Smoking on board!!!

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

+1 HueyJudy, I too am a long term smoker and despise being in confined spaces with smoke (HKG smoking rooms anyone!), i never smoke in front of others in bars and resturant in a country that allows smoking and nobody else in the near vicinity is smoking I will excuse myself and go outside. I despise the could not care less attitude of my fellow smokers.

MrMichael
    Participant

I too am a long term nicotine habit. Not been to HKG For many a year but can tell you that BKK smoking room caused me not to bother, absolutely disgusting. SIN by contrast is really pleasant. I do think LHR needs to look at this if serious as a transit stop, it needs smoking rooms for transit passengers.

stevescoots
    Participant

T4 has a smoking area airside near gate 1, down the stairs into a cage. its ok as its undercover outdoors with benches and heaters for the cold. But as T5 is the main transit part there should be one there. to be honest I dont think many smokers would mind paying to use one, maybe 20-50p to enter. would cover cleaning costs etc

StewartK
    Participant

There was some discussion about this when LHR T2A was being designed but the difficulty always lies in the potential impact on the health of staff who have to enter these places – for cleaning and maintenance.

Inveterate smokers will be reassured that there are smoking rooms in the new JED international terminal.

SimonS1
    Participant

Went through Dubai recently and passed the smoking room on the C concourse (sponsored by one of the tobacco companies). It looked like there was a fog in there and you could make out these sad individuals puffing away.

No doubt when they get on the plane they smell like a walking cigarette packet. I feel sorry for whoever sits next to such people.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Seems that the T5 smoking cages, outside the terminal, are only used by uniformed BA staff (they must have been told). Passengers and others, are happier smoking along the pavement – it feels and smells like one big smoking lounge!

StewartK
    Participant

Running the gauntlet at STN from the Mid Stay bus drop off to the first departure entrance is back to its old self – and the pavement/ashtray cleaning regime cannot cope.

MrDarwin
    Participant

A week after stopping smoking (taking up vaping instead) in December last year, having been a heavy smoker for 18 years, I visited T5 at Heathrow and decided the smoking cages outside were my new most favourite place in the world 🙂

Interestingly, just as you enter the security pre-screening area (or it might be when you scan the boarding pass) at fast track, there’s a small no smoking sign. Just beneath the usual no smoking image there’s text that says “The use of electronic cigrarettes is permitted throughout the terminal buildings”.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Happened to me Simon. At the old Doha airport I saw this chap going in to the smoking lounge then coming out about two hours later as we went to board. Already on the bus he filled it with the aroma from his clothes and then my worst fears were realised when he was seated next to me.

Luckily it was not a full flight and when the doors closed he quickly decamped to another free row in front and on the other other side, much to my relief.

PerthWA
    Participant

Being the idiotic addict that I am, Martyn Sinclair I can definitely give you the answer to this… YES and NO.

I actually gave up smoking for 10 years after trying to plan a RTW trip from Perth which drove me nuts and giving up seemed much less inconvenient. I guess I had willpower then…

Having stupidly restarted smoking, am beginning to wonder if I do it just because everyone tells me I can’t! HOWEVER…

Yes, I’ll fly through DXB, ARN, SIN, HKG and anywhere else I can indulge my horrible habit but what really really bugs me is that for example, Emirates Lounges in both A & B terminals have smoking sections in both Business and First lounge – no walls, no enclosure nothing. Smell of smoke? Zero.

Arlanda has a little cubicle with some incredible technology where unlike HKG’s ‘killer’ cubes… actually disperses all trace of cigarette smoke/smell etc.

Singapore of course is the most sensible of all. Outside.

If DXB, SIN and Arlanda can do it, what is the problem with the rest of the airport community? They certainly don’t actually care about my – or your – health because they will still happily sell us all duty free cigarettes… or am I just cynical?

canucklad
    Participant

I’m a non smoker, but thought I’d let all you flag hounds know that the old Dublin terminal as smoker friendly. The airside sports bar upstairs has an outside smoking area with heaters….

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls