Shoddy business class service on Qatar Airways A380

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

I just flew my first long-haul flight on an A380, and my first A380 flight with Qatar Airways. I had to endure an exceptionally long lay-over in Doha to be able to try the A380 service and I was less than impressed with the service.
    I found the staff on board to be much less friendly and helpful than on other aircraft. I also noticed that they do not have their “Star Chefs” menu on this aircraft.
    I would have thought that QR would put their best food forward service-wise on their flagship but I was wrong. Is this a sign of a general downturn in QR service, or is it because the cabin size is almost double that of other longhaul aircraft, that service suffers?

NTarrant
    Participant

I have not done QR A380 yet, but certainly on the many other flights, including the A320’s has been good, very good or excellent. May be bad crew, time etc etc. but that’s not of course, the point

KSHaggag
    Participant

IstanbulWarrior ,

I understand your frustration especially that you went out of your way to sample the A380 and then got a big disappointment .When we fly a “signature ” aircraft on an airline especially after such a big Marketing hype ,we do expect a special experience .I am not sure whether you flew it to BKK,LHR or CDG .Generally ,QR is not too much preoccupied by providing a top notch service on a BKK flight ( usually predominantly booked by holiday makers,let alone backpackers ) .Maybe on a London flight they show the discrepancy and inconsistency more evidently .
    I feel the disappointment you went through coz I had the same experience on BA signature leg JFKLCY Biz only A318 service having fallen on a stupid ,unexperienced ,unprofessional couple of crew members which reflected on the appalling level of service ;the hardware was good though ( the food served was of an exceptinally good standard ,quite atypical of BA in that arena specifically ) ,but the service itself was a disgrace ,with rushy crew ,not even qualified for shorthaul Economy on a low cost carrier .
    I am not sure whether you liked the seat ,the cabin but if you are used to the 777-300ER ,I don t think you will like the A380 of QR too much .

MrDarwin
    Participant

I noticed that the service was less personable during meal services on the QR a380. I’ve had the same experience in other airlines’ a380 cabins that I’ve flown too where to serve such a large number of J passengers with a 5 course meal, the crew are more focused on their system of doing so than providing that more ‘individual’ service that you get in smaller cabins. I highly doubt that QR crew are trained to provide better or worse service depending on the route however.

I actually like the new seat design, mainly because there’s so many places to put things, the entertainment system is the newer offering and it has the best table for working on I’ve ever seen. The 777 offers incredible space, however it’s more open space rather than an ergonomic, useful space.

KSHaggag
    Participant

In such a case of larger biz cabins I would expect carriers to deploy more crew to serve .
    SQ crew members never made me feel the service is rushy on an A380 in Business Class .Never ! not even on the shorty SIN/HKG 3h45 min ride.

esselle
    Participant

Have flown many 380s, and my first time on QR’s version a couple of weeks ago in J was pretty faultless. Good seat, excellent food and drink quality, good IFE and, on my flight, very personal service.

Now the BA 380 F experience is something quite different; don’t get me started…………..

KSHaggag
    Participant

This might confirm my theory that QR segregates passengers by route .You get a better service on the LHR leg rather than on a BKK ride .

Of course ,we have to bear in mind that not all crew members are alike .Some are good ,others less so and some are mediocre .In an ideal world this should not exist .In other terms ,a ” so called ” five star carrier should not allow this to occur .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls