Shortage of actual “Duty Free” priced merchandise

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

I’ve noticed that in LHR and indeed Dublin that probably 90% of liquor for sale is “one price for all destinations”. There seems to be a massive shortage of “green label” goods where the price is lower since the item is for export to destinations outside the EU and hence is lower because the VAT and excise duty is removed.

I cannot understand why ALL these items are not dual priced (both for export or for domestic in EU consumption) so that travellers to USA etc can legitimately avail of the lower duty and excise free price.

Am I being too much of a conspiracy theorist in suggesting that sales to people possessing USA or other ex EU boarding cards from these “one price all destinations” goods results in the retailer claiming the Vat saving and not passing it on to the customer… Or indeed the Vat man getting additional revenue from a sale that ought to have been vat and duty free?

Next time you are in T5, see if you could purchase say a bottle of Chivas under a green label “to non EU destinations”. You will have to buy a multi pack…. A single bottle will not be available under the duty free label…. Also try a bottle of JW Blue label…. Not saleable as duty free only duty paid !!

SwissExPat
    Participant

Appears that the lack of duty free goods (especially in LHR) is not of major concern to Business travellers.

The BT magazine does allocate one page to this subject so maybe it can be discontinued?

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Gave up on so called “duty free”years ago but on last departure T4 was attracted to a 2 Bottle Ltrs pack of Bombay Sapphire and Sapphire East for 24 quid (sorry no pound sign on computer)

Retails in UK high street at no less than 20 a flagon so not a bad discount.

Always wanted to be a rubber planter …old Malaya etc so have now planted a couple of said trees and have started to build the “tiffin bar “in the house for future pinkers/stengher evenings when we can all sit around drinking and talking about the bygone Empire days.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I do not buy much alcohol at airports bar the occasional bottle of champagne, well twin pack ! I do buy cosmetics and have noticed that the saving are not often there anymore, I checked a face cream price recently and it was the same as Boots !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls