Skyteam frustrations

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Rferguson2
    Participant

Being predominantly UK based I have maintained a strong allegiance to OneWorld but post -COVID I have decided to flirt with the other main two alliances when a better deal represents itself in Business Class.

I like OneWorld. It isn’t without its faults but being Emerald having access to F lounges is great and something that I don’t think is provided alliance-wide with other alliances?

Star seemed pretty decent too with some good airlines (TK, EVA, ANA spring to mind).

Then we have SkyTeam. What a basket case! Or, is it just me?

Firstly, there was the ITA mess. ITA joined SkyTeam and offered a status match to other airlines to the equivalent of OW Sapphire/Star Gold. The only problem was – none of the other SkyTeam airlines would recognise the SkyTeam status. Twice I was turned away from lounges (the first, KL in AMS and the second, DL @ JFK) with both airlines saying ‘ITA is part of SkyTeam but not fully integrated yet’. Well, that may be the internal ‘official’ line but its certainly not what SkyTeam are displaying on their website they list ITA as a full member.

Then we come on to travelling seamlessly across airlines of the same alliance. Especially when using more than one alliance member in the same booking.

In fairness, none of the alliances are amazing at this. Even within OneWorld or indeed within a group of airlines owned by the same parent company (IAG springs to mind) have systems that seemingly do not talk to each other. However, I have always found that a quick contact via social media will see me provided with a different PNR for the operating airline versus the ticketing airline or the operating airline will simply manually assign a seat.

I have found Star Carriers generally excellent at recognising each others bookings in the various carriers systems and passengers able to manage all aspects themselves.

SkyTeam. Dear oh dear.

First scenario. Found a great J class deal that was ticketed by KLM for SFO-CDG-HAN. The SFO-CDG sector operated by AF and the CDG-HAN sector by Vietnam airlines. One ticket booking. I was immediately able to assign my preferred seat on AF but not VN with the manage my booking page showing ‘contact’ operating airline. So I do. Vietnam’s reply ‘you need to contact KLM, they are the ticketing carrier, we can not open the booking’. So, I do. KLM replies – we are only the ticketing airline, VN is operating the flight and ‘owns’ the seatmap so only they can assign seats. I suggest you go back to them’. Screenshot conversation. Back to Vietnam Airlines, attach screenshot, ‘KLM says that it’s you guys that can assign seats’. I get a curt reply ‘for KLM ticketed flights contact KLM’.

I put this one down to some weird systems thing with Vietnam airlines and a one off. But, no.

Yesterday I booked another flight – again a single booking, via Air France to Mexico City, spending two nights there, then carrying onto Sao Paulo on AeroMexico. Exactly same drama, AF saying they can not assign seats on Aeromexico as they are the operating carrier, AM saying they can’t assign the seat as the flight is ticketed by AF.

Am I just having a run of bad luck or is SkyTeam just useless?

Please note I am not criticising the airlines of SkyTeam specifically – AF has definitely become my favourite european carrier. But the alliance just seems almost useless.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting experiences. I do get the impression these alliances are great from a marketing experience but less great when it comes to operational matters.

The same issues often apply when crediting missing mileage across alliances, or when baggage goes missing, or indeed if you ever have to claim compensation.

FDOS
    Participant

Speaking form recent experience, the VN website is not particularly user friendly, can’t add FF number (KLM) until check-in.

Senator
    Participant

I hold highest status in all three alliances (M&M Senator, EuroBonus Gold, BAEC Gold and AF/KL Platinum). My current travel patterns is mostly North America and within Europe and a far cry from my pre-covid 15 long-haul and 20 European trips a year.

When it comes to SkyTeam, I have mostly done AF/KL/DL. Here I find the integration to work well. I find surprisingly the Delta SkyClubs to be better than AF/KL. Many rave about the AF Schengen lounge at CDG, but it has been madness every time I have visited. The pet peeve I have with SkyTeam is the lounge policy. For example, I cannot access a DL Club with status. I can access with my AMEX cards, but not SkyTeam status.

On the alliance side, I find the OneWorld benefits best followed by Star Alliance. OneWorld, it’s almost predominantly BA/AA with the occasional AY thrown in. Star Alliance, I see more variation although LH/LX features heavily.

Not all alliance travel is equal, but all JV travel is seamless for me regardless of DL/AF/KL/VS vs. BA/AA/IB/AY vs. LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/AC. As long as I stay within JVs, it works really well.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Have used AF and KLM several times flying ex UK via either CDG/AMS to Mexico City with an onward connection with AeroMexico to GDL where my son lives, always been able to select/book seats all the way thru, FBlue Plat.

In 2021(?) Aeromexico started a direct service GDL/MAD/GDL which is better for me on two counts, it avoids the chaos of changing terminals at MEX, and having a home in Spain, Madrid is a convenient starting point, so this is now my preferred route.

MrDarwin
    Participant

When it comes to JVs and partnerships I think it depends on the airlines involved. I’ve had real struggles with Oman Air and Malaysia Airlines. WY flight number on MH metal? No you cannot book a seat and you play ping pong between the two. I ended up with a helpful email address for a back office team at Oman who were able to fix this for me. Sadly the recent flight changes meant rerouting the return leg and the outward leg with MH has now lost the seat again and I’m back to square one (and give up tbh). This happened before and even at check in Oman couldn’t book a seat on the MH leg and we had to go to the transfer desk in KL to collect a boarding card and book a seat which is an incredibly poor experience for a business class fare – some partnership that’s supposed to be!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls