Should Military Personnel in Uniform Board First?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

A peculiarly American thing; I am not sure what I feel about this.

American has an advert here which is meant to engender sympathy and approval for this policy; I think if I was the person in uniform, I would feel slightly awkward about it:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid87525913001?bctid=87384945001

NTarrant
    Participant

I think you are right VK about it being an American thing. I doubt any of the UK airlines would do the same as people would not be as sympathetic.

Living near a naval city, go back 20-25 years and the navy personel of both UK and visiting foreign walked around in uniform without any problems. There were a few elements that did a bit of “skate bashing” but if they were caught by the MP they got a thrashing around the back of the shops and no more said.

I suspect that most would feel awkward about it, different if they are disabled of course.

Delightful Mrs T’s Cheese, Tomato and onion pie with salad this evening.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

The (I am sure) equally delightful Mrs R’s low-fat Lancashire Hotpot (not badly produced for a Dutch lady). Washed down by 2 pints of Adnam’s at my local whilst she was off at Slimming World – and who said irony was a dead concept!

S

Potakas
    Participant

From my experience when i served my military duties to my country

i’ve learned that every citizen has priority and you always are onboard after all of them,

doesn’t matter if this is an airplane or a bus (specially for the bus you shouldn’t be sitted if someone is searching for a seat)

you are to serve every citizen and not take priority because you are uniformed.

Just an advertisement and nothing more, like the slogan AA had after 11/9 “We are an airline that is proud to bear the name American.”

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I would go a stage further – i woul dhave no problem in seeing military personel in uniform and returning home or going on duty being upgraded. That video bought a tear to my eyes. The impact of seeing senior american citizens standing to attention for a young girl off to represent her country. This has nothing to do with whether you believe in military service.

The Americans are very proud of their military – what do we end with, a drunked student urinating on a war memorial. When ever i am in Israel, i will always stop to given a soldier hitchhiking, a lift and these guys generally carry loaded weapons.

I have seen two powerful social “adverts” today. LBC a London talk show radio station were discussion the British welfare system and the new Governements attempt to reduce spending by cutting benefits to people underserving an dgetting them back to work. The abuse of it all – “why should I give up these benefits” “why should I work” – were the general statements coming out – then you see VK’ spost about US teenagers going to war and the question being asked should they be permitted to board an aircraft first.

You are damn right they should – look at the pride in the eyes of all those actors. That was a look of resepct you never see in the UK,

Great advert, great idea American – if only we gave as much respect to our soldiers and foreman.

oldchinahand
    Participant

Why in normal circumstances could there be any need or justification for military personnel to travel on scheduled flights in uniform ? I can think of none and many reasons why not.
    Apart from being the least comfortable way to dress for even a short flight the sight of military personnel seated in the cabin when they board would be disturbing to many people.
    Joining the military is for most a career choice, all be it arguably a worth while one and the uniforms purpose is related solely to the performance of the job.
    We don’t expect to see workers in other disciplined services strutting around in uniform while traveling or bus drivers off on a Spanish holiday in uniform, nurses on a girls weekend dressed for work. Our police force take great care not to travel in uniform for the good reason the the uniform is related to performing their job not for seeking approval or privilege from the general public for their choice of career.
    Martyn…those actors were I am sure well paid to look proud !

Potakas
    Participant

When i had to travel for military proposes i had to be uniformed,

it was a rule i had to follow. Although i disliked it ,i had to because there was always the fear of the MP.

P.S. In Greece every man has to serve his military obligations for 12 months.

oldchinahand
    Participant

P.Sepsas. The discussion I believe is whether or not the ‘patriotic’ views expounded in the AA commercial and strongly supported by Martyn are something that should be perused. My view is that the whole concept is a stupid and potentially dangerous one and as you posted just a way to sell AA to a gullible American public. I’m sure George W Bush loves it !
    If you are a conscript with no choice that is an entirely different matter of course.

Potakas
    Participant

Completely agree with you,

I thought that in my first post i was clear, just answered to you because maybe they have to be uniformed when they travel.

BlackTower
    Participant

Of greater import to me is the idea the the Qataris will let those in Uniform into Harrods now the sad Pharoh has sold out

That was a disgrace

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Its something called Pride! Yes they were actor, but have you tired to act with such pride.

When people use false names, its difficult to know who you are, where you, what nationality you are, but let me tell you in no uncertain terms, I am extremely grateful of our armed forces, I stand and offer my seat to a uniformed soldier as I would to an senior citizen on a bus or the tube. Its called Pride and its all got to do with RESPECT.

You will also note in the US that most of the airlines, theme parks, museums and other places of social interest and tranportation give their military personel discounts and accord all sorts of honours. What happens in the UK – you get accused of being a racist for flying the Union Jack in case it offends any immigrants who have decided to move to the UK for a better life.

As most of you know, I am British and I am Jewish and both in the UK and Israel I walk with pride esepcially when in the presence of the military, who put their lives on the line so that citizens and natinals of not only their own country but others can feel safer.

So back to American Airlines, actors or othrwise, i applaud American for showing the country the respect that they give to their militrary personel.

As far as a PR stunt, it is no different to BA or Virgin using the Union Jack as part of their aircraft paint scheme.

I am now waiting to hear about the nurses, police, doctors and other professions – please dont insult the military………………..!

NTarrant
    Participant

On reflection, if an airline chooses to allow military personel to board first then fine but having looked at the video again, I think the question should be do we need to draw attention to this “facility”?

Lets be real here, why did AA do the advert? Simple to pull on heart strings and get people to fly AA, media is a powerful thing and the message is powerful. AA also use the US flag colours the same way as BA and VS use GB flag colours.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Nigel

In my mind, seeing those young kids going to war is a very necerssary evil. I have a 13 year old, who in 4 years may serve in either the UK or Israeli army. I have pride and trepidation as only a parent can have.

Its very emotive.

starflyer
    Participant

Back to VK’s question: No they should not. Any democratic army should be a citizen’s army and therefore the same rules for the general populous should apply.

And as an aside: most of my service friends (in the US and elsewhere) find this sort of stuff cringe-worthy.

In any case I am more concerned that the US still does not allow its public servants fly non US carrier, there is real protectionism for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls