Swiss Hand Baggage Allowance

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Anyone else find the 8 kg limit is on the low side? Mine weighs on average 10kgs with chargers, wash bag, iPad, change of clothes and papers. Till now I’ve not had a problem but now just came across this on the Swiss website:

“From 1 April, it will no longer be possible to take the following items on board separately.
    1 coat or blanket
    1 umbrella or walking stick
    1 small camera or 1 set of binoculars
    reading for the journey
    These items must be carried in the hand baggage or other personal item.”

Now try and get your coat, binoculars and magazines into the hand luggage and you’ll likely be well over? Assuming it all fits that is!

And having to pack a walking stick I find incredulous. Will it even fit into a holdall and what if you need it to walk?

Size and number of pieces I understand, and a reasonable weight is fine, but 8 kgs is ridiculous.

Any thoughts on this fellow posters?

RichHI1
    Participant

Sounds stupid an unworkable to me.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Sounds like a April fool joke to me!

You can easily wear these items!

Also with web check in, I’ve never has any of my strollers weighed.

P

Swissdiver
    Participant

I looks ridiculous. My guess is they don’t really apply thins until they really need (packed flights). This is not an excuse for the walking stick!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Because of the date I thought it was an April Fools, but it’s still there and they mail it as an attachment with the online ticket.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Far more serious than this particular rule – which like most other posters I find ridiculous – is the arbitrary and random way airlines police compliance to hand-baggage rules in general.

We have all been on flights where someone tries to bring on as cabin baggage several suitcases, lap-tops, suit-carriers and the like, each of which is individually too large to fit in to the suitcase measuring guides. But how many times are they challenged?

One feels for cabin crew, who just want to get us all on board and seated as quickly as possible, and by this stage to challenge is to create a real fuss. The obvious place to check this is at check-in/baggage-drop – but that does not catch the “hand luggage only” businessman who is too important to obey the rules (they only apply to others, you understand).

Any solutions or suggestions?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls