South East Asia to re-open?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

• TGRW
    Participant

Thanks to all for adding information on their experiences, i can only agree, websites, passes, apps and documentation.

I have to agree with K1ngston, SE Asia is slowly opening, the way the populations have been informed on the virus, regaining the trust and confidence to travel is going to take a long time.

Singapore this morning 29th March, no longer requires a mask outside, for myself and friends this has been liberating and I type this at 0930 on the 29th. During my travels this morning I only counted 6 people sans mask out of the 300 to 400 people I passed outside. It will take time.

3 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

TGRW I am looking out my window now and have to agree, I only thought it would be expats but its everyone albeit as mentioned the nuance is that they could switch back anytime if they deemed it fit… I dont know where you are in SG but we should try and reach out, always nice to share a dram with likeminded people!

Below a link from CNA today from a respected source on their take on “Singapore’s opening”… enjoy

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/commentary/travel-masks-covid-tourism-attract-visitors-2591191

Polly
    Participant

Hi K1ngston
    Thanks for your info too. You know how much we miss our twice yearly visits to fabulous Asia. Have just booked the W agin, extremely optimistic of of us, l know, but as we arrive there post cruise, god help us after last November experience… So, thought it would be nice to spend a few days out on Sentosa again.. so expect to see you on your bike, for lunch again! We have to hope, but as long as everything one books can be fully cancelled, think we will be ok. Thailand is the only one catching up now, and Bali trying very hard. Reports from inaugural flight yesterday on QR sound promising. Empty airport and streets, so so sad.
    As you say, Asia needs us to visit, but absolutely no tests on arrival ever again for me. I trusted Singapore, and it failed me…

Keep the reports coming, all very very valuable information and reading material…..

1 user thanked author for this post.

TGRW
    Participant

K1ngston,

I am based in Tiong Bahru, as you say always a pleasure to share a refreshing beverage with like minded people. I am travelling from Singapore next week and will be back in mid May, be great to arrange something upon my return.

Enjoy the freedom of being maskless outside.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207602]
    Can’t wait to see you hear again Polly, if not on the island (Sentosa) we can find a local eatery that we can all enjoy? Safe travels and see you soon

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207680]
    Safe travels and look forward to meeting upon your return! With respect to the mask wearing interesting to see that expats embraced the maskless rule and didn’t see one with a mask, however locals were more circumspect with most still wearing masks!

I have my theories and my husband agrees ( who is Singaporean) but will keep them to myself 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The good news was that again I got through BKK airport within 15 minutes of walking off the aircraft from G gates..

But Thailand is not helping itself with ridiculous amount of duplicated information and paper work. Despite the Thailand pass requiring an upload of my passport and hotel reservation, I was presented with additional (covid related) forms to complete pre landing. Passport number written in 3 places, name and address of hotel … again… and another inspection of ALL papers on arrival – so what is the actual point of the Thailand pass?

Then the sad part – to see rows upon rows of stored aircraft on taxi ways and the apron. I am sure Thailand will recover, but Asia needs to work together to make travel work again.

5 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207850]

It seems each country is in competition with each other to come up with the most ridiculous rules that they dont have the ability to reverse…. Madness

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1207851]It seems each country is in competition with each other to come up with the most ridiculous rules that they dont have the ability to reverse…. Madness[/quote]

You are right K1ngston – but there is one additional problem – as alluded to in other threads. For the last 2 and half years, we have heard the “Due to covid” excuse. This is now being replaced by “due to staff shortages”….

I accept people are still off work with “colds” and I accept there are 2 nations very sadly at war, but where have all the other workers (skilled and unskiled) gone…???

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=1207860]I accept people are still off work with “colds” and I accept there are 2 nations very sadly at war, but where have all the other workers (skilled and unskiled) gone…???
    THANKS[/quote]

When treated so badly by their previous employers they have probably moved on to bigger and better things, lets face it with BA and companies of that ilk the bar was pretty low in the first place!

4 users thanked author for this post.

Polly
    Participant

Martyn
    Good to hear you got in without too much hassle… just waiting for the golden law, no tests on entry. We know it’s a great money spinner locally atm. Authorities will be rather reluctant to let go of that one. Bali looking to emulate, but are very late to the game. We are chancing avios flights from Singapore to DPS for November, an Amex One Fine Stay villa booking that has been rolled over now for 2 years, and this is our last chance to use it, or lose it, as it were… would hate to give that up, as the refunds would be a nightmare, couple of cards later, as it were.

November can’t come soon enough @ K1ngston!

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Went back to Scotland at Christmas needed a few things done including getting a Modena Booster shot at Hampden park. However it was 8 weeks before I got my verification certificate. Had to register with a local Glasgow GP and get an SCO NHS number..so far so good Anyway got back end of March on Etihad (gold card)and so easy. Did all the docs including Insurance from the Nationwide BS.with “Test and Go” at Holiday Inn Exp Soi 11.very helpful with approved response within 3 days. Inspection check at Suwanna took all of 2 minutes.Van to PCR site very quick and a negative result at 9pm….15 minutes later sitting in The “Mucky Duck” but missed the Happy Hour.Good to be back..

2 users thanked author for this post.

norbert2008
    Participant

Odd to see BA not planning a return to BKK anytime soon?

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1208778]

The entry restrictions probably put them off and again probably the yields are not there unlike SG or HKG which is more business travel unlike the flight to BKK which if I remember was on metal probably older than I am!!!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1208779]The entry restrictions probably put them off and again probably the yields are not there unlike SG or HKG which is more business travel unlike the flight to BKK which if I remember was on metal probably older than I am!!!![/quote]

Or BA9 and BA 10 are making more revenue flying cargo than passengers….

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls