Star Alliance (Eurobonus) redemption

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• millionsofmiles
    Participant

I have in the last 10+ years roughly booked 20+ F-Class seats on LH longhaul using miles, mostly to US.
    Difficulty is to get the seat on a desired date, so one has to be flexible there. Also, sometimes, as another poster mentioned, creative routing is advised, although there are not too many options for alternative routings to JNB.
    Maybe try to get a longhaul to somewhere in Africa with LH/LX, where you continue with SAA, this way you can use the Frankfurt F-Class terminal and continue with SAA.
    Is this a viable option?
    PS: Try seatfinder.com, they show free inventory for Staralliance

Senator
    Participant

RoadKing,

There are LH First from MUC, but no dedicated terminal. The experience is still excellent in the First/HON lounges, and you are likely to experience the car service given the frequent use of remote stands in MUC.

All of my LH First experiences have been upgrades at the gate, so I have not been able to experience the ground service.

I have been twice on the new LX First on the A330-300 and it is fab. The lounge in ZRH was also stellar with excellent F&B offer, and the ride to E-Gates in S500 lovely. Anything to avoid the “mooooo train” to E-Gates is good.

My understanding is however, the FCT in FRA is off limit to other Star carriers when flying First unless you are M&M Hon. So don’t bank on taking SQ or TG from FRA and expect access to the FCT. I could be wrong here, but I have “heard” pax being denied access flying SQ First.

I have also experience TG First on A340-600 which is used on the ZRH-BKK route. The BKK experience in First is appearantly very nice and could be a good option. This flight seem to have award tickets frequently. I am in ZRH shortly and I’ll ask Swiss for the policy.

lsd1908
    Participant

Dear Roadking,

I am a LH Senator Member.

I actually only use my miles for First Class tickets and so far managed to get award flights for LH and SWISS couple of times. Even in new Swiss First, just recently in September.
    Just checked online for flights to South Africa/Capetown and found flights in February 2011 in First from Frankfurt.

Not sure whether LH gives priority to LH Miles&More freqent travellers, but its certainly possible to get flights to south africa.
    You might have looked for JNB and there is the A380 in service, which seems still to be blocked for award tickets in FIRST due to its popularity.
    Not sure whether Eurobonus enables you to try to book online, but I would encourage you to repeat to call the Eurobonus call centre and maybe make some reference to infos received from friends!

Nov through January South Africa might challenging since its peak season.

Anyway, good luck

millionsofmiles
    Participant

If you chose a routing starting in FRA via ZRH with the sector ex ZRH in F, you can use the LH First Class Terminal in FRA. I did so on an award ticket in March, routing FRA(LH C class)-ZRH (LX F-Class)-BKK. You can even take a companion along if she/he is booked on the same flight in any class.
    This due to the fact that LX ist a 100% LH-subsidiary.

This way you have the experience of the really magnificent First Class Terminal, car transfer to Plane in FRA and ZRH, and the nice F-service on SWISS. Don’t forget to take your yellow rubber duck from the bathrooms in FRA.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

are you able to fly LH bound and Thai return that way you experience the 2 excellent First class lounges and services (if of course you choose Asia as your destination.

RoadKing
    Participant

Hi all, thank you so much for your input. Much appreciated! LH/Swiss one way and Thai the other way sound like an interesting combination 🙂

millionsofmiles; I tried to open seatfinder.com today, but the browser claim it does not exist. Perhaps it is down for the time being?

Senator; If you could contact me on cheesleREPLACEWITH_ATonline.no I will send you ideas we have.

I realize my idea of South Africa in December next year was a bit optimistic, however I am pleased to hear so many tell about successful redemptions into First.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have never had a problem with either LX or LH booking free seats in F for myself and my wife. Maybe I was lucky and it was the time of year i was traveling though on each occasion the cabin was full.

Having said that, if at Senator (Gold) level with M&M, for a 50% premium they guarantee any available seat, in any class, no matter how full the flight is.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls