Swiss Green Fares – have not been a success so far

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/fly/on-board/green-fare

A few months ago Lufthansa Group members launched Green Fares.

At the time I started a Forum thread for Lufthansa and I highlighted their drawbacks.

At the time ‘Lugano Pirate’ branded these fares as “hypocritcal.”

He commented, “You can can call it green, yellow or whatever, but it does not mask the fact that aircraft pollute.”

Today it appears that Swiss’ customers have recognised the greenwash.

A report in Germany’s Airliners.de says that only three passengers in 100 have bought a Green Fare.

However that figure applies to all booking channels.

A Swiss spokesperson says that just one in 100 who booked via the Swiss website chose the Green Fare.

The reason is because customers usually pay more for a Green Fare in the knowledge they are helping the environment. Green Fares can be changed but cannot be refunded.

Swiss says the higher fare means the passenger “sees a reduction in C02 emissions by co-finanancing the use of SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel.”

AndrewinHK
    Participant

One assumes this option is mainly to give corporates the choice to carbon offset, an increasing number have ESG mandates, and UBS, for example, has internal targets to meet specifically towards these goals, which Swiss is likely trying to accommodate. I agree there is a lipstick-on-a-pig vibe towards many ESG projects, but I think over time, and if better explained and perhaps rebranded, the option does make sense.

cwoodward
    Participant

I agreed with LP
    Seems unwanted and not worth the trouble…. it will just fade away.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Seems today’s BT article, supports the idea that these fares are increasingly being used by corporates to satisfy ESG mandates, the Zurich/London route being the most popular makes sense. I know from experience, now when booking corporate travel our HR teams go as granular as considering the ‘greenest’ aircraft on a route. It has resulted in travel from HKG to LHR being booked on BA 28 or 32 (789 or 350) versus CX’s midnight departures if they were only operating the 777W into LHR, and Swiss being chosen over BA on the Zurich/LHR route as they more frequently use A320NEO/A220.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls