Swapping first class with economy with a friend

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

• Anonymous

NickDTo81
    Participant

Me and a buddy are off to Europe in mid August. I’m a frequent flyer so actually got my ticket upgraded to first class. The route is YYZ->LHR.

I’ve flown business class a lot, and it’s not a huge deal for me. My friend never has.

I’m wondering if it’s bad to swap seats with him on this long haul flight? Not sure if there are any rules around this type of thing. We’d do it before the plane takes off, not mid flight.

Thanks folks.

TominScotland
    Participant

Not too sure anybody would notice if you just swapped bording cards. I suspect there might be issues if you tried to “formalise” the swap!

What might be worth trying is to put on a really innocent smile and ask at check-in/ in the lounge whether there was any chance that the two of you could be seated together. This has worked for me in the past and the two of us have been seated up front. Of course, they COULD offer you two economy seats, which you can then refuse!!

watersz
    Participant

I do it all the time on long haul flights with my wife.
    she flys out biz and I fly it back

never had a problem yet!

watersz
    Participant

to clafrify we just swap bosrding cards at the plane entrance

VintageKrug
    Participant

You should ensure that you have your own boarding cards at check in, security and the gate.

Strictly speaking, you should take the seat assigned to you on the boarding card. So it’s best to *very discreetly* swap BPs on the jetway and then to make no further reference during the flight to that fact you swapped.

It’s just too complicated to explain this situation to cabin crew, who would likely take a dim view.

You may be able to to visit F from economy for a drink, depending on the airline on which you are flying and the time of your flight etc.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I’ve done this with business/economy, but not on BA.

My (very mature) 8 year old daughter got the opportunity to experience an intra European flight, with the full knowledge and cooperation of the sccm, who reported that she wished all c class pax were so well behaved 😉 It also helped that the business class seat was in row 3 and the rest of the family sat behind the curtain in row 4, so help was close at hand, if required (it was not.)

I’ve no idea what BA’s policy is on this matter, but Vintage Krug’s advice sounds good, especially as the difference is from Y to F.

Flyboy18
    Participant

Speaking as crew, the crew would not take a dim view as VK says…its not like your upgrading him…its just a passenger swap….no problems from our view.

Just tell the crew what you would like to do and it wont be a problem.

And he’s very lucky to have a friend like you….a few drinks on him i think!!

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

I was upgraded to business by cabin staff due to a boarding pass mix-up on OS from Amman to Vienna a couple of years back. After being seated up-front, I asked if I could swap seats with my elderly colleague who was still back in economy. The cabin staff agreed, providing we waited until after take-off. However, in that rather stern Austrian way they told me that I could not come back into business afterwards!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Scott72, please be precise. I never stated that cabin crew would take a dim view, I said they “would *likely* take a dim view”.

There is a difference.

While you may not have a problem with it, the CSD may well do so (we don’t know anything about the OP, whether the individual is a minor etc.) and nor do we know the airline in question, which might have a very different policy from that practiced by the airline for which you fly.

I have attempted this myself (though only on shorthaul) and when I asked the crew member in CE if I could swap, he really didn’t understand that I was just after a seat swap, not an upgrade for my friend, and got very defensive about it, unnecessarily (and no, it wasn’t a UM).

So, on balance and based on my first hand experience, I would caution against involving the cabin crew in this particular enterprise, especially during the busy boarding phase of a longhaul flight, and just get on with it between yourselves,

David
    Participant

I’ve done this often with my wife (having her sit in my business seat – when travelling for work – I sit in her economy seat) on a number of airlines including BA, Qantas, American, Lufthansa and Qatar Airways.

We’ve never had a problem and I normally have a quick chat with the CSD prior to take-off just to let them know what is going on. Far from having any negative reactions, my ‘sacrifice’ is normally well-noted and on more than 1 occassion the flight attendants have brought back goodies (amenity kits, glasses of champagne, etc.) to help ease the pain!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Friends of ours fly to Cape Town and to Miami with either BA or VS, once a year for the last 5 years, with their now 7 year old. They book 1 business and 2 premium economy. During the middle of the flight he will swap seats with his wife. Never any problem.

Once a flight to Riyadh, I was in F and my lawyer in Business. The chap next to me got up, went back and my lawyer sat next to me. Seems the chaps friend was in Business and he asked my lawyer if he would mind swapping for his seat in F. He was delighted to oblige and again no problem from the crew.

So NickD, no problem at all, and I’m sure your friend will have a great experience.

flier74
    Participant

It is not a problem at all after all you are giving up your seat for someone else. I pronanly would let zhe Crew know just in case they are looking for you. And of course, as VK says, if it is BA your friend can invite you to join him for a short while before or after dinner, so you can have a drink together, thats oart of BAs FIRST product, as long as you do not overstay your welcome or disturb other passengers who may wish to sleep.
    Good on you, what a lovely gesture

NickDTo81
    Participant

Great responses. Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Of course we weren’t told if you planned on swapping with a lady-friend or indeed whether your name is Angus McTavish and your friend’s name is Prandeep Ghela.

In both scenarios, the crew might suss out the switch, and it might be helpful to inform the crew in such a scenario.

As ever, ensure they are appropriately dressed for F!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls