SQ-Economy to Auckland

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Aravindha
    Participant

Dear All,
    My family of 4 are travelling to Auckland from Chennai, India this October. We are looking at travelling on Singapore Airlines-Economy Class. The flight used for this route is a B777-200 ER. They say this is an old flight which does not have the latest wide screen -AVOD IFE that is advertised in the website (Fitted only for B777-300 and above).

Has anyone travelled to Auckland from SIngapore in the B777-200 ER. Is the entertainment and seat pitch worth flying. The other choice for us is to either fly Malaysian or Cathay Pacific.

Please comments

lawnking
    Participant

Oh dear Oh Dear We have travelled with about twelve airlines long haul including Singapore airlines many time.Singapore to Christchurch. was our MOST awful experience ever.
    We were so upset that we went to singapore ailines head office in Christ church and to cut along story short we got to Sin gapore via Sydney via Virgin Then joined Singapore Airline on an A380. Singapore airlines were anything but helpful. Think how much extra we paid.

Later this year we are going to Austrailia. Gues what plane we won’t be going on Singapore Airlines 777

lawnking
    Participant

Oh dear Oh Dear We have travelled with about twelve airlines long haul including Singapore airlines many time.Singapore to Christchurch. was our MOST awful experience ever.
    We were so upset that we went to singapore ailines head office in Christ church and to cut along story short we got to Sin gapore via Sydney via Virgin Then joined Singapore Airline on an A380. Singapore airlines were anything but helpful. Think how much extra we paid.

Later this year we are going to Austrailia. Gues what plane we won’t be going on Singapore Airlines 777

MarcusUK
    Participant

Hi.

The SQ 777-200ER is rather old, used on the Amsterdam- Singapore route.
    Only flown in Business on this aircraft in recent yrs.
    Would you not be better to look at Malaysian or Emirates for yr trip?
    Emirates fly DXB – Sydney direct (you may want to stopover), then onto Auckland.

You may also find as i bought a single one way on Emirates A380 AKL -SYD this was only £90, some savings?

SQ has been very unpredictable in the last 2 yrs, services have cut back on food, lounges, many flights down to Australasia classed as Regional, with the cabins adjusted. BT had an excellent article on the SQ situation, & many comments on here over a long period of time.

Personally I would not use SQ in economy anymore, & unless on the A380 or 777-300ER, neither in Business class.

The Australian route changes mean that there is still one regional seating 777-300, & then the new 777-300ER’s to Sydney, as well as the A380’s. You would need to be very sure that any flight you were on would not change its cabins with SQ.

Personally, i would take MH or Emirates.

ScottWilson
    Participant

The SQ 777-200ER flown to AKL and CHC has a more generous seat pitch than Emirates or Cathay at 34″, although this matches Malaysian. If leg room matters to you, then it is fine. In addition, the entertainment systems IS AVOD, but the screens are small, and the seat width is acceptable with a 3-3-3 configuration.

Of course SQ also fly the 777-300ER to AKL (SQ flies double daily to Auckland) as well, with the new economy seats and wider screens but tighter seat pitch (compensated by the better thinner seat design).

In short, if you take into account that economy class is never fun on a long flight, the greater seat pitch on SQ is positive, and the entertainment system is fine. It is superior to Cathay (both in seat pitch and travel time as going from India to NZ via Hong Kong is quite a diversion), but on a par with Malaysian. NONE of the NZ flights are on “regional” aircraft

Emirates would obviously be a longer trip as it involves a lot of back tracking, and when travelling economy class I think the quickest routes matter, so I would choose between SQ and MH, on the basis of fares.

Aravindha
    Participant

Dear Marcus and Scott,

Thank you for your comments. It is great to have the opinion of people who have fown this aircraft and sector,

Growing up I always believed that SQ product in any class is unmatched. Nut now I feel that many airlines are able to equal it if not better it.

MH positive is that it is a 2-5-2 config and hence travelling as 4 people we can split the party into the 2 seat config and have more privacy.

Flying Emirates or Qantas from Mumbai is a lot of stops and it includes transit time in Australia. Indian Citizens need to apply for transit visa to Australia which is additional paper work and cost.

Now that you have clarified that there is AVOD in SQ with a better pitch. We might take the SQ option.

Thanks once again for your comments.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls