Southend airport in 1973

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

This shows just how much some of our regional airports have changed over recent decades.

Back then Southend was a regional facility but know it’s classified as a London airport.

What struck me, besides the car ferry and regional airport scenes at that time, was the appearance of the immigration officer.

He had the appearance of a traveller let alone someone in authority.

And that blue Ford Capri towards the end. Nowadays, if in perfect condition, it would probably be more valuable than the plane !

[No audio unfortunately]

7 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Very interesting to see – thanks for posting.

On the issue of the immigration officer, the service at that stage was a non-uniformed branch of the immigration and nationality directorate. Basically Home Office civil servants. As I recall, immigration staff only became uniformed with the creation of the Border and Immigration Agency in 2007 – although I stand to be corrected. The only ‘enforced’ dress code was that staff should wear a collar and tie.

Customs staff, on the other hand, were uniformed (as seen in the clip) for staff up to Executive Officer level, when dealing with the public.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I am grateful for your explanation DavidSmith2.

I just wonder how many people would have known.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Ah, memories. Southend was the very first airport I flew from. And that first flight was on the car-carrier too, to Ostend if I remember correctly. 54 years (and about 1400 flights) ago.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1199470]

Cedric – My Dad took us on one of those car carriers to Ostend for the first time in 1952, so almost 70 years ago. The following two years we flew with the car from Lydd airport to Le Touquet.

I can’t beat your 1,400 flights since then, though.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=1199655]I can’t beat your 1,400 flights since then, though.[/quote]

And I doubt anyone now would want to! Those were the days when flying was easier, even quite exciting and fun, and climate change was not even on the horizon. My children are appalled in retrospect at my carbon footprint …

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls