Seeking Advice for Business Travel in Chile 2024

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Echo3#5
    Participant

Hey there, fellow business traveler! So, I’m heading to Chile for work and I need some advice on where to stay, eat, and explore. Any recommendations? TIA.

cwoodward
    Participant

I don’t believe that there has ever been much on the forum but remembered this piece from the Daily Telegraph a while back which gave a fair bit of general information. It is in a holiday context but is informative.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/south-america/chile/articles/chile-ultimate-itinerary-holiday/

1 user thanked author for this post.

wastedlife
    Participant

Well, assuming you are going to Santiago, (from whence I have just returned) then by far the most foreigner friendly area of that city is the axis from Avenida Presidente Kennedy (at the Marriott hotel) along the river down to the Costanera Center. I believe the Pet Shop Boys stayed at the Mandarin Oriental (former Hyatt) at the other end of Kennedy from the Marriott when they were there a few weeks ago on their tour. I stayed there a decade ago when it was the Hyatt, and it is a very very good hotel, and Santiago is very much a first world city. I’ve had some fantastic upgrades at the Marriott in the past, enormous suites complete with a boardroom (more than once) but you can take your pick from hotels in any chain around there. Anywhere on the Kennedy axis is close to two huge shopping malls, which are in true LatAm style full of decent restaurants. That said, a (former) colleague of mine who has been living there for the last six years, with whom I had lunch, mentioned that the local food is rubbish, which explains the plethora of Peruvian and other better LatAm cuisine restaurants dotted around the city.

onajetplane
    Participant

I have stayed at the Aubrey hotel twice before and just thought it was such a find. A very special, private, unique property. Last time I was there was 2019, and having just googled – unclear if it is actually still open – potentially a pandemic victim?! But this would be a very different from the bigger corporate hotel offerings… albeit sadly it seems like this is an unhelpful, moot recommendation as it may be no more! Good luck with the trip – I have always enjoyed visits to Santiago!

Echo3#5
    Participant

Thank you all for your insights. I apologize for being busy last week, but I will definitely review all of your recommendations.

SenatorGold
    Participant

I visited Santiago in September/October 2022 and had a great time.

I stayed at the W Santiago in Las Condes, which is a very nice neighbourhood. There are plenty of restaurants in the near vicinity of the hotel. The staff at the W were excellent and the service very personal.

My recommendations for dining are:

La Dicha in the Vitacura neighbourhood – recommended to me by a gallery owner nearby
    Peumajen in Bella Vista for very good Chilean food
    Pinpilinpausha – near the W
    More noisy but not bad is Oporto, also near the W

My recommendations for places to visit:

A trip by teleferico to Cerro San Cristobal
    La Chascona – the home of Pablo Neruda which is fabulous
    Museo de Bellas Artes
    Contemporary Art Museum
    Walking around Bella Vista – there are cafes in Patio Bella Vista
    The Museum of Human Rights – not to be missed

You can also do day trip to the wineries in the Casablanca Valley as well as to the Andes. Jeep on Tour organises good trips.

The Metro is a good way to get around, but Uber is a very reasonable

Have a great visit!

2 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

To add to Senator Gold’s ideas for what to do:

– Definitely San Cristobil Hill (2 to 3 hours), as he wrote
    – Bicentenary Park and Botanical Gardens (2 to 3 hours)
    – Gran Torre Santiago, tallest building in South America – at 300m – with a great view and above a large shopping mall (1 to 2 hours)
    – A full day trip to Ski Portillo (at the Hotel Portillo, in the Andes, almost at the Argentinian border) – skiing not necessary to enjoy and including stopping at the (historical) Chacabuco monument area, on the way there.

ASK1945
    Participant

…………….. sorry, forgot to add; the Solace Hotel, very nice 4-star in a good area, about 1 km from the Gran Torre

Echo3#5
    Participant

Wow! Thank you so much for the recommendations, @Ask1945. I really appreciate your suggestions for dining and places to visit in Santiago. I’ll definitely check out La Dicha, Peumajen, Pinpilinpausha, and Oporto for some delicious meals since my family and I are all food lovers! And the Contemporary Art Museum sounds like a fantastic plan. Well, all of your suggestions are fantastic. I’ll definitely put those on my list. I’ll also make sure to take day trips to the Andes; this is also listed in most of the articles I’ve read, including the article that I’m currently reading https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-chile-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5558 Thanks again! Your advice is truly valuable.

Echo3#5
    Participant

Sorry I forgot to mention @SenatorGold, thank you so much again for the helpful tips and recommendations. Happy Holiday Everyone! 🍻

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls