SWISS shorthaul and Zurich Airport Hilton – advice needed

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I posted elsewhere some queries about Malev, and had some useful advice. I could use some similar help about SWISS shorthaul services in Business Class.

I have to go to Ljubljana later this year, and have a choice between SWISS and Lufthansa (from BHX) or Austrian from LHR. I’d prefer to use BHX as it’s on my doorstep, and SWISS are cheaper than LH (even allowing for the required stopover discussed below).

However, SWISS use a subsidiary (I presume) called Helvetia (or is that a typeface?) between BHX and ZRH, flying Fokker 100s.

Has anyone any views on SWISS shorthaul Business Class in general, the subsidiary, or any other useful info?

Also, I am intending to stay overnight on the return journey (no connection on a Sunday) at the Zurich Airport Hilton. Has anyone stayed there recently who could give me a view? An alternative would be for me to stay the Sunday night in Ljubljana and then fly back on the Monday instead.

Many thanks again in advance.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Swiss Shorthaul Business Class is very good. Food offering is usually excellent, seating is comfortable (although not sure on the partner airline’s F100), and the service is always professional and friendly. I much prefer Swiss to Lufthansa mainly due to the Staff attitude. Swiss has the benefit of Germanic Professionalism but with a politeness and courtesy that is very Swiss due probably to the additional Latin (Italian) roots and French elegance.

The Hilton at Zurich Airport, as with most Zurich Airport hotels is off site, located in a very nice green park-like area. The Bus transfer is 5 minutes and is free. The Hotel rooms are comfortable, but try to ask for a Relaxation Room as they are huge, beautifully furnished and extremely comfortable. The restuarant serves excellent cuisine, and their breakfast is outstanding. You will be comfortable at the Hilton Zurich Airport. Also, if you have time, take the shuttle back to the airport, and take the train from the airport into town to explore Zurich.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello Simon,

it is me again, you seem to have picked two topics where i have a lot of experience. I agree completely with the comments of our fellow traveller ‘Dutch Yankee’ but would add that the service on Helvetica was as good as on Swiss, the food and service were excellent and the seats were comfortable enough for a relatively short flight.

the hilton is exactly as described by ‘Dutch Yankee’ and his recommendation about the relaxation room is spot on.

Lets see if you can make it 3/3 topics that i can help you on.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Thanks folks for your help and advice.

It’s also good that your comments are all so positive. Makes me feel spoilt for choice between Swiss and Malev!

Regards, Simon

Senator
    Participant

Hi,

A small piece of important info when travelling with F100 operated flights. While middle seats are keep free on the left hand side when facing aft, the configuration of 2-3 will leave you tight if you choose the A-C rather than D-E-F side. I would avoid the A-C side at all cost, which is also true for SK MD-80s, as well as Austrian F-70/100.

Also, the relaxation rooms at the ZRH Airport are superior to the Executive floor rooms. If you are entitled to HHonours upgrade, try to get these rooms and not the Executive floor rooms. I use the LX business upgrade fares from Stockholm all the time, and I use this combo of overnight at ZRH frequently. While it requires an extra night’s stay, it still is 50% cheaper with the room and flights compared to other carriers.. Finally, the LX onboard product is superior to the “mothership” LH’s product which in Europe is horrible,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls