Starwood hotels in Dubai

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

FlyinJK
    Participant

As a Platinum [top tier] Starwood Preferred Guest, and frequent visitor to Dubai, I always look for a Starwood property to stay in. SPG.com lists several in Dubai, but the vast majority of them do not offer/recognise the SPG service levels and amenities. I don’t want to book on points, but I do want to earn points, and receive credits for stays toward retaining Platinum.

More annoyingly – the only credible business option for me, which offers points, is the Sheraton Jumeirah Beach, and that is a real dump compared to the other Starwood properties there, like Grosvenor House, or Westin/Le Meridien Mina Seyahi.

What’s up with that? Anyone have any ideas? I adore SPG for their no-blackout policy, but now it seems they are blacking out entire hotels!

Business Traveller replies:

Under the terms of the deal when Starwood acquired Le Meridien hotels, participation in SPG is at the discretion of the individual properties. According to spg.com none of the six Le Meridien hotels in Dubai participates in the programme.

A similar question was posed to Ask Alex recently, and a full reply will be published in the July/August issue of Business Traveller.

FlyinJK
    Participant

Thanks! However, please note – there are several hotels which are NOT Le Meridien’s, like the Westin Mina Seyahi, which also don’t participate in SPG… So it doesn’t seem exclusive just to Le Merid’s?

FlyinJK
    Participant

Sorry – further to my earlier post, there are NOT ‘several’ properties which don’t particpate, they are in fact all Le Meridiens. However, The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina is not a Le Meridien, and does NOT particpate in the SPG program. Would be great if you could shed some colour on this, as I’d love to stay there!

Business Traveller replies:

We are awaiting an official reply from Starwood on this, but it looks likely the reason for the Westin’s non-particiaption in SPG is a result of its close relationship with the adjacent Le Meridien Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina. The two properties share facilities including swimming pools, beachfront, etc, so it would be complicated to allow one hotel to offer SPG points and not the other.

All the Sheraton and Four Points by Sheraton hotels in Dubai do participate in the programme, as do the Dar Al Sondos Hotels Apartments by Le Meridien, and the Dar Al Sondos Suites by Le Meridien.

Starwood also points out that SPG is an optional programme for all Starwood hotels – so each individual hotel can decide to opt in or out. For a full list of hotels that don’t participate, click here.

Whilst we’re on the subject of the Westin, our features editor Felicity Cousins has just returned from Dubai, and has posted a news report on the opening of the Westin – click here to read it. We’ll be publishing a full review of the hotel in a future issue of Business Traveller…

Business Traveller update:

We’ve just had a reply from Starwood, as follows:

“Participation in the SPG Program is at the discretion of Starwood’s individual hotels and resorts. The owning company of the Westin Mina Seyahi is currently reviewing the implementation of the SPG programme at this property. We thank your reader for recognising the merits of Starwood Hotels & Resorts award-winning loyalty programme.”

So it looks like it’s a case of watch this space with the Westin, or if you really want to earn / redeem SPG points in Dubai, opt for the Sheraton properties.

travelwell
    Participant

dont stay at the Dar Al Sondos Hotels Apartments by Le Meridien, and the Dar Al Sondos Suites by Le Meridien. i stayed there only once and it was the worst place i ever stayed at. i checked out around 2am and found another hotel. i thought it might be a good idea to have a small apartment with kitchen as it was a week stay in dubai and i sometimes get sick of hotel restaurants. however this was terribe, dirty bedsheets, broken toilet. no facilities in the hotel at all outside of your room, forget it.

the next time i was in dubai, i stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton Downtown Dubai, which was great. looks a bit crap from the outside but very nice inside and they gave me a great room, with full brand new kitchen, washing machine etc etc, very very modern and nice and a great price. not the best area but ok if you need SPG

VintageKrug
    Participant

I always book via spg.com for the best rates.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls