Since when did AA’s main cabin extra become a recognised premium ‘cabin’?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

superchris
    Participant

According to BT article…’the carrier will operate a B787-8 in a three-class configuration on the route. The Dreamliner will be equipped with wifi and have 22 seats in business class, 48 in Main Cabin Extra (premium economy), and 150 in Main Cabin (economy).’

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102236/american-announces-los-angeles-tokyo-route

Im sure it would certainly interest HMRC to know that they market it as a premium cabin because they only charge APD of £71 for what HMRC refer to as Reduced rate (HMRC define this as for travel in the lowest class of travel available on the aircraft).
    BA on the other hand charge the increased amount for their premium economy product of £142.

So in conclusion, to claim AA have 3 class aircraft on this route is akin to stating that Ryanair operate 2 class aircraft by virtue of their front row seats.

Am I missing something??

Window-seat
    Participant

Excellent point! I’ve flown in AA main cabin extra – you get nothing premium. It is just bit more leg room, same seat, same food. And if you have do not eat the food.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Judging by Main Cabin Extra configuration on its B777-300ERs it was assumed that American was going to set itself apart from its US rivals.

But as we reported last month, the carrier has decided to change the seating and, except for legroom, bring it in line with economy.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102117/american-to-downgrade-main-cabin-extra

superchris
    Participant

Looks to me like AA speaketh from both ides of their mouth. To the taxman, playing down the product to ensure it is considered economy and to the public playing it up for it to be recognised as a premium economy product.

It does beg the question ‘what constitutes a premium cabin’ from an APD perspective? Meals? seat? legroom? dedicated toilets? curtain? I note that Lufthansa have chosen not to separate cabin / curtain – were there any tax reasons for this?

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

superchris,

I think what you’ve identified in this instance is tardy reporting, which I’m afraid to say is not an isolated incident for this publication. Main cabin extra is not premium economy. Thank you for calling it out!

icenspice
    Participant

Absolutely agree superchris. There is nothing ‘premium’ about MCE, although the extra legroom is very welcome on a transatlantic.

At least you don’t have to pay for it if you have oneworld status.

But just compare with BA WT+ on an old B772….nothing much premium about that either given the difference in price compared with Economy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls