SQ Welcome to World class, Not.

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• WeiC
    Participant

What is happening to SQ post Covid? Firstly, let me put things in perspective. I am for our national airline and has supported it as a top tier customer for past 26 years, renewing status through annual patronage. Even though it is questionable on the perks at such tiers relative to what other top airlines are offering, I demand nothing more than just basic empathetic service.

I understand SQ has gone through Covid and needs to recuperate. Thus, I have been attempting to plan my flights well in advance to secure seats and be patient with waitlist where necessary.

I made best effort to fly other nearest SQ serving cities around the final main destination in order to use bought ticket(s) and was on perpetual long priority waiting list without getting seats on several flights. I have since forced SQ to refund a few tickets to date.

Bought a business class ticket 1st half 2022 to Japan. Was not able to get seats on couple occasions (noted on the different fare within the business class vertical) . Early part 2023 I finally nailed down possible travel and dates for Jun 23 with return flight on waiting list.

Somehow the booking disappeared from my app and decided to check it out. Reservations couldn’t find the booking. Called again next day and they found that they dropped my ticket due to expiry of issuance dateline. Point to note, I have several flights (some that was eventually refunded) that was on perpetual waiting list and there is quite a bit to monitor. This includes emails from SQ on time changes of flights.

A supervisor agent called 20 Apr and my response (and thoughts) as follows:

Agent: We managed to help you secure back your flight with the return flight waiting list.
    Me: Thanks. This is my original booking thus, your side is reinstating my booking after system auto deleted it. (An apology will be good? Guess not…see her next response)

Agent: It is your responsibility to monitor the expiry of issuance dateline and issue ticket prior. We sent you emails.
    Me: Sure, but how do we issue ticket when i cant get seats? (Well, see her next reaponse again…so, for FRA destination alone, i m on waiting list for MUC/LHR/AMS/CDG/ZRH/FCO/CPH. Did i buy myself a PA/travel agent/slave position alongside a SQ World Class business class ticket?)

Agent: You need to issue your ticket by end April due to validity.
    Me: Once again, if SQ doesn’t give me seats, how to issue ticket? ( See her next approach again.)

Agent: If there are no seats avail in your fare within the class of travel, you can top up.
    Me: Sure. (SInce money drop from the sky, why not just pay $xx,000 and you will get a seat and better, in first class)

I think with the conversation above, it is even more frustrating when the Supervisor Agent says she is trying to help me. I am starting to wonder I am so numb and insensitive not to feel her assistance and sincerity.

After an intense to-and-fro to the point that I had to tell her that I didn’t buy a ticket to hell with all responsibilities or terms and conditions on this ticket targeted at me, an hour later, I got a call with my return seat confirmed.

What does it take for a top tier customer to get a seat these days with SQ, I wonder. Yes, I am one step closer to contemplate relinquishing top tier status of being loyal with SQ after 26 years. This is especially so when after a quarter century of loyalty, there is no formal recognition but torment.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

I dont chase the loyalty schemes anymore.
    Best fare gets my business. Miles or No miles.

3 users thanked author for this post.

w8ster
    Participant

So it seems Singapore Airlines is really going on a spiral downwards mission. I recently responded on a different topic created here. My most recent experience with SIA, the onboard services at least seems to have improved but anything off the plane, it is not worthy of even a budget airline. The call centre agents are clearly untrained and generally read from the script. The website and the app has gone from bad to worse but if I analyze a little on the so called problems with the site and the attitude of the call center agents, it seems all intentional and spells complete arrogance from SIA.

An agent on the phone actually responded with a resounding “That is correct” when I asked if there is no one in Singapore Airlines that can help me with my upcoming booking with a problem caused by your system which you acknowledged is a problem. I was told that the change my booking button doesn’t work and they have escalated to the IT department but they won’t reply for 5 to 7 days and we can’t do anything about it. However, we cannot help change your booking because we do not have access to do the change you need and I am not able to escalate this.

Recently I too had a similar experience where my booking completely disappear from my account on the day of my final leg travel. When I call, the agent told me to search using the ref number and told me she can see it. She completely ignored my question about why it has disappeared from my account and on the app since I had checked in and the boarding pass is on the app. Continuously ignored that and just told me to go to the airport counter and not in a polite way.

Goodbye Singapore Airlines, can’t say I will miss you.

Doesn’t matter how good the product onboard it (which is really isn’t anymore compared to many others), if customer experience before boarding is this bad, I will be switching to a more reliable airline. Unfortunately I have a round trip booked to travel to Australia booked a long time ago but that is most likely my final travel with SIA till at get off their high horse if ever.

anyonebutBAirways
    Participant

sounds like a dream compared to 3rd world BA! even a recent trip on Avianca in Business won hands down to anything BA offer! so there are really much worse than Singapore trust me !

w8ster
    Participant

Totally agree with the view on BA. I black listed BA over 10 years ago. Only had travelled with them when it wasn’t an option and each time reminded me of why I black listed them. I must say though, Singapore ground service is heading that direction for sure.

cwoodward
    Participant

I have never been a lover of Singapore or its airline. I don’t much like its ‘nanny’ state politics and have never liked the service delivery of the airline or the attitude of its cabin crew or its airport with that dreadful carpeting or the need run from terminal to terminal. All to me seems sterile and lacking soul when compared to Hong Kong and its airline.

However there is no denying that many like most things about Singapore and its airline and airport thus it is rather sad to read on several forums that the airlines service and decision making has seemingly declined so steeply over the past couple of years.

This possibly stems back to the several senior management changes made in late 2020 when several senior managers retired or moved on including Goh Choon Phong who had been the guiding light of service delivery and and management style for the previous over 20 years or so.
    These changes were accompanied by an in depth revue that culminated in many significant modifications and adjustments being implicated following a report from its shareholders and senior directors. with the prime aim it seems of quickly growing the airline.

Possibly these changes have not worked well and are the cause of the perceived decline in service delivery and style.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1357431]Possibly these changes have not worked well and are the cause of the perceived decline in service delivery and style.[/quote]

Indeed. Last month I reported on SIA’s trial of serving onboard catering in a cardboard box.

The new service would be for economy and premium economy passengers.

The trial was limited to certain long-haul routes and the result (of the trial) is unknown at time of writing.

Affected routes included those to: London, Mumbai, Sydney, Hong Kong and Seoul.

There was much negative feedback from SIA customers to CNA in Singapore.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have to agree with much on SQ written here.
    on an A350 flight in Biz from AMS-SIN-KUL, i was offered a simple amenities bag, but on the overnight return flight, was told “Policy has changed, if you need one you have to ask!”
    I thinks it is not unreasonable, especially out of Post Covid Hygiene we should all have learned lessons. lessening the risks using items in the bathroom in bottles others have handled!
    It is also reasonable, as they are charging Double the fares post Covid.

Further, SQ kept going mostly, and took much Business from other Asian Airlines, kept their A380’s and have a very modern fleet.
    It feels money grabbing to me.
    I actually also go by Fare, but long haul and high fares, i DO want miles and membership points, but i navigate many Airlines until i find both.
    I also found a fare ex AMS on SQ to KUL, via SIN, brought a fare half price, compared to just going to SIN!
    I saved £1,800!
    And the Outrageous £601 UK Government departure tax, and the incompetent and unreliable use of LHR by using a separate ticket on KLM to from LCY!

I find AF making huge changes, efforts of new cabins, new short haul Aircarft and improving service refreshing now.
    KLM the same, but too many 2-2-2 Business Cabin aircraft, where the expectations now are 1-2-1 on most Airlines.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Let me first provide my disclaimers: I am at top tier of SQ loyalty scheme (PPS although not solitaire), so I had travelled enough on SQ and started again travelling now post-Covid and experienced all classes of SQ. And I am no way connected to SQ except as a simple passenger.

SQ was among the top in both hardware and services, I can tell for for sure as I have travelled many other top class airlines.
    Yes after Covid the food selection is down a notch, but hardware and service is same as before based on travelling on a number of sectors recently.
    Of late I see a bit SQ bashing similar to BA bashing on simple issues in this forum. Those who are frequent travellers knows what is good and bad.
    On the hardware there is pros and cons on the flip over seat, and in my opinion the pros are more. Of course the new seats are at par with other top airlines but I agree it depends on which sector one is travelling to get the new seats.
    So please be rational while complaining about any airline and be comparative with others.

cwoodward
    Participant

I don’t see that anything said here has been at all irrational in fact honest comments all. In this and in other threads here and on other forums it seems that travellers are expressing there honest views that SIA has slipped a notch re food, service and hardware.

As for comments re BA well they have indicated for a very long time now that BA no longer offers a top quality experience which few would contradict.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls