Some help and inspiration for a new Euro traveller

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

AlenaZeee
    Participant

Hi everyone! A female friend of mine from Canada is looking to go on an extended (3+weeks) vacation across Western and Central Europe soon. She hasn’t planned exactly where she wants to go, but she’s extremely interested in ‘going off the beaten path’ – less touristy destinations basically. She also loves exploring at her own pace, so the first thing that came to my mind were possibly hotel/rail/bus passes…

I’ve been going around looking for information, but so far have been pretty fruitless in my search. I was wondering if any of you could recommend any travel forums or blogs as good places to start for information. She will also be travelling alone, so any sites/tips particular to that would also be extremely helpful.

She’s hoping to leave in early December, and stay up until just before Christmas. Given she wants to see lots on a budget, any tips to economize on transportation/hoteling/visiting destinations will also be really useful.

As someone who has only done a quick weeklong trip across Germany, I thought you guys would be in a much more experienced position to help her out.

Again, thanks so much in advance!!

trusman
    Participant

hi there!

I hope this might be of some help…. Have you looked at/ tried interail? http://www.interrail.eu/?gclid=CPGIh4yVqboCFfMQtAodc34AHA

My daughter did this over summer, you basically buy a rail pass which covers you over x amount of journeys in over 30 European countries! have a look at the destinations tab on the link i posted! Its from £160 Its very popular with the young/student crowd (to which my daughter is a member) and is also very cheap! you could potentially get your a friend a flight to London… do London/the UK and start her interail on the eurostar from st pancras….. have a look into it! its really cheap and good for those on a budget!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

And also note that non-European residents qualify for a Eurail pass.
    Visit eurail.com

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Alena
    Will take a bit of research and forward planning…..My alternative suggestion to your Canadian friend is to find cheap digs for her stay near London Stansted and then take advantage of the really cheap deals that the low cost airlines offer……
    She can then head off on Ryanair to destinations across Europe
    Their destinations are definitely off the beaten track
    http://www.ryanair.com/en/cheap-flight-destinations
    I would also agree with trusman…..interlining definitely gives you a feel for Europe…and you can cut down on cost if you avoid the “superfast “ trains…Plus an added benefit is that if your pal doesn’t mind roughing it….she schedules longish train journey sectors overnight…..thus avoiding hotels!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello canucklad
    That’s why I suggested the Eurail pass because it allows passengers to use high-speed trains without a surcharge. But there may be a small fee for the seat reservation itself.
    The Eurail pass is a good deal, that’s why we Europeans cannot buy it here !

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ AlenaZeee – 21/10/2013 16:40 GMT

Some questions: does your friend want to do cities or countryside? Culture or clubbing? Are they young, youngish or maturing gracefully? Sedentary or athletic? How much time do they want to spend travelling from A to B rather than actually exploring A or B?

Personally, if I am clearly time delimited, then I would prefer to spend a fair amount of time at one place, exploring the locale, before moving on to one or two more. Sure, the “getting there” can be fun but there is also a lot to be said for the “looking around” once you’ve arrived.

kevin46
    Participant

Try posting queries on Tripadvisor forum pages for specific destinations. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome. She may be surprised at the amount if information that pops up.

CarlaDevis
    Participant

Oh, whao that is very inspiring that you are having solo trip. I have traveled but never experienced solo traveling. Hope one day that I will also unite all my courage and go for solo trip.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls