Swiss shenanigans

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

I presume that, were the culprits working for BA, we would have heard much more about this on this Forum? Not really ideal, was it?

Swiss Crew Caught Dancing on Wing During Argentina Stop

3 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

Not an airline I use.

Quite honestly, it’s nothing to do with business travel and I couldn’t care less.

2 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

Not sure I agree, FDOS and there is certainly precedent on this Forum for discussion of reports about crew misbehaviour relating to other airlines.

It is relevant to business travel were flights delayed as a result of crew misbehaviour…..

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Clearly the action of these younge people was stupid and dangerous for those involved and they will no doubt be in trouble with there employer.However the aircraft was ‘out of service’ at the time and no passengers were involved or even near. The wings would have suffered no damage as they are often walked on by maintenance staff etc.

A juicy tabloid titbit perhaps but as FDOS wrote not a lot to do with business travel.There would be many hundreds of such behind the scenes stories when aircraft and crew are ‘out of service'( most of which I would rather not know) but these would have little relivence to business travel as such I agree.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cybertravller
    Participant

I once applied for a crew job for Swiss, and the response I got from them bordered on the abusive. I refused to fly with them after that. I was not impressed when I gave them another chance on a redemption flight with Aegean. The service onboard was fine, but the lounge in Zurich felt dark and claustrophobic. The quality of the Swiss wine left a lot to be desired.

While, as crew, we all get the obligatory photo in the engine, I have never set foot on the wing. I have no idea how they would get away with that, considering the critical surfaces on and in the wing itself.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Foolish for the crew to do this, and in days gone by I’m sure many crew have done it, but in the era of phones and cameras being everywhere, you cant get away with anything anymore. One hopes they get a slap on the wrist and nothing more drastic. I have always enjoyed my flights with Swiss, the small touches always impressed me, giving a chocolate to all passengers is a nice touch. Granted the J seat is not anything to write home about, the lounges are very practical, overall
    i have always been more pleased with the short haul offering.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AdamMarley
    Participant

When I flew for BA many years ago we used to do NBO trips with a SEZ day stop.

We would either get off and go to a hotel for the day or stay on board and watch the IFE. Frequently people used to open either of D4L/R and sunbathe on the wing.

I have a photo of myself in the engine of pretty much every aircraft type I operated on and I think I photo of us posing on the wing with my friend Claudia, probably in Lusaka.

We opened the upper deck doors for photos, we stuck our heads out of the escape hatch in the cockpit, we rolled fruit down the aisle on takeoff on ferry flights and had fun.

No one got hurt, the plane wasn’t damaged and we all just got on with it.

Why the drama over a group of people having fun at work?

5 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

No harm AdamMarley as long as all knows the limits of safety.
    Not sure if all air crews are trained on limits of walking on wings.

AdamMarley
    Participant

There are areas marked outside which you aren’t supposed to walk because there are parts that could be damaged or there’s a slip risk

Given that modern aircraft are made from metal, not stretched canvas over wood, they’re pretty strong.

Rferguson2
    Participant

I think this one is an issue on two fronts.

Firstly, perception. The public expect their crew to be safety professionals. The first thing I would think if I was a passenger and witnessed that behaviour is ‘this is a not a safety conscious and responsible group of crew’.

Secondly, elf and safety. Pure and simple if one of those guys fell off that wing and injured themself (or worse) workers compo lawyers would have an absolute field day with Swiss.

I have so many questions. Why was this door even opened whilst on the ground? And if it was why did one of the pilots or the Purser/Cabin Manager not get all over this incident in a second?

There are some airlines in some parts of the world I would possibly attribute this kind of unprofessional behaviour with – not Swiss.

5 users thanked author for this post.

samuelwilliams
    Participant

I concur that the crew’s actions were misguided in light of today’s connectivity and transparency. Although high spirits and camaraderie among crews have probably always been present in aviation history, social media now amplifies their impact.

Swiss generally enjoys a solid reputation for hospitality and passenger experience. Their offerings are quite practical for short-haul travel within Europe. Hopefully, this incident will serve as a learning opportunity without severe repercussions, allowing Swiss to continue providing high-quality service with conscientious crews. Compassion is crucial in understanding the challenges of working in high-stress environments while maintaining standards. Considering all factors, Swiss remains a dependable airline for me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls