SAA back in profit?!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Things are improving rapidly at SAA. Announcement this morning that recent profits will enable total repayment of all previous loans to the South African government.
    This will shock ministers who will be required to pay back all purloined money!!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Interesting timing and I hope it’s true, because I was on an SAA domestic flight earlier this morning and I’m about to connect to a regional.

I was favorably impressed this morning with the cleanliness of the cabin on the four-year-old Airbus, crew very friendly, I didn’t eat breakfast but it looked ok.

Boarding and departure were smack on time.

Hopefully this is a turn around for them.

capetonianm
    Participant

I got up extremely early this morning, 0315, and I am a bit dozy as a result, but I now suspect that Openfly’s posting is appropriate in the context of today’s date!

I am not usually caught out so easily!

3 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

The full story is that when I went to check in this morning for my early morning flight the lady asked me for my ID document and then handed me my boarding pass and asked me for my South African tax identity number. I asked her why and she gave an enigmatic smile and said: “you don’t have to give it to us but I suggest it will be to your benefit to do so as SAA has started making a profit.”

I went through security, and at the boarding gate they handed me an envelope with the SARS (South African Revenue Services)logo in the top left hand corner. Once I got on board I opened the letter and read:

“Dear Mr Capetonian, today is Monday the 1st of April. did you really think you were going to get a refund of all the money that we’ve squandered and pilfered from your tax payments?”

At that point I woke up and my tea was cold.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Made me chuckle even if I’m reading a few days late!

On a serious note, and politics aside, I’ve always found the Business Cabin of SAA to be not only extremely clean, but also very comfortable. The amount of space on the 330’s is amazing and very conducive to a good sleep. The crew are usually very friendly, but the meal, while plentiful, does not always look very appetizing.

However, the inland routes to the smaller airports such as George, served by SA Express are awful. Very expensive, cramped, oft surly cabin crew and usually very late which makes booking them for an onward connection very risky. So bad is it, that when booking a through ticket, LX/LH/SAA put you on the morning flight without offering the afternoon one since they know they are responsible for rebooking you etc if the flight is delayed or cancelled (which it often is!) so even they do not trust them.

capetonianm
    Participant

Vuyani Jarana, who might have been a ray of hope in turning around the fortunes of SAA, has resigned.

Reading between the lines of his statement, it is clear that he can’t work in the environment of pilfering and incompetence which has come to mark the airline.

Sad but not unexpected.

SAA CEO Vuyani Jarana resigns

https://www.fin24.com/Economy/saa-ceo-vuyani-jarana-resigns-20190602?

shared via @Fin24

SimonS1
    Participant

A good start to Cyril’s brave new administration then.

Let’s be honest, the airline is a good example of the wider SA, a total basket case. As soon as the inevitable downgrading to junk comes it will all unwind rapidly.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

The “dysfunctional” South African Airways needs a new CEO with an aviation background, Grant Back, chair of the SAA Pilots’ Association said in a statement on Monday.

It would seem a good idea. Pity that nobody else thought of this, it doesn’t require the genius of Einstein.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=938036]

The “dysfunctional” South African Airways needs a new CEO with an aviation background, Grant Back, chair of the SAA Pilots’ Association said in a statement on Monday.

It would seem a good idea. Pity that nobody else thought of this, it doesn’t require the genius of Einstein.[/quote]

Coleman Andrews may be available. Or perhaps not after his book.

cwoodward
    Participant

SimonS1
    Participant

Well at least they have had the sense to appoint an acting CEO who knows what an airplane looks like.

Really sad to see the decline of SAA under Zuma’s “friend” Dudu Myeni. Even more ironic that she was eventually removed by Malusi Gigaba, who in turn removed himself after exposing himself (yes really) and being caught lying on oath.

All part and parcel, I guess.

capetonianm
    Participant

Maybe the lady would like to have a chat to the current occupant of 10 Downing Street, in respect of being handed poisoned chalices.

Zuks Ramasia is a seasoned SAA executive. She has worked at the airline for seven years and currently holds two demanding portfolios on the SAA Exco. As head of operations, she ensures that planes get up and down efficiently – about the key role in any airline.

Whether she has the financial acumen to turn around the ailing carrier, and the gravitas and tenacity to stand up to those above her who wish to carry on plundering the airline and using it for their own purposes, remains to be seen.

I fear she will be just another sacrificial lamb.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=942841]I fear she will be just another sacrificial lamb.[/quote]

Undoubtedly. 9 CEOs in 10 years (10 if you include Bezuidenhout appointed twice) says you would get very short odds at the bookies on that one.

I don’t think Houdini could turn that business around, in fact hasn’t Tito Mboweni already thrown in the towel on SAA?

capetonianm
    Participant

Apparently the staff are protesting at some of the offices against the resignation of Jarana. No, I don’t understand either!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls