Star Alliance not so allied

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Given the subject matter here, we thought posters might be interested in a piece we published yesterday about the future of alliances, with quotes from Star’s CEO Jaan Albrecht and other member carriers:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/special-report-whats-the-future-for-airline-all

PatJordan
    Participant

Two months ago, my wife and I flew Newark to Orlando with Continental in their domestic first cabin.

Our Continental OnePass Gold (Star Alliance) cards would not allow access to the Continental Lounge, but my BMI Diamond Club Gold (Star Alliance) did!

Even the supervisor in the lounge agreed that the rules were a little confusing.

That said, I fine Star Alliance very good overall.

amllucy
    Participant

I just flew to Auckland from Toronto via Vancouver and returned the same way. I was shocked to learn that I was in L class on air nz and would not receive any points from them even though they are star alliance. This is wrong on NZ part to my way of thinking. I wish I could contact someone who could help to make changes to this silly rule.

ScottWilson
    Participant

I’ve flown SK and got no NZ Airpoints for it because the fare is low. It’s swings and roundabouts, but then people who pay low economy class airfares wonder why they should expect to get much when they buy what is, at best, a marginally priced ticket (a fare that covers the marginal cost of their trip, with little contribution to the fixed cost). As NZ in long haul economy easily outdoes half the Star Alliance on service and seat pitch, I don’t know quite why people expect extra value on cheap tickets.

Of course neither UA nor US grant lounge access for *Gold cardholders on domestic US itineraries, so frankly given that treatment, it is clear that equivalent benefits do not apply across the board.

Everyone ought to know that the best privileges always get granted by an airline to it own status holders.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

While it’s inevitable airlines will favour their own status cardholders, there should nonetheless be a common set of standards and facilities for all status holders across the alliance – that is after all the purpose of an alliance and something Star advertises.

At Zurich there is a Senator lounge for all LH / LX Gold (senator) cardholders which I think will include Austrian and TAP. For all other *A Gold Card holders there is the Swiss Business lounge. I find this fair.

What I do not find fair or correct is UA or US not granting access in the States for domestic flights when those same privileges are available to their card holders in Europe.

hutch312
    Participant

I have been a UA 1k *A gold flyer for 10 years now and I can say UA is by far the worse International Airline that I have flown. Unfortunately they got Chicago market cornered for direct flights overseas and the other *A airlines are quite good. Perhaps I need to move to a city with better airline service like LA or SF. It is really too bad that UA cannot improve.

starflyer
    Participant

LuganoPirate, All *G pax have access to the Senator lounge in ZRH

US carriers have different domestic rules as they are all selling club memberships.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I recently flew MCT-DXB(LX) – CAI – LHR (MS) in business class on a BMI reward ticket.

Whilst after a little effort could through check my bags from MCT to LHR they could not give me onward boarding cards.

At Dubai there was (surprisingly) no dedicated *Alliance transfer desk. In the end an Austrian counter gave me my onward boarding card for Cairo only. Whilst there was a transfer desk in Cairo this was chaotic and a scramble.

It seems that airlines are *Alliance for the benefits on paper only.. in practice fly two (or more) different airlines and you will find its not us…..

bmidcfan
    Participant

Very true KeaneJohn – airlines are alliance for the paper benefits only. SIA does not allow diamond club ( BMI) customers to fly business class on the A380 or 77W , so no flights available from Lhr to SIn . Then I find out that you cannot use your miles on any class of service on Lufthansa or Brussels airlines to Accra. Every airline has restrictions. What’s the point of an alliance?. Just as you can fly on a TK ticket from IST to KUL – code share flight with MAS but no miles accrued as the metal is MAS- not a star alliance carrier. So why sell a star alliance ticket! * alliance for whose benefit – not the customer!

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

All these frequent flyer thiings are a bit of a waste of effort, in my view. I’ve been in lots over the years, but if you’re not careful, you will alter your behaviour in a way that is out of proportion to the benefit actually accrued. I feel a far greater sense of achievement in once having managed to get a real *free* flight on Ryanair.

DRMorro
    Participant

Singapore airlines is no better, I am a PPS Solitare member for over
    20 years, based in the USA, they have changed aircraft flying out of the USA to the 777ER, and to redeem a free business class ticket you need either 240,000 or 630,000 miles, while all other star alliance and other carriers only require 140,000. Their corp. reason is because of the aircraft and their superior aircraft and service, My action
    is I have switched half of my business to Emirates as I am a Golden member with them and they are fantastic for upgrades and redeeming miles, and now to asia I am flying Cathay Pacific and will make their top tier later this year. I am not the only one who has switched and found the only way to get change is to hit them in the pocket book, donot fly with carriers who donot reward you for your loyalty.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls