South Africa Transit

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• bigglesgirl72
    Participant

Hi all,
    Very quick question and interested to hear if anyone has experienced transmitting South Africa to go onto somewhere else. We’re due to fly to Jo’burg and transit to Namibia so I’d love to hear how smooth (or not) the whole process is these days with PCR paperwork, etc
    Thanks

Simon
    Participant

Not done it personally since the pandemic, but we’ve had a number of clients transit in JNB in the last month or so and they have had no issues, all smooth sailing.
    You need to show your negative PCR to transit, along with the usual documents, taken no more than 72 hours before arrival. SA authorities also require you to fill in a health questionnaire too, which is checked.

bigglesgirl72
    Participant

Thank you so much for responding Simon. That’s great to hear. Any feedback on how long transit takes? My arriving flight lands at 08:30 approx and I have a connection which departs at 10:35

Simon
    Participant

The transit area in JNB is normally busy at that time, but flights are quieter currently.
    As I understand it, the shortest transit was around 30 minutes, the longest just over an hour. As always, it may depend on the number of staff at the transit desks.

mikasaeran
    Participant

It is possible to transit South Africa and travel to a third country via air. If you wish to transit through South Africa, you must bring a paper copy of a negative PCR COVID-19 test result. The test should not be older than 72 hours from the time of departure. We advise that you carry several paper copies of your test, as you may need to present it more than once on your journey. If you cannot produce a negative PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test then you may have to quarantine at your own cost.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve never transited JNB though I have flown out many times to other African destinations. Many friends and colleagues have however transited and they all told me it was very quick and efficient. What I’m not sure of is whether you have to clear customs and then do security again to leave? International to Domestic can be done is as little as 40 minutes, so if you have to do all the departure formalities again I’d say maximum an hour.

bigglesgirl72
    Participant

Thank you everyone!
    Sounds like it’s not too bad then. I have a separate Airlink reservation so will talk nicely to the Lufty First class check-in and see if they can check us through šŸ˜‰

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[postquote quote=1114663]

Airlink is no longer associated with SAA and is not a member of Star Alliance, so I’m not sure about through check-in. It used to be the case when you’d book Airlink flights via the SAA website, but that’s no longer possible. Also, the baggage allowance is 1 piece of 20kgs in Economy and 30 kgs in Business – so if you have 2 bags of 32 kgs, expect to pay extra.

Also, having status with *A, or arriving in Business or First with LH, no longer entitles you to use the SAA lounges – assuming they still exist?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Having written what I did, I just came across this announcement from Airlink from January 2021, so it looks like you can interline and check through to your final destination. šŸ˜‰

bigglesgirl72
    Participant

LuganoPirate you had me worried there as I know LH sell the connection Iā€™m on as one ticket. Long story but this was a ticket bought in the LH F sale way back in 2019 before ā€œthe eventā€, so I couldnā€™t add the Airlink connection on when I re-booked each time to keep up with the changing travel restrictions! So had to book it separately

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry if i worried you Bigglesgirl72. I just remembered from when I was in SA reading how Airlink had severed all ties with SAA. Airlink is a great airline and kept virtually a full schedule throughout the pandemic. The only one in SA to do so I believe. Rodger Foster, the owner, is an incredible businessman who I’ve met, and the airline has remained profitable despite the lockdowns and so on. He was actually pleased to be able to sever the connection with SAA.

I’m giving this advice based on how it used to be up till January 2020, the last time I flew down pre-pandemic. Then it was LX and SA Express but I would also book separate tickets as not only was it cheaper, but I could also catch the earlier flight. When checking in, you must show the onward booking reservation, and ask them to through check to the final destination.

If you have to collect your baggage at OR Tambo, do not remove the tags, as you’ll need them for the final flight check-in.

Have a great trip, Namibia is a great country, really beautiful. A final tip, do not change money at JNB, as the exchange rate and fees are a real ripoff. ATM’s in Windhoek all deliver Namibian Dollars with foreigh credit/debit cards and the SA Rand is freely accepted. You’ll need some cash just in case, as Credit cards don’t always work in some remote areas.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls