Skywards Changing for Bad or worse ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

• JackyLek
    Participant

In my opinion you should get miles for the flight you have made, plans do change and sometimes its better not to use last segment. But one thing you must do is alert the airline so they dont wait for you. I do have questions that SiteAdm. may forward to Skywards : Do they have any plans to change the Look at the Skywards cards, and introduce new levels?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I will certainly try and find out. I believe the answer to the first question is yes….

“2010 also marks Skywards tenth anniversary. To celebrate, we will unveil an exciting, contemporary new look. Most notably, you can look forward to receiving a distinctive new membership card that truly reflects your status as a valued Skywards member. “.

and the second is no, for the moment…

“Will Skywards be having a 4th tier, above Gold? Isn’t this the perfect time to introduce one?

Emirates is continually looking for additional ways to provide recognition and exemplary service to our very top customers. For now, the Gold tier remains our most elite tier with benefits and privileges deserving of our best customers.

ChrisGilmour
    Participant

The most basic question. Will an existing Economy-type ticket-i.e one that can be discounted and not the flexible one that will be introduced in 2010-still attract one full Skywards Mile for each mile flown?

And if so, presumably the flexible economy ticket will then have a premium Skywards mileage award?

Alternatively, is Skywards only going to award full miles for a flexible Economy ticket and downgrade the mileage allowed on a discounted ticket?

It’s not clear from the press release as it only mentions the higher awards for F & C travel.

The net effect of the latter move would be to significantly reduce the ability of discounted Economy travellers to attain Silver or Gold tiers, which would be very much in line with BA’s policy.

Perhaps they’re still debating the issue?

JackyLek
    Participant

I found this info on the Skywards 10K changes :

# How many Miles will I earn on ‘Skywards Flex’ and ‘Skywards Saver’ fares?
    # You will earn 100% of base Miles when you purchase ‘Skyward Flex’ fares. You will earn 50% of base Miles when you purchase ‘Skywards Saver’ fares.

Increased class of travel bonuses will be earned separately, as will any Gold/Silver bonuses. New Miles Accelerator bonuses will also be earned separately. (see relevant sections below).

Business Traveller replies:

We’ve now posted an exclusive interview with Brian LaBelle, senior vice-president of the Skywards scheme, regarding the forthcoming changes. This can be read at:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/emirates-skywards

JackyLek
    Participant

Thanks SiteAdm for making the story.

Is just confirmed Skywards is getting harder, and its not a everyone product anymore, is targeting F and C pax as state. This is very sad that one of the last major program is turning around. The time will show if this was a smart move or not, as the Flying Blue program.

I know that many of my friends will not retain their tier in the FB program since they make it harder to earn miles. And the result they are not loyal to KL or AF when they book their ticket anymore.

Cleancabinair
    Participant

As with Cityprofessional, I shall have to assess the impact it will have as well on my flying. Having been a loyal member since launch of Skywards 10 years ago I don’t feel that EK have lived up the expectations of its members. To introduce this scheme at this point when we(frequent travellers) are suffering as well the airlines, is a great disappointment. Just because Skywards change the scheme to award those Pax who fly F&C/J,this situation is not going to change the attitude of our firm’s travel policy which is to use Economy or maybe budget airlines where available! This is so representative of the arrogance that I have come to expect from this airline! EK should find a few other schemes to fill their empty premium class seats! So maybe there will be a shift from EK altogether if they are not prepared to reward the Y traveller as they used to. And when a traveller is paying for a ticket for themselves they are going to definitely travel on the best deal that they can find and it will not necessarily be with EK!! All of these changes against the traveller, when there is no hint that EK might introduce an upgraded or Premium Economy (been suggesting that for ages), so that we may still conform to our company’s Economy travel policy rules. EK’s loss maybe BA and VS gain on the London routes! I am happy to travel 3/4 hour down the Shaikh Zayed Highway to AUH if EY are going to welcome disaffected EK travellers. If EK want to go down the BA Executive Club track so be it, but it will be without me and I suspect a few other pax!

Airpocket
    Participant

Skyobserver, I doubt you will have to punish yourself by going up the coast to AUH. I’m sure some of the other European carriers – LH, SWISS, for example – would give you sufficient miles/points. Or, you would have the choice of Qatar Airways. KLM and AF may not give you the full rack of miles for discounted tickets but they do make it up by providing ridiculously cheap Promo Awards online (e.g. it only costs 12,500 miles for a one-way ticket to the US/Canada). But,yes, this does smack of arrogance on the part of EK and I,too, will have to switch to other carriers for my leisure and business travel.

JackyLek
    Participant

As long they do have seat availble on the Promotion-Award, and if they do run regurlarly with differents promotions citys and all classes not only Economy.

Cleancabinair
    Participant

In case anybody with a Skywards account wants to get a ‘head-start’ with Virgin Flying Club to gain Silver status now to be rewarded for flights to and from London, check this link out ……
    http://www.virginatlantic.com/corporate/micropage.view.do?id=16537&page_id=1

As well as benefiting from VS flights you can gain on SQ flights going east, an airline that has superb service and extra comfort even in Y when compared to other airlines….
    It will be interesting to see if VS get an increase in applications from the UAE for the silver status card and subsequent increase in traffic…

Happy flying!! Pip! Pip!

JackyLek
    Participant

OK people, I read the new earnings and rewarding scheme bad, bad, bad ! Do anyone else have other meanings ?

Cleancabinair
    Participant

Hi Jacky Lek
    Are you reading the original proposals from Skywards? or a New explanation on the scheme?
    EK are being very reluctant to talk about the new proposals in public.
    I hear that the media have been asking Brian La Belle, Manager of Skywards, to talk about the new scheme, including an interview on a radio station however he is being evasive. I wonder why?
    Must be strict instructions from Tim Clark not too open up discussions until the scheme is ready to ‘roll-out’! Not that it would make any difference as they are so arrogant in their ‘Ivory towers’ (or is it glass and aluminium at DXB International!).
    I expect the worst and I am sure that I shall not be disappointed !
    So much for loyalty……EK don’t believe in it!

Cleancabinair
    Participant

ahh I see I have found the new site ….. seems that they have listened to a suggestion that i made to provide a site with examples ….however I don’t like what I see !
    PREDICTABLY POOR MILES EARNING OPPORTUNITIES!
    EXPENSIVE REDEMPTIONS!

CrazyCanuck
    Participant

Ive had a look at the website. The simplicity and clarity of the past is no more. Long live confusion and frustration. Even worse is that the redemption flights are more difficult.

JackyLek
    Participant

I remember that they said that F/C will get increase the miles, but from what I can calculate in C-class you only get around 800 miles more in Flex fare I assume in FULL business fare and saver C fare you get LESS 2000 miles !!! What a joke this new scheme turn out to be and the interview that they said! I hope SiteAdm can follow up. And the reward miles is still the same way. My compare route is LHR – BKK .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls