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titianic it’s time to campaign for a new airport to be built.

LeTigre
    Participant

The layout and design, including lounges, has already been finalized at Heathrow East for phase 1.

There is no way BA/BMI could move to the new facility which means the only option is T3. But the earliest moves can happen if SK is unwilling is 2014.

RichHI1
    Participant

Krisflyer you can build whatever you like wherever and whenever you like but if it is done On the cheap and planned bu committee there will Be no improvement. Infrastructure needs to be seen as growth engine and expenditure should be seen as investment, currently it is seen as an overhead and a cost.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

“East belongs to *A, not BA and whatever about sense” LHR is owned by BBA as Airlines do not own Terminal’s at LHR, and East is not only for *A, there will be also other Airlines there not with *A so you need to get out of you head that East was built for *A it was not, it was built to make money and to get pax in.

And BAA need to fill that space as BMI was the 2nd biggest slot owner they would have got space there and still might have on the books there space.

IAG takes over BMI fold BMI in to BA, BAA OMG what we going to with all that space that BMI would have used offer it to BA !

Its like saying we got 100% Terminal space but we going to give 50% *A that how big LHR East as 100% of the space of all LHR with LHR East fully built with T2 knocked down.

So lets get it right you would give 50% or so to *A that use lest than 20% of the lots? Terminal are big shopping centres theses days with PAX trapped for up to 2 hours max BAA going to want the most PAX in there biggest Terminal not the least doe not make good business Sense.

LPP you are right a new Airport does need to be built but not one like foster and co but one near where LHR is now to the West, or LHR could be expanded if planed right. But we be waiting a long time before people start moan that they can’t fly any where!

“The layout and design, including lounges, has already been finalized at Heathrow East for phase 1.” yes it LLP with BMI being there! Who ever brought BMI would need space and BAA could not turn around to New BMI owner sorry mate there is no room at the inn so LHR East has had BMI planed as part of it also only half the dam thing been built!!!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

ChrisBuda82 – 23/04/2012 15:29 GMT

Before you continue to lecture me further about LHR East please be aware that I was involved in the financial contracting of LHR East and I know exactly what was decided by who and when.

Perhaps before you continue you could state your own credentials please.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I believe too that an agreement exists already that *A move to LHRE. It may be that BA are in there in part but really they should be concentrating on making T5 fit for purpose.

I can’t see airlines like SQ and LH being quiet about any proposed changes to the existing agreements, SQ particularly have held out in T3 awaiting LHRE. They are known for getting exactly what they want.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

All I am trying to say is that there is a Lot of space at LHR East (South) even when only half the LHR east is built, makes sense to move T3 in to London East (North) so they can knock down T3 rebuild it. And its common sense that BMI is been allowed space in LHR East (South) due to the fact that it was never sure IAG would take them over!

What is VS had taken over would there been no place for BMI in London East (South), you think BAA would have said to VS sorry mate but it is a *A Terminal.

I do not have to tell you my credentials, things change so get over it, hate you money people it why LHR is London biggest shopping centre!

So tell me why BAA would give more space to *A to One world? In terms of the PAX areas of the Terminals x the floors?

I am a PAX and use T3 a lot its like a cattle class Terminal so tell me why should more flight be packed in to T3 when there is room at LHR East (South) on the site of T2!!!!

Henkel.Trocken I am talking about the the space that BMI would have used in LHR East (South) T2 and LHR East (North) T1 what we call it now when that is built as there be extra space then.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls