Sometimes Nice Things Happen

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• esselle
    Participant

I had to make a last minute unscheduled trip to Helsinki, so bought a cheap as chips Y ticket with Finnair from LHR.

When I checked in I was told I could use the (brand new) CX First Class lounge, so I happily toddled in, had a nice light supper in the waiter served restaurant, together with a couple of glasses of Grand Cru Chablis, and enjoyed the comfort of the lounge for an hour or so.

The flight to Helsinki was uneventful, and when I checked into the airport Hilton, was given an upgrade to what must literally have the best room in the house.

Sometimes nice things happen.

Charles-P
    Participant

It’s a coincidence you should write this post esselle because I was about to write something very similar. Last week my son returned from university in the US to the UK for Christmas. He arrived at JFK utterly exhausted after an appalling journey that comprised a broken down taxi, a near miss with a motorcycle while crossing the road and an attempted mugging. At the BA bag drop desk he was telling the story to my wife on the phone and was overheard by a BA supervisor who interrupted him and said,
    “Let me make the rest of your journey more enjoyable”. He was upgraded to First from Business and when on board was seated next to a British actress he very much likes who turned out to a joy to speak with. When I collected him at Heathrow he was still beaming with happiness.

canucklad
    Participant

Nice stories Charles and esselle
    Got me thinking about the last time a nice thing happened to me, and actually you’ve reminded me that nice things happen to me every day……
    A friendly chat with my driver this morning or an engaging member of cabin crew tonight, or indeed my hotel manager this week profusely apologising for my broken telly…..All nice moments
    And today, the nicest thing that’s going to happen (Touch Wood) is getting home, visiting my local and having a lovely pint of Dunbar’s finest Best in the great company of my friends, but don’t tell them I said they were great company.
    Have a super duper weekend.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What a nice thread this one is….

Last night I stayed at the new(ish) Okura Prestige in Bangkok. As I was checking in the GM Mr Edward Snoeks, came over to welcome me which was a nice touch. We were talking about my travels when the reservation clerk checking me in gave me key. I checked re club access and the reply was that the room type I had does not come with club access – not a problem..

The GM also said “not a problem” – and without me having to glance towards him, he arranged access. A nice touch.

As a side issue, I must say how fabulous this hotel is…..

esselle
    Participant

Nice stories guys.

Mine ended differently on arriving back at LHR, as the baggage handlers there interpret a “Proirity” label on a bag as meaning “leave it until last”.

DerekVH
    Participant

[quote quote=781567]Mine ended differently on arriving back at LHR, as the baggage handlers there interpret a “Proirity” label on a bag as meaning “leave it until last”.[/quote]

esselle +1 From LHR I am normally travelling in F and I don’t think my bags have EVER had any priority. I am convinced the LHR baggage handlers have a warped sense of humour by sending a few bags to the belt and then waiting 15 minutes before the rest are sent down!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

esselle, Derek

Agreed, BA doesn’t seem to operate a priority bags service (an opinion derived from a lot of flights).

Tramor01
    Participant

Martyn Sinclair, that’s part of the new-ish building just behind Ploenchit BTS isn’t it? I remember it being built when I used to use the Plaza Athenee.
    As it happens I just arrived in BKK this evening too for a couple of days

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It is connected to Phleon Chit by stairs…. and bang opposite the Plaza… superb hotel but I will not get the same value that I get from the Westin.

Are you at the JW??

Could meet for a drink tomorrow day time…. or cocktails at the Westin early evening.. but I do have a dinner at 8pm

Tramor01
    Participant

Hi Martyn I’m at the Four Points….. Know the management here as the company use the hotelregularly – They do nice things too. But planning to start using the Westin again from Jan
    Just seen message – I’m around daytime/early evening if you’re free? Local number is 0924722242

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls