Ten hotel room gripes

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

• Saffjoyfox3
    Participant

Yes, minibars are filed under “A” for avoid with me. Vastly overpriced. And I once while in Spain, after a long day I fancied a glass of wine quite late. Reached for the bottle in the minibar – the bottle had been consumed by the previous occupant and just filled up with water!

I’ve never grasped though why so many business-oriented hotels such as Sheratons or Hiltons in major US cities are so badly appointed, with ancient wiring, old light sockets and dreary bathrooms. New York and DC probably the least satisfactory. I don’t think it’s any excuse for the hotel that the time spent in the room is going to be minimal. My recent discovery of the Viceroy while in LA was a delight though – fresh, bright and modern and just the right side of trendy.

BigDog.
    Participant

What you hate about hotels – Telegraph lists top 12

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/9494953/What-you-hate-about-hotels.html

The inability to make a good cup of tea resonates with me. The cups are far too small, the tea bags don’t allow room for it to percolate, fresh milk and teapots are a rarity.
    And the cushions… why so many? If the room has been booked for single occupancy male housekeeping should be instructed to stow the excess cushions.

RogEdwards
    Participant

Whilst I agree with the gripe about waiting for them to bring bags to your room I’ve often wondered why this element of hotel service is so important,

At 5am I lug my bag from house to canb.

I drag said bag from cab to check in.

I recover same bag from baggage reclaim and haul it to a taxi.

I arrive at the Hotel having spent all day dragging, hauling and lugging and in get pissed off that the Hotel takes its time to bring the bag to the room.

Granted my arms are shagged, but if I lugged, dragged and hauled for 5 more minutes I’d be happy in my room and not moaning about the hotel – plus I’d have removed the need to visit the gym first thing because I’d already have Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness before even picking up a dumbbell.

(Gets coat)

handbag
    Participant

TIMOTHY 222
    6) Hotel amenities that do not supply Shower Gel, I dont need 6 bottles of body lotion and does anyone seriously still use shower caps

Great list, apart from No. 6.

Women how have long hair will often use a shower cap. Especially now with the tendency for even the better hotels now to be refurbishing with only a shower and no bath.

Stringfellow
    Participant

All of the above hit a nerve with me but also a recent trend is the practice of asking if I took anything from the minibar and than asking if I am sure when I say no. I first encountered this in Berlin six months ago and have had it twice since (always in Intercontinental)

The last time when asked if I was “sure” I said,

Yes, now you remind me in fact I emptied it and sold the contents to a passing alcoholic” Not a twitter as the great Frankie would say.

rferguson
    Participant

Hotel room gripes:

No fridge.
    If there is a fridge, it is choc full and has an an automated charging system that bills your room even if you move something.

Blinds that don’t completely block out light.

Multi-plug adaptors not in rooms. The US hotels are the worst for this and many even top range hotels do not provide adaptors for UK plugs.

No iron/ironing board.

canucklad
    Participant

Very specific to London Hotels…and sort of links to CharlesQ tea comment….

I delibrately ask if the local water is safe to drink…..mostly to the amusement of the staff….this allows me to show my own bemusement when they charge me £4.50 for a litre bottle of water .

Could you imagine the uproar if petrol cost that much !

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Charles – “I can enjoy a clear cup of black tea without all the scum” – you’re being a bit harsh on the waiters 😉

My pet gripes are having separate hot and cold taps, poor lighting, a lack of accessible sockets and any room that generates static (the Hilton Newcastle Gateshead is the worst I’ve come across for this).

I’ve also noticed that some hotels are now using multi-openings in a single socket so you don’t have to use adapters. I even found this at the modest Aloft in Beijing. A great idea. As long as they are not located under the desk or in some obscure corner of the room.

Simon

Binman62
    Participant

Wi Fi costs…………I can deal with almost anything but not having Internet access is utterly frustrating.

Have just noted that the new Intrcon at Westminster is going to charge £25 a day for wi Fi…..? What planet are they on!

Not getting recognition of status or worse being told that my platinum encrusted gold card with diamonds means that I can have a local paper ….which is then not delivered…..?

superchris
    Participant

Tray charges on room service basically meaning the menu prices are understates.

Not having a socket next to your bed so you cant charge your phone whilst using it as an alarm clock. Result is having to place laptop next to bed and trailing charging wires across the room whilst the laptop charges your phone.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Superchris,

I actually find that the advantage of not having a socket next to your bed is that you have to put the phone on the desk, which means you actually have to get up in the morning to switch the alarm off!

SR

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls