“Skytrax” exposed by Watchdogs

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

I know that this has been mentioned in the past but is this the end or…..is it just a case of a couple of “brown envelopes”

Monday 12th November 2012

Leading travel review site exposed by advertising watchdogs

An investigation by advertising watchdogs into a leading airline and airport review site found it was unable to back up several of its claims, including that reviews on its site were posted by genuine passengers.

The Skytrax Research airline review website http://www.airlinequality.com claimed to provide an airline rating system and customer reviews for airlines and airports worldwide based on what it said were “checked and trusted airline reviews” from over 5m passengers.

However, the Advertising Standards Authority said there was no evidence that Skytrax had followed the robust procedures it claimed it had in place to check all reviews were genuine.

Although Skytrax argued that every review underwent a four-stage authentication process, it said it was unable to provide proof it had followed its own procedures as customer emails were deleted 24 hours after a review was submitted.

The ASA, which launched an investigation into Skytrax following concerns raised by online reputation management business KwikChex, said that because Skytrax did not have the ability to track a review back to its source after the first 24 hours, and therefore could not demonstrate the verification process to which any one particular review on the site had been subjected, it did not hold sufficient evidence to substantiate the claims “Checked and trusted airline review” and “REAL travellers with REAL opinions!”.

The ASA also ruled that airlinequality.com’s claim that it offered 5m reviews was misleading as the site contained only 400,000. Skytrax claimed it had received 5.4m reviews since 1999, but said the oldest ones had been archived.
    However, the ASA said readers would be misled into thinking they could read 5m on the site.

Skytrax was also found to have misled the public by claiming to provide an “Official Quality Star Ranking” system as it was unable to prove its claim that it had launched its programme with the backing of the airline and (later) airport industry, and the ASA also said there was no evidence that several titles used by the site, including 5 Star Airlines” were trademarked, as claimed by Skytrax.

In its ruling, the ASA said: “We told Skytrax not to imply that the reviews on their site were checked, trusted and genuine unless they could provide substantiation to that effect. We also told them not to make claims regarding the number of reviews on their site and the frequency with which they reviewed airlines’ Star Rankings or to state that titles were trademarked, unless they could provide evidence to substantiate those facts, and not to use the term “Official Quality Star Ranking (TM)” unless they could show that this programme had been created in co-operation with the airline industry as a whole.”

Skytrax also runs the http://www.worldairlinesurvey.com which is frequently quoted by carriers worldwide

capetonianm
    Participant

I don’t think I will bother submitting reports to airlinequality any more after them twice throwing a little wobbly after I submitted a report, with them emailing me to say :

“Due to the comments submitted being sent from a country IP address that
    does not match the stated location, our web section cannot authenticate
    this and it might be deleted.”

Yes, indeed, this is an airline based website and people travel, so I might be a resident of country ‘A’, and having just flown to country ‘B’, I’m submitting my report from there. Or, as in my case, I’m a resident of countries ‘A’ and ‘B’, and am submitting my report from country ‘C’ or even ‘D’ This seems to be a big deal to them. I find it shortsighted, pathetic and childish, it’s almost as if they are trying to catch people out.

I know perfectly well that my IP address is visible and tells anyone where I am (unless I use a proxy/VPN, and I don’t as I have nothing to hide.)

Does anyone else think this is pathetic or is it just me?

StephenLondon
    Participant

It isn’t worth wasting your time or even breath when it comes to Skytrax / AirlineEquality.

capetonianm
    Participant

I think you’re right Stephen, the problem is that many people are fooled into believing that it is a fair and impartial guide to the quality of service offered by different airlines.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I tend to agree with you Capetonian. Also, like tripadvisor anyone can post a comment making it not very reliable I think.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls