Save Concorde Group Launches New Website

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

The Save-Concorde Group was, sadly, a rather amateurish outfit from the beginning.

Unsurprisingly, they have little to show for the six years since Concorde was taken out of service.

Rather than the grandiose and financially prohibitive aiming of relaunching passenger service, which for a wide range of reasons simply will never happen, they should have focussed on a preservation, archive and educational role.

That I think would have been a success.

Here is the new site, nonetheless:

http://www.save-concorde.co.uk

NTarrant
    Participant

I have to agree that if it were about preservation and making it more accessable then I would sign up today. But to campaign for it to fly is time and money wasted, just not going to happen, very sad that is.

VintageKrug
    Participant

A rather well made bit of nostalgia, celebrating her 27 years, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxy9KcZ0iWk

NTarrant
    Participant

Thanks for finding that, a most enjoyable five and half minutes. As you say well put together with some nice clips.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It seems that a Concorde conservation group in France is planning to put this UK-based group’s effort to shame by taxi-ing an Air France Concorde under its own power…:

http://www.concordesst.com/latestnews.html

NTarrant
    Participant

Indeed a most proffessional looking site and up to date.

Potakas
    Participant

Seems more sad that they removed it from Heathrow and it was replaced by an Emirates A380,

Ok they have to make money but concorde is part of British aviation history, not a plane that was there for advertising.I feel unlucky that i am so young that i didn’t and i cannot fly with concorde.

Has anyone of you ever traveled with it? Can you tell anything about this experience?

NTarrant
    Participant

The site which now has the A380 costs the airlines thousands of pounds a year in advertising. I know what you are saying but it would be a bit silly to advertise something which no one will travel on now.

I travelled once on Concorde (JFK-LHR) it was a fantastic experience which I will cherish for the rest of my life. Sorry don’t have time to write abou it here.

SSTBeliever
    Participant

I was fortunate enough to travel on the BA Concorde on a number of occassions – it certainly was a memorable experience from check in to check out – no modern first class experience (that I have come across) comes remotely near it. It was even more enthraling than flying in the western fighters of its generation (with the possible exception of the English Electric (BAe) Lightning) which could, literally, just about get you out of this world!

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I too was fortunate enough to travel on Concorde on 3 separate occassions. I was very lucky as BA ran a promotion inorder to get more passengers using their regional flights from Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow to JFK in business class. If you did then you got a guaranteed upgrade to Concorde for your return.

I was, as you can imagine, very happy to fly to Manchester and Glasgow in order to fly back to LHR aboard ‘The Concorde’. (Tjhe shuttle flight wasincluded in the fare)

The whole experience was absolutely amazing from beginning to end. the service was exemplary, the food was very good too. My only complaint was that at 6 feet 4 inches there was not much legroom but that was a very small price to pay to get from JFK to LHR in 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Like Nigel said above something I consider myself very lucky to have experienced and will never forget.

Safe travels,

Jonathan

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

I also was lucky enough to travel a few times on the magnificent plane – what a great shame for the aviation industry when they retired the fleet. Jonathan – I feel your pain re:legroom as am 6 feet 3 myself – not that it made a difference!!

I somehow feel I have experienced something that not even my children will get to experience in their lifetime.

How long will it be before its economical to design and build an supersonic passenger aircraft again ?!

Binman62
    Participant

Flew the atlantic five times, 3 to New York and once to Washington. I even managed on one very memorable trip to secure the fabled 1A. Loved the takeoff espcially the slight fall when the boosters were switched off shortly after becoming airborne. And the smell…….leather aviation fuel and something I never found out about. It was once described simply as………….Money!!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

This site is rather better I think:

http://heritageconcorde.com/

NTarrant
    Participant

Yes it certainly is. Very proffessional.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls