Staines Air Disaster

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

CXDiamond
    Participant

It’s the 40th anniversary today of the crash of the BA trident at Staines.

Am I right in thinking that this was the worst ever accident of a UK registered plane on British soil?

I remember the evening well even though I was only ten at the time but we lived in Staines so the impact in the area was huge.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Thank you Bucksnet. All these years later I will never forget that Sunday evening.

I thought there was a protocol that flight numbers were never reused after crashes and yet I think BA 548 is in use. Perhaps it’s too long later for most people to remember it.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’d forgotten all about it, but now you mention it I remember it quite clearly. It also put me off flying for a bit!

tolotaxi
    Participant

BA548 is the 0910 flight to Fiumcino.

Bucksnet
    Participant

With respect BA548 is not BE548.

RichHI1
    Participant

I remember feeling total contempt for the scum that vandalized this monument two years ago.

It was a tragic event but hopefully many lessons were learned to make air travel safer for us today.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Flying into LHR last night and going through some “bumpy” clouds, made me quite nervous after recalling this!

BTW, immigration 3′ 45″ from joining EU queue. 6 desks, 4 manned. Non EU out of 20+ desks only 3 manned and looked very slow going.

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

indeed how sad and thank you for reminding us. Our thoughts are still with the victims.

I read that Pan Am crash over Lockerbie is the worse in UK aviation history.

pixelmeister
    Participant

Interesting thing is how much has changed in 40 years. Safety has been significantly improved with the use of fly by wire and automation, plus lessons learned on emergency exits etc. Security has tightened so the possibility of another Lockerbie has been reduced. Flying is still one of the safest ways of getting from A to B.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls