Skyroam Solis

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• w8ster
    Participant

Anyone have any view on a Skyroam Solis?
    – Reliability
    – Speed
    – Service

NorskSaint
    Participant

Sorry I can’t speak for the skyroam specifically but I was in the market for a similar device last year, in the end I went for a GLocalMe instead and have recommended to a few friends and family.

I tried to rent a skyroam in Miami last year, but it was proving too challenging to try them out, more research led me to GLocalMe which you can buy online, topup via an app and can be used by up to 5 devices. The costs are much better than anything offered by your service provider. I was in Singapore and paid 7 EUR for 1Gb of data over a 7 day period.

Definitely a feature for the magazine if you ask me.

Hope this helps.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Funnily enough, I just got a press release about it

Skyroam Solis – the best travel gadget for the tech savvy dad!

April 25th, 2019 – Father’s Day is right around the corner, meaning if you haven’t already thought of a few gifts for your dad, it’s probably about time! Forget the socks this year and give your dad the gift of affordable, unlimited WiFi with the Skyroam Solis.

If you’ve got the kind of dad who’s always equipped with the latest gadget, stays updated on all the tech news, and is more devoted to his smart devices than you are, then you should absolutely consider giving him the Skyroam Solis, a mobile hotspot and 6,000 mAh power bank combined that will definitely come in handy when he’s travelling internationally, being productive on his daily commute to work  or needs to stay connected to those that matter most to him while on the go.

If that doesn’t put you off, nothing will 🙂

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I’ve had my eye on the Skyroam Solis for a while now, but I already have a Pokefi which is a similar product with much cheaper rates.

The Skyroam Solis has coverage in about 130 countries, whereas Pokifi has only about half of that coverage area. But there’s a big difference in rates. The Skyroam Solis is US$9 per day, or if you take out a regular subscription it’s US$9 per month but with only a 1GB data allowance.

With Pokefi you can buy a block of data which can be used up as you need it over a period of 2 years. You get 5GB for US$15, which is actually comparable to what you’d pay using a local SIM card.

If Skyroam had a tariff which didn’t mean your data expired so fast I’d definitely go for it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

pointyendpreferred
    Participant

I agree completely with NorskSharp.

After doing my research I bought the GlocalMe G3 and have used it extensively.
    It is comforting to know that as soon as I land I can turn on my phone and be connected to a strong reliable signal at a reasonable price.
    I can highly recommend it.

philcape
    Participant

I have been using Skyroam’s predecessor to the Solis for many years now. The technology works pretty flawlessly – and earlier hiccups have now become minimal. For me the best thing is being able to use it only on days when I don’t have other sources of internet; great for when I’m on the road. Although having to use a whole “day pass” when you only need a few minutes does suck, the cost is low enough for me not to get too knotted about it. (They have discounted sales of day passes fairly regularly which brings the average price down significantly.) I have used it in numerous countries, most recently Madagascar.

Overall I’m a very satisfied customer. Though I do worry for how long they will continue to support my old (in tech terms, ancient!) device.

Stepanchina
    Participant

100% agreed with Chris in Makati, checked all options shown on this topic, nobody can bit Pokefi, I am buying usually 5GB with 2 Years expiration and using this package all around the world. Extremely convenient and comparable with local data plans.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls