SkyTeam sees Gol and Virgin Atlantic as candidate, eyes Jet airways for India and Garuda to enter in March + AF is courting AB.

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

Vertrek
    Participant

Reported by Bloomberg.
    http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-03/delta-air-france-led-skyteam-sees-gol-virgin-as-likely-recruits.html

Virgin is looking to join around 2015. My question is, if VS decides to join, would Virgin Australia and Virgin America follow? Considering VA has a good relationship with DL and said that ST is their preferred option over Star and VX strong California hub would complement DL’s US networks.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Hi Vertrek, at least you now know when Garuda will be joining Skyteam! It is a pity they could not join Skyteam prior to, or at the same time as their London launch flights – it might have influenced some travellers choice of airline!

Virgin Atlantic I think really should join, and maybe America, but Australia might bemore difficult – have SQ recently increased their investment in that carrier? But if Virgin Atlantic are to remain relevant they must join.

Gol should join for certain, and sooner rather than later. They are missing out on feed from European carriers which currently mainly goes to TAM. Of course TAM is switching over to Oneworld, but if Gol goes to Skyteam this would be feed from AF, KL, AZ, UX and of course VS if they join.

GOl joining would also enable partnerships with Delta, Aeromexico and Aeroloneas Argentinas, as well as Kenya Airways when they eventually launch their Brazil flights.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Well spotted Vertrek!

Etihad is a cool calm mover behind all these changing influences and directions. They move in, take a financial share, influence the strategy and direction of that Airline to match in with its own ambitions, and to co-operation.

They clearly have the finance, and you can see a short and medium term strategy. I wonder what the long term would be…as they will have part ownership of so many Airlines, They tend to add to their shares later, as in Virgin Australia…

And what of their intentions re Skyteam, recently rebuffed by the CEO?

Mysterious goings on i think, beneficial, and looking rosey on the outside for Skyteam, but who really will have control in the end?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls