South African AAirways51% share sale confirmed -new chairman and board appointed

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

It is being reported in South Africa that the sale is a done deal to be finalised asap.
    A seemingly well qualified board is said to be in the process of being appointed chaired by former Minister of Tourism Derek Hanekom as interim chair with other board members including accountant Fathima Gany former SA Airports Chief Operating Officer Fundi Sithebe, corporate law expert Johannes Weapond and economist Dumisani Sangweni.

John Lamola will remain on the board as interim CEO.

Takatso the 51% purchaser has highlighted that it will not take the 51% stake in SAA until the historical debt to the government is formally settled.

It rather looks as though finally SAA has a future with sufficient funding available to expand and once again become a ‘proper commercial airline’.

However this is Africa !

Johnnyg
    Participant

[quote quote=1357040]It rather looks as though finally SAA has a future with sufficient funding available to expand and once again become a ‘proper commercial airline’.[/quote]

It might have the funding but it certainly doesn’t currently have much of a fleet. As of April 23 it shows a fleet consisting of

5 x A320 ave age 9 years
    1 X A330 age 6 years
    1 x A340 age 18 years.

Will be interesting to see what they lease for an international netwok and to ramp up a domestic feeder network. (if ever)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Before Covid struck they had I believe 4 A350’s, and a good friend and neighbour, a senior SAA captain, was type rated on it. Though he is now (early) retired, he still works closely with them and he tells me they will soon bring back the A350’s. I’m not sure if it will be four again, but will certainly be one or two.

cwoodward
    Participant

LP It is said to be 2 X A350 aircraft to start again leased from Air Mauritius to arrive soon I understand
    There is I understand also another A330 – that may have already arrived.

Johnnyg – they have of course not needed ‘much of a fleet’ until possibly now and even now there are still ‘ifs’.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls