Severe turbulence.

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

LP – I’m also with you, I find it sends me off to sleep.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Which is what I’m going to do now, but in my own bed. No turbulence there. Good night all!

HongKongLady
    Participant

Ha ha Alexpo1 ‘Blue Nun’ now there’s a blast from the past.

StewartKidd1
    Participant

I’ve often wondered if there’s a scientific reason for the almost obligatory shake and rattle on the DBX/LHR route when traversing the Black Sea. Even though the rest of the trips can be totally without weather there always seems to be a 30 min stretch when even the 380’s shake.

Any one offer a view? Something to do with sea temperatures and heated land masses?

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Stewart….

Definately not a scientific explanation for turbulence, but It was explained to me years ago, when I was 12ish by a CP captain in the cockpit of a DC-8 above the S. Pacific …..as thus

imagine a pot of water…..the water heats up and starts to boil, at the top, the water becomes unsettled and starts to bubble….
    Turbulence is just air bubbles, when there is a difference in air temprature…..caused by heat rising from the ground….!!

Not very scientific….but I understood…hope this helps/.

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Works for me – thanks

DutchinSwitzerland
    Participant

Hi Stewart, had my black sea experience as well. On board of a China Southern flight from AMS to BKK, the entire flight was fine and we get to the black sea just as I was on the loo…… 🙁 not a nice experience sitting there doing your thing when the seatbelt sign comes up and within a minute all crew are directed to take their seats……..made it back to my seat by moving from one seatback to another…..and as you say, gone again after 20-30 mins….

kris_alpha
    Participant

Thanks everyone these were really interesting to read. three flights stand out for me. 1) Air kenya ASM-NBO in the middle of the night woke by significantly shaking of the aircraft, a jet passes at a distance enough that it was visible. Not sure anyone noticed, (not much air trafic control over Sudan?) 2) Air France city jet, EDI-LCY on approach caught by a side wind, wing veers heavily to the right, not far from touch down, the captain abandons landing, and revs engines, people screaming, and at least one guy throwing up. Landed the second time around at City 3) DAR — KIA, on ‘Precision Air’ (as opposed to their trade rivals imprecision air ?) More comic than terror Mid flight over Tanzania on a very hot plane, after I’d consumed their Carrot sandwiches and killi beer, captain comes on the speaker to announce “25,000ft, and so far, everything is fine” I thought that was a quality annoucment.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls